PDA

View Full Version : This really needs its own thread...

Baldwinzag
12-11-2010, 07:23 PM
So, our frontcourt dominates most of the game, then all of a sudden our guards try to take over in the 2nd half.

This has occurred in at least three of our losses.

Why?

My take: no effective leadership to play smart down the stretch, close out games, and stick to the Coaches' gameplan.

gamagin
12-11-2010, 07:49 PM
So, our frontcourt dominates most of the game, then all of a sudden our guards try to take over in the 2nd half.

This has occurred in at least three of our losses.

Why?

My take: no effective leadership to play smart down the stretch, close out games, and stick to the Coaches' gameplan.

were starting to get our sh!t together. something to build on. miles from the WSU game.

ZagLawGrad
12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
were starting to get our sh!t together. something to build on. miles from the WSU game.

True. But I'd have to temper it with a prediction that WSU would beat ND by double digits

HOOTER
12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
True. But I'd have to temper it with a prediction that WSU would beat ND by double digits

Yup. They certainly would have tonight. ND was very beatable tonight.

Horned Frog
12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Of the teams in the top 25 we have played so far, ND was the least impressive. Or is it that GU was playing better?
After all, ND is 9-1....so maybe we are not that far from turning this around.
Maybe we're learning against these top 25 teams and will get stronger and better.

Bogozags
12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Of the teams in the top 25 we have played so far, ND was the least impressive. Or is it that GU was playing better?
After all, ND is 9-1....so maybe we are not that far from turning this around.
Maybe we're learning against these top 25 teams and will get stronger and better.

First Off, Go TCU BEAT Badgers!

Ok, got that off my chest...

Our perimeter "D" still needs lots of work!

Rob was great inside...we took too many bad outside shots.

It is tough typing on this phone...

BobZag
12-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Not in South Bend.

It was a step forward, something to build on. The guys have to keep taking steps forward. No back-sliding allowed. If they keep moving forward, they'll be fine for the WCC season. Baylor will be the best team GU has played yet. Let's see if the fellas can play them toe-to-toe. One week till tipoff.

HOOTER
12-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Not in South Bend.

It was a step forward, something to build on. The guys have to keep taking steps forward. No back-sliding allowed. If they keep moving forward, they'll be fine for the WCC season. Baylor will be the best team GU has played yet. Let's see if the fellas can play them toe-to-toe. One week till tipoff.

I disagree. I think if the Cougs had played ND, even on their court, they probably would have won that game. Of course, that's just speculation. What's not speculation is that if the Zags hang with Baylor and actually win, that will confirm that the near win against ND wasn't a fluke. I'll almost be ready to believe they're back on track at that point. First, they'd better take it to LC State in a big way.

surfmonkey89
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Part of the problem was that Harris & Sacre were in foul trouble, so we couldn't be as aggressive with them. Unfortunately, all that ended up happening was that Gray & Meech got in foul trouble and all four ended up fouling out.

BobZag
12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I disagree. I think if the Cougs had played ND, even on their court, they probably would have won that game. Of course, that's just speculation. What's not speculation is that if the Zags hang with Baylor and actually win, that will confirm that the near win against ND wasn't a fluke. I'll almost be ready to believe they're back on track at that point. First, they'd better take it to LC State in a big way.

We agree to disagree. Homecourt advantage is huge in CBB.

HOOTER
12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
We agree to disagree. Homecourt advantage is huge in CBB.

Agreed, but if the Zags can almost beat ND on their homecourt as bad as they've been playing, the Cougs could have beat them easily as good as they've been. I do think that was probably the best basketball the Zags have played this season (not saying much), but I also think ND is a bit overrated. Of course, this doesn't take into account the officiating, which certainly played a part in the outcome.

ZagLawGrad
12-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Not in South Bend.

Cougs would have killed ND last night by a dozen. :)

gamagin
12-12-2010, 03:26 PM

and oranges comparison works here.

WSU came out to avenge a few season's of (what it considers) defeat & humiliation, carried a sharpened axe to grind and a keen desire to prove something to themselves and their fans. Hat's off to them. They played great and deserved to win.

The next few nights they put in a so-so performance against a no name team in the Spokane Arena, even though they won easily.

So who's to say one game by ANY team reveals anything beyond how well (or poorly) they played on that given night ?

I think that applies for the season as well. I'm not sure how the rest of the WCC teams are faring at this point, but I'm guessing their schedules have not been as brutal.

So who has an advantage going into the season ? Who's going to carry an attitude, experience and a will to win forward ? Who can get or stay healthy ?

I don't know. I am willing to keep watching and believing the program & players have the moxie necessary to get back on track by Conference time and hopefully, beyond.

BobZag
12-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Cougs would have killed ND last night by a dozen. :)

Wowza. I need to consult you before making any bets. :)

HOOTER
12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
So who's to say one game by ANY team reveals anything beyond how well (or poorly) they played on that given night ?

I think WSU would beat ND because I think they're a better team, period. This has nothing to do with how WSU played the Zags or how the Zags played ND or whatever. The Cougs are a better team IMO. This is just speculation and really doesn't matter anyway. It would be a fun game to watch, that I'm sure of.

ZagLawGrad
12-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Wowza. I need to consult you before making any bets. :)

I can be bought...:)

BobZag
12-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Agreed, but if the Zags can almost beat ND on their homecourt as bad as they've been playing, the Cougs could have beat them easily as good as they've been. I do think that was probably the best basketball the Zags have played this season (not saying much), but I also think ND is a bit overrated. Of course, this doesn't take into account the officiating, which certainly played a part in the outcome.

But this comparative logic can be a slippery slope. Montana wipes out UCLA in Pauley Pavilian but loses at San Francisco and loses in Missoula to Portland, so UCLA is worse than those two? Or Boise State takes UNLV into OT and almost wins it, then Drake beats Boise State worse, so Drake should beat UNLV? It gets tricky.

HOOTER
12-12-2010, 04:04 PM
But this comparative logic can be a slippery slope. Montana wipes out UCLA in Pauley Pavilian but loses at San Francisco and loses in Missoula to Portland, so UCLA is worse than those two? Or Boise State takes UNLV into OT and almost wins it, then Drake beats Boise State worse, so Drake should beat UNLV? It gets tricky.

I dig what you're saying. I just think the Cougs are a better team. I honestly believe they would probably beat ND. Again, just speculating here. If the two played and I were a betting man, my money would be on the Cougs. Thats all.