PDA

View Full Version : This is depressing.

HOOTER
12-11-2010, 06:45 PM
That's all I can say about it.

ZagLawGrad
12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
That's all I can say about it.

Better effort, better play, but not good.

HOOTER
12-11-2010, 06:50 PM
This season is driving me to drink.

Baldwinzag
12-11-2010, 06:51 PM
What is even more depressing is the fact we were the bigger, stronger, faster team and we attempted only 12 FT's, while Notre Dame attempted 36 FT's.

The biggest foul discrepancy in Gonzaga history.

Its like our size is discriminated against this season, b/c I can't understand why we can't draw more fouls like in year's past?

We must begin to take full advantage of our size & strength as a team.

Random thought-> Just as we said last season, Manny should shoot more from the long range.

Reborn
12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
What was depressing about this game? Geeze guys....What do you expect going into Notre Dame? Gonzaga played pretty darn good man. Look at the freethrow discrpency....that was one major homer job. And they had us in deep foul trouble which was just as important as the number of FT attempts they got. The thing that bugs me is that GU will aways gt homered on the road. And wait and see, when a school comes into GU we will still get homered even in our gym.

Much better game out of Steven, Elias, and Robert. That was a huge plus. And of course Manny gave us a great game tonight. He had the fire, and Im not surprised that that one shot went in, because yu could see the fire in him that whole second half. Harris and Sacre still lack fire in my opinion, and are playing without passion. Robert Sacre never passes the ball. NEVER. At least Ellias is doing it once in awhile. Unfortunately nothing from most of the other guys.....Olynyk played too much in my opinion, and when Few put him and monninghoff in when Steven and Elias went out in foul trouble that hurt us, especially Olynyk. Few refuses to play Dower more for some reason.

Real good game by Gonzaga......Way to go team. It's something to build on. At least we came out fighting and fought for most of the game

Horned Frog
12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
What is even more depressing is the fact we were the bigger, stronger, faster team and we attempted only 12 FT's, while Notre Dame attempted 36 FT's.

The biggest foul discrepancy in Gonzaga history.

Its like our size is discriminated against this season, b/c I can't understand why we can't draw more fouls like in year's past?

We must begin to take full advantage of our size & strength as a team.

Random thought-> Just as we said last season, Manny should shoot more from the long range.

Agree:
1. Feed the post more against smaller teams.
2. Manny shoot more.

HOOTER
12-11-2010, 07:00 PM
What was depressing about this game?

Um...let me think....maybe it's because THEY LOST AGAIN!! And whats worse is this was a very winnable game. Very winnable. They're 4-5. What's not depressing about this situation?

gonwick
12-11-2010, 07:05 PM
At least it was interesting in the end. Wish they'd showed that intensity the whole game.

Watching this year's Zags is frustrating on many levels. Hard to narrow the many down, but dumb plays and underachievement are probably the most frustrating. In every game there will be head scratching plays, but I feel like there are an inordinate amount this year. Forced shots, dumb passes and dumber turnovers. In years past, when we got behind, I expected us to find a way to win. Now, when we're ahead, I wait for us to find a way to blow it.

They made progress tonight on some levels, but the OOC schedule is pretty much a lost cause and we're going to need to win the WCC tourney to get in. Even if we beat Baylor and Memphis, I doubt that's enough to accomplish anything. I wish we had a better track record in the WCC tourney. I was surprised to see Knight less concerned than I am about Gonzaga's prospects, but he isn't really a details sort of guy.

allnet59
12-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Get used to it without a legit point guard who can dish out assits and score it's as good as it's gonna get. Even Carter looks shell shocked when he's in there. Stockton at least looks to score which helps to reduce double teams down low. The best part of this game even in a losing fashion was Sacre finally quit putting the ball on the floor and turned and shot the ball. Now with a few more offensive rebounds and less fouls who knows.

GrizZAG
12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Um...let me think....maybe it's because THEY LOST AGAIN!! And whats worse is this was a very winnable game. Very winnable. They're 4-5. What's not depressing about this situation?

Showed they wanted it more
MA and Dower showing stuff
Lots to be encouraged about with a lot of new young players in rotation
Think ND respects us? Damn right they do.
Elias looking better and better game by game
A lot to be encouraged about

How many really thought we had a great chance at winning this? Really, after what we have shown against other high level teams? I am jacked and applaud what looks like we are darn close to breaking out.

I want to see our team play like they WANT it! Like SD did to us in Spokane.
Someone said "passion"....BINGO!

HOOTER
12-11-2010, 07:23 PM
How many really thought we had a great chance at winning this?

I guess that's whats so depressing. They had a shot at finally winning against a tough opponent, an opponent that probably should have won easily. It's gotta be somewhat demoralizing for them to fight so hard and still not come away with the W. I just can't get excited about a loss.

mnzag24
12-11-2010, 07:23 PM
can we please stop getting sucked in down low and leaving them wide open for 3s? Harris did this multiple times without providing any actual help. Meech does it as well. THere aren't many big men, certainly none on Notre Dame, that will be able to go against Rob 1 on 1 and consistently make shots. This should be fixed by now.

TheZagPhish
12-11-2010, 07:43 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HOOTER again.

It's all good.

HOOTER
12-11-2010, 07:46 PM
It's all good.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheZagPhish again.

Thanks bud.

montanazag88
12-11-2010, 09:07 PM
can we please stop getting sucked in down low and leaving them wide open for 3s? Harris did this multiple times without providing any actual help. Meech does it as well. THere aren't many big men, certainly none on Notre Dame, that will be able to go against Rob 1 on 1 and consistently make shots. This should be fixed by now.

Agree. It's really not the double team that is the problem, it is the recovery....most good double teams first stop the dribble and/or mobility and then do one of two things well almost instantly....show quick recovery to the open three OR smother the ball. The quality of the double can keep the kick-out from being a quality one...our guys are just not practiced at this. The Zag's double does not smother nor recover well.

This unfortunately reminds me of how poorly we make decisions to switch on ball screens as opposed to trapping and fading back defensively. When helping out on ball screens...it isn't good enough to slow a defender...you have to stop his dribble and quickly fade to your man staying exactly between the ball and your man. We have a lot of work to do here.

upan8th
12-11-2010, 10:12 PM
To be brief: GU basketball fans are long overdue. How many years has it been since we were depressed, disappointed, disillusioned in the regular season. I'm sure there are a number of D words that might be applied. But for every cloud of depression rolling over Zag fandom at this point, we must acknowledge, OTOH, the joy of an at large ESPN viewing nation revelling in every crushing defeat the team suffers.

Those national viewers (well, mostly the huge # of ND supporters) who tuned in tonight, are saying: "Gonzaga, again?" ESPN newbie programmers are saying: "Uh oh, what have we bought into here? Winthrop?" The answer is: They're televizing an unformed, possibly talented, less than previously entertaining edition, bought on reputation, package.

And that, among other things, is what has Mark Few looking so grim on the bench. ESPN bought this season's TV package with assurance (and the preseason ratings to back it up) that the Zags, win or lose in their Quixotic jousts w/the best in the country, would bring their historic, entertaining, frenetic up and down style to the televised contests, as they have always done. But, uh oh, the Bulldogs this year, I'm sure you and ESPN agree, are BORING. They are plodders, w/occasional flashes of elite talent. Like Wright State. They're not as advertised, and as such they're costing said advertisers money. And if you don't think televised NC2A basketball is ALL about money, then you might ask yourself whether the Pope really wears red shoes or not.

So, not as briefly as I had hoped, yes, it's only DEPRESSING in that, despite ten years of massive overachieving for a "midmajor" program, and unprecedented national exposure, this one season of underachieving might cast the entire program back to where it was in the days of Richie Frahm and Matt Santangelo. The good old days.

But, you know and I know this season is an aberration. A new cycle of dominance starts w/next year's stellar recruiting class, whether ESPN recognizes it, or not. All those of you who think you've been sold a bill of goods this season, I kindly suggest you chill, and let the season unfold. It could, but may not get better. Deal w/it and know it will, next season, be like old times.

Bulldoggie
12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Forgetting about individual play two things are very obvious to me. Number one, a good passing team can get an open 3 against us every time down the floor. St Marys and Portland with their sharpshooters are going to absolutely kill us.

Number two our offense is stagnant. Everytime we bring the ball up the court unless its a fast break situation the players spot up at the same place. Then we end up one guy dribbling, one cutting and three watching. No off the ball screens, no team movement, no back door layups. Its easy to play defense when you know where your man is going to set up on offense and when you leave him to double team the man with the ball that he will still be there when you return to guard him. I sure miss the days when we ran the flex and moved the ball around and everyone knows where everyone else is. i guess that is the curse of having so many new faces every year.

Lets face it gang, although tonights game was at least competitive score wise
ND should have blown us out if they hadn't went stagnant the last five minutes. We are nine games in and I'm not seeing any progress.

BobZag
12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
To be brief: GU basketball fans are long overdue. How many years has it been since we were depressed, disappointed, disillusioned in the regular season.

Nah. Same things were said 2002-03 season. Then came the 2006-07 season when Heytvelt was arrested. Seems about every four years.

I'm not buying this thread and I can be as doomy as anybody.

Ezag
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
What was depressing about this game? Geeze guys....What do you expect going into Notre Dame? Gonzaga played pretty darn good man. Look at the freethrow discrpency....that was one major homer job. And they had us in deep foul trouble which was just as important as the number of FT attempts they got. The thing that bugs me is that GU will aways gt homered on the road. And wait and see, when a school comes into GU we will still get homered even in our gym.

Much better game out of Steven, Elias, and Robert. That was a huge plus. And of course Manny gave us a great game tonight. He had the fire, and Im not surprised that that one shot went in, because yu could see the fire in him that whole second half. Harris and Sacre still lack fire in my opinion, and are playing without passion. Robert Sacre never passes the ball. NEVER. At least Ellias is doing it once in awhile. Unfortunately nothing from most of the other guys.....Olynyk played too much in my opinion, and when Few put him and monninghoff in when Steven and Elias went out in foul trouble that hurt us, especially Olynyk. Few refuses to play Dower more for some reason.

Real good game by Gonzaga......Way to go team. It's something to build on. At least we came out fighting and fought for most of the game

ND was obviously a weak #23 nothing like the other top teams we have played. After Kentucky and that game, not impressed with them at all. Not much better than good WCC team if that. We should have won period

gamagin
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Nah. Same things were said 2002-03 season. Then came the 2006-07 season when Heytvelt was arrested. Seems about every four years. I'm not buying this thread and I can be as doomy as anybody.

but not the Four year itch, as you suggest. By the time the WCC schedule begins, the whole world, not just the Zags, will know what not to do. ESPN has the tape and WE (on the GUB) have the script.

It includes everything except perhaps, the heartbreak of psoriasis.

BobZag
12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
but not the Four year itch, as you suggest. By the time the WCC schedule begins, the whole world, not just the Zags, will know what not to do. ESPN has the tape and WE (on the GUB) have the script.

It includes everything except perhaps, the heartbreak of psoriasis.

With steroids, HGH and a faster-paced world, the 7-year itch has accelerated to 4 years.