12/07/2010 W 59-48 vs. Auburn Riverside 28
12/09/2010 W 59-52 at Kent-Meridian 26
12/11/2010 W 61-42 at Tahoma 27
Totals 102
Points Per Game 25.5

We have a very good kid. :agreed:

hooter73
12-12-2010, 03:48 AM
hows he looking other than a box score? Assists? Smarts? D? Flair? Wish we had better access to their game highlights. If I remember right he has decent team mates and decent opponents so those are nice numbers.

Im pretty excited to see how our recruits do this year and really excited to see them suit up in a GU uniform next year.

ZagLawGrad
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
A word of caution on the stats. They don't define alone how a high school player will transition into college ball.

These are good stats for Bell so far, but Abdul Gaddy of Bellarmine Prep had very good numbers when he headed from high school to UW. Gaddy's first season for the Huskies was not a memorable one.

maynard g krebs
12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
hows he looking other than a box score? Assists? Smarts? D? Flair? Wish we had better access to their game highlights. If I remember right he has decent team mates and decent opponents so those are nice numbers.

Im pretty excited to see how our recruits do this year and really excited to see them suit up in a GU uniform next year.

Soph year he had some good seniors with him, and they made state and won a game or two if memory serves. Last year Gary had to carry the team. In the game I saw v. Kentwood, Gary tried to get his teammates involved in the first half, but all were completely overmatched, so in the second half he just looked to score.

Considering the team he plays for (unless they've added someone- haven't seen em this yr) 4 apg is pretty good. On a better team he'd score a bit less and get a few more assts. Very good passer.

ZagNative
12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Gary's stat line for the year so far:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-12-13GaryBellStats.jpg

He has a big game coming up tomorrow (http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/ken/sports/111763929.html) (Tuesday, Dec. 14, at Kentwood.

Now, however, the Conquerors turn their attention toward Kentridge and star Gary Bell. The Conquerors play host to the Chargers (3-0 in league, 4-0 overall) at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in a showdown between unbeatens.

Bell enters the game as the South Puget Sound League’s leading scorer, averaging 25.5 points per game.

“We’re hoping he fouls out,” Davis joked in regards to the Kentridge star. “Gary, in my mind, is the most skilled, complete player in the state of Washington.”

MDABE80
12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Looks like our boy could use some FT practice. He does light things up though! He won't get 8 rpg in college but he's playing on a smaller team so I guess somebody has to go get the ball.
55% shooting from the floor is good. TO's @ 2.5/gm isn't. This will change.

I agree with Davis...he is the best player in the state this year. His defense is just SO good.

I wonder if we could find some data on Kevin too?? Dranginis? I dunno how to find it ZN. Any tips? Spangler's only had two games but he's doing quite well. Obviously!

ZagNative
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Abe, I got Gary's stats from the Kentridge Chargers excellent bb site (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/A3MtKcG3TUOvEcxVRI8Lwg/bridge-creek-bobcats/basketball/schedule.htm) on this page. I copied and pasted into a spreadsheet and computed Gary's totals and averages, which I didn't find on Kentridge's site. Only downside of Kentridge's site is there is sometimes a delay of a day or two for them to update the box scores.

For Spangler, I haven't yet found a way to find detailed stats for this year. It's been hit or miss with few google hits for Ryan coming up. MaxPreps does have game scores here (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/A3MtKcG3TUOvEcxVRI8Lwg/bridge-creek-bobcats/basketball/schedule.htm) (Bridge Creek has played four games and is undefeated), but no detailed box scores.

For Dranginis, BobZag sometimes receives detailed box scores, which I can upload to google docs for GU fans to peruse. Other than that, best source seems to be the Idaho Statesman Skyview page (http://varsityextra.idahostatesman.com/boys-basketball-team.php?teamid=14), but little detail.

For Pangos, I'm at a complete loss. No clue. Press coverage of HS hoops in Ontario has seemed to be sparse at best.

If anyone has any hot links or sources for any of the kids, they'd sure be welcome.

Games coming up for our 2011 kids this week:

Gary Bell Tue, Dec 14 @Kentwood
Sarbaugh Tue, Dec 14, 7:00 PM Mead @ Gonzaga Prep
Dranginis Tue Dec 14, 7:30PM @ Mountain Home High School
Spangler Fri Dec 17 2010,6:30 PM @ Lexington (Lexington, OK)

MDABE80
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Sure that he's the best player in the state? Yes...I'm sure. He's the best. If you're thinking that the "best" would be a one and done and then off to somewhere in the NBA, we don't agree. I think that's a limited measuring stick.
He's the best HS kid in the state. We got a superior player. Thee very best for us. I like him better than Wroten. His temperment is better suited and so are his talents. Pangos has just as many skills. He's not quite so athletic in terms of leaping and footspeed. He's got the skills required of a SG and a PG (which is where he'll play). Pangos is off scale in his BBall IQ.

I think in Bell, Pangos and Dranginis..we acquired the best three "out front" kids west of the Rockies in this class. Bell's special because not only is he really good, he can play both guard spots and can shift over to the 3 spot ifFew wants a 3 guard offense.

pbriz
12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't like to hype kids too much but I just can't see how Bell won't slide into Gray's spot next year.

Meech may be replaced with Pangos halfway through the year but I highly doubt he starts from day one.

The beauty of Bell is that we can run him as a PG. A lineup of Bell, Arop, Monninghof, Dower, and Sacre would not surprise me as next years season progresses.

ZagsObserver
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Meech will be replaced by Pangos next year IMO. Few was on the verge of starting Carter instead of Meech, but Carter was a disappointment, which necessitated that Meech start. Believe me, loyalty to seniors only goes so far - when you have a position that has struggled mightily, you use the gifts that are bestowed upon you in the Class of 2011.

mgadfly
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't like to hype kids too much but I just can't see how Bell won't slide into Gray's spot next year.

I am one who doesn't expect much out of freshmen and has consistently maintained that we often times see the "potential" of new players and compare that with the "actual" of our current players. And because of that I think many fans are too quick to think that Player X should be replaced by a new player (How Meech should have replaced Pargo and Sacre should have replaced Heytvelt and so forth)...

However, I honestly believe that Bell gets a significant number of minutes early in the season and might be the starter by Christmas. The only way I don't see him sliding into Gray's spot sooner rather than later is if he slides into Meech's spot. Having watched a good number of his games I see him as a high level point guard that can shoot. We could play him as a "2" but he can really play either guard spot and our need (I've never seen Pangos play so can't speak about whether he will fill this need) is at point more than SG.

2wiceright
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Plays smart and in control. Doesn't run out of ideas when he crosses the 10-second stripe like our current "hero." He could start tomorrow, as could Pangos.
Would put Bell at PG and Pangos at shooting guard. For the remainder of this season, Few should consider a lineup that goes without a PG. It has been done before. Have never seen Bell drive into tall timbers and throw up prayers, like our "hero." Bell is a thousand times more creative and sees the floor holistically.

Do you really need the sarcasm or that "hero" crap??? Like him or hate him he hustles his butt off for our team, leaves it all on the floor, and always has a good attitude and demeanor. He's a good kid, and one of ours. Why the need for the sarcasm, or does it make you feel better about yourself?

Ezag
12-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to crown Bell or anyone a 20pt a night scorer off the bat. Remember, this current crop was supposed to be one of our best recruiting classes ever, or at least that was being touted around here and most have yet to deliver or have delivered very little.

Meech averaged 17pts, 8 assists as a senior in H.S

Olynyk averaged 35pts, 13 rpg a game as a senior in H.S.

Carter scored something like 35 pts in JC championship game last year and can barely function in Div 1 Ball.

ZagNative
12-14-2010, 01:50 AM
There is nothing one can post on guboards that doesn't bring out the bashers of the current squad. Man, it gets tiresome ...

mgadfly
12-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to crown Bell or anyone a 20pt a night scorer off the bat. Remember, this current crop was supposed to be one of our best recruiting classes ever, or at least that was being touted around here and most have yet to deliver or have delivered very little.

Meech averaged 17pts, 8 assists as a senior in H.S

Olynyk averaged 35pts, 13 rpg a game as a senior in H.S.

Carter scored something like 35 pts in JC championship game last year and can barely function in Div 1 Ball.

I agree with the general sentiment that people on this Board shouldn't get too hyped up about the incoming guys. They are freshmen, they have a lot to learn, they may be a bust. The 2009 season was frustrating for me because we were very good with super talented players and still people thought we should bench our proven veterans for young guys who weren't ready (including Meech). But...

I'm completely dismissing all statistics (well at least mostly dismissing).

I've watched Bell play as I have watched a lot of GU recruits (and recruits for other major programs) and although I recognize the possibility of him being a bust, I believe he is one of the top 5 recruits we've had in the last decade.

He will be anywhere from 7th man to a starter next season. I'm not sure if he will have a freshman year like Bouldin or Daye, but I think he could have a similar impact as Morrison (as a freshman - I'm not suggesting he'll ever have a season like Morrison's junior year). He's good. Real good. Be happy he is coming to GU.

cjm720
12-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Bell, Pangos, Draganis are clearly superior than Few's latest generation of guards in Meech, Gibbs, and Vilarino. None of the latter averaged more than 20 points per game in high school. These kids, if all worked out, would have mitigated this year's weakness.

Bell will start from day 1 more than likely.

The future is certainly bright.

Paint.It.Gray
12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I haven't been able to find many stats on Pangos, but his team is killing it. They're 4-0 with 314 PF and 169 PA, and beat the Sacred Heart (team in 2nd) by 37.

It looks like he scored 33 one game in a pre-season tourny and 27 in the final of another tourny, where he was named the MVP. If this stuff has been posted already, my bad!
http://devel2.yraa.com/src/standings.php?division=23
http://www.hooptowngta.com/25PtsClubSB.php

ZagKing09
12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
I think in Bell, Pangos and Dranginis..we acquired the best three "out front" kids west of the Rockies in this class. Bell's special because not only is he really good, he can play both guard spots and can shift over to the 3 spot ifFew wants a 3 guard offense.

Agreed except Pangos comes to us from east of the Rockies :D

:doh:

Pargo the Destroyer
12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Goodness, how quick some of you are to annoint HIGH SCHOOL KIDS as our saviors. Its high school folks, If you think Washington HIGH SCHOOL basketball is anywhere near the same in competitiveness as D1 hoops then you need your eyes checked. Same can be said for Canadian HIGH SCHOOL basketball or Idaho or where ever Draginis is from.

Hopefully these 2 words will bring you back to the ground. Bol Kong (and he wasnt even a freshman).

Expectations of a 17-18 yr old typically should be tempered. I am excited that they all show potential, and hope that they enjoy their senior year in HIGH SCHOOL.

ZagNative
12-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Anyone on the west side planning to watch the Kentridge-Kentwood matchup at Kentwood at 7:30 tonight?

Ezag
12-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Goodness, how quick some of you are to annoint HIGH SCHOOL KIDS as our saviors. Its high school folks, If you think Washington HIGH SCHOOL basketball is anywhere near the same in competitiveness as D1 hoops then you need your eyes checked. Same can be said for Canadian HIGH SCHOOL basketball or Idaho or where ever Draginis is from.

Hopefully these 2 words will bring you back to the ground. Bol Kong (and he wasnt even a freshman).

Expectations of a 17-18 yr old typically should be tempered. I am excited that they all show potential, and hope that they enjoy their senior year in HIGH SCHOOL.

+1

MDABE80
12-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Duh nuthing...this is the best class WEST of the Rockies...doesn't matter where they come from. Our team is WEST!. Read it again...although I reread it and it's not specific. My fault..I guess...

MDABE80
12-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Duh nuthing...this is the best class WEST of the Rockies...doesn't matter where they come from. Our team is WEST!. Read it again...although I reread it and it's not specific. My fault..I guess...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2013680704_ringer15.html

mgadfly
12-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Anyone on the west side planning to watch the Kentridge-Kentwood matchup at Kentwood at 7:30 tonight?

I was going to if I could settle the case I have scheduled for hearing tomorrow. But the opposing party rejected our last offer of settlement and I spent the time preparing for the hearing.

The game I really don't want to miss is Garfield vs Rainier Beach in mid to late January. There will be a lot of talent at that game (even if none of it is coming to GU).

ZagNative
12-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Box score from the Kentwood Game, with my computation of Gary's season averages below:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-12-14BellKentwood.jpg

Stats for the season to date:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-12-14BellSummaryStats-1.jpg

Those stats are the result of copying and pasting from the Kentwood Chargers excellent website (http://www.kentridgebasketball.com/game.jsp).

Next up: Kentlake at Kentridge Wednesday, Dec. 17

stretchlimo
12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Lots of great game photos from Doug Zylstra at waprepsports.net (http://waprepsports.net/). Hit his handiwork here (http://www.waprepsports.net/photos/12-14-10-bh-kr-kw-doug/index.html).

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/gbj1.png

MDABE80
12-15-2010, 07:51 PM
This is an exciting kid. He gets up as is shown in the above photo.
I think he'll be a great on for the Zags. It's been a long time since we had those guards that made GU what it is today. It's my opinion that the program has lost its way. Gary and Kevin gives us an opportunity to return to what drove the program to greatness.

ZagNative
12-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I love following kids like Gary, but is every darned one of these threads going to be about either a) Overhyping a great kid to show how good the Zags are to have gotten him; or b) Using the kid to make another tiresome shot at the staff or at current players?

Is there no joy allowed in Mudville?

sonuvazag
12-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I love following kids like Gary, but is every darned one of these threads going to be about either a) Overhyping a great kid to show how good the Zags are to have gotten him; or b) Using the kid to make another tiresome shot at the staff or at current players?

I am enjoying your contributions. Hope you don't let the other stuff stop you.

Birddog
12-16-2010, 04:40 AM
ZN is our own "Apple Mary" in these most depressive times.

MDABE80
12-16-2010, 10:57 AM

ZN...I think everyone on this board was surpised to get Bell or Pangos. We praise both because I think we know how good these two are. Doesn't have much to do with a deteriorating Zag situation. Doesn't have much to do with the glory days. We scored two beuties who, by any stretch of the imagination, should be at Duke or one of those places like Duke. But GU got em..much to my surprise.

We have lousy guards...PG's. I don't think we need to use these two new kids to know that. So far, their work speaks for itself...sad to say. Much loved and revered ZN. Keep posting ..the new kids are fascinating. Dranginis and Spangler are still a bit mysterious.