PDA

View Full Version : billy donovan close to accepting NBA job

jigga5
05-31-2007, 12:19 PM
The day after his 42nd birthday, Billy Donovan received quite a gift: An offer to become the head coach of the Orlando Magic.

According to a pair of sources close to the situation, the Magic offered Donovan a six-year, $36 million contract Wednesday night and, barring any last-minute breakdown in negotiations, he's expected to accept the offer and replace Brian Hill as Orlando's coach.
The leading candidate to replace Donovan is former Florida assistant coach Anthony Grant, who in his first season at Virginina Commonwealth, led the Rams to a first-round upset over Duke in the NCAA tournament.

If Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley does opt to go with Grant, it's likely that the top recruits Nick Calathes and Chandler Parsons will honor their committments to Florida. However, point guard Jai Lucas, the son of former NBA coach and player John Lucas, could opt to go elsewhere now that Donovan is leaving. Kentucky is considered an option for Lucas.

Donovan is coming off back-to-back national titles with the Gators and was set to sign a lucrative, long-term extension at some point in the next couple weeks.

He had lost nearly his entire team after Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green all decided to go pro and sign with agents. Seniors Lee Humphrey and Chris Richard also graduated.

Shortly after winning the second national title in April, Donovan spurned interest from Kentucky to remain in Gainesville.

However, Donovan has never denied the fact that he would be interested in coaching in the NBA. He recently told FOXSports.com that he was happy at Florida and would only leave for an ideal situation.

The job in Orlando could be ideal since it's nearby and the Magic have one of the best young stars in the game in big man Dwight Howard. Orlando will also have some salary cap relief as Grant Hill's contract expires this season

drnoe
05-31-2007, 12:56 PM
$36mil is asinine!

joeyoli35
05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately, he will also experience the same lack of success as his mentor.

The college and pro games are so different that there is not a real correlation between the two as far as success goes.

jigga5
05-31-2007, 01:48 PM
thats an opinion not a fact, you cant sit here and predict the future. Time will tell...............

soonerterp
05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
There's a breaking news box on the lower right screen on ESPNews.

Apparently he accepted the offer and will be the new head coach of the Orlando Magic.

What I'd love to know now is what happens to Jai Lucas, who FINALLY committed to Florida after stretching it out for God knows how long ... does he now back out of his commitment to FL now that Donovan's outta there?

jazzdelmar
05-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Hypocrite....all that crap abt the kids and UF......

J-Mac Zag Forever
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
36m would make me a hypocrite of the worst kind.

JLGutrocks
05-31-2007, 03:23 PM
heck, you could buy me for $26M

jazzdelmar
05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
a hypocrite, priceless

Zag79
06-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Hypocrite....all that crap abt the kids and UF......
hit it on the head. slimeball central jazzy. by the way, where have ya been? but back to billy, you knew it was coming. it will be his loss though once he is a short lived nobody coach in the league. he was made for college hoops just like pitino.

CDC84
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=215898

As many know, Anthony Grant is an ex-Florida assistant. The university is wasting no time with this.......

CDC84
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=202989

Regarding the success of college coaches going to the NBA. It's not as bad as many think.........

LongIslandZagFan
06-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Just my 2 cents on this. I see nothing hypocritical about it. He turned down Kentucky because he honestly assumed he'd be back at Florida. Unless he had some new fangled way to see into the future to know that a job would be offered by an NBA team 2 months later, I can't imagine how he is being a hypocrite. Not once, and this is documented, did he ever say he would not take a NBA job to stay with the "kids". In fact he was upfront about the fact that if the opportunity came along and it was right, then he'd take it.

Why are some of us trying to tear the guy down for actually advancing his career? Jealousy? Hatred? Look I'm not a fan of the guy, but give him and me a break with the attacks on him for taking a professional coaching position. :rolleyes:

Rubbadub
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Orlando isn't a bad starting job for any new nba coach. The eastern conference is wide open and they could easily be one of the heavy hitters with a little luck.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
LI---Billy D should been at SJU at some point....I mean, a Long Guyland, ex St Agnes guy...then again, Looie passed on him in hs

TrueLiz
06-01-2007, 08:14 PM
As the Gators are my 3rd favorite team, I am bummed that Billy the Kid is leaving, but I can't say anything bad about him. He's said in the past (and recent past) that he was interested in the NBA, and he said again in the press conference today that Florida was the only college for him, but he was up front with the AD about the NBA. He doesn't have to move his family or the extended family. I can see how its a good option and don't begrudge him. but I wish he'd stayed with the Gators and become a legend.

This does prove again though, that Mark Few is really a special breed in the coaching world.