PDA

View Full Version : Harris and Dower are important ingredients to the Zags

Reborn
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I just watched the WSU vs Zags game again this morning. For some reason Few took out Harris, Meech and Arop and inserted Olynyk, Stockton and Monninghoff. The Zags were down by ten with 17 and a half minutes left in the second half. In the next 7 and one-half minutes WSU put the game out of reach and was ahead by 22.

It was apparent to me that this was a huge coaching mistake by Few. He inserted the 3 worse defensive players on the team at the same time and WSU took complete advantage of it. Two of the three guys (Stockton and Monninghoff) are Freshman and had no idea about how to defend. Kelly Olynyk was just horrible on defensive. He was out of place almost all of the time, and he never, not once, provided any defensive help to help defend against WSU's penetrating guards, and in particular Thompson. After Olynyk, Mooningoff is the next worse defender and rebounder on the team. Olynyk made a 2 point basket in this stretch and Monninghoff made a 3, but were these 5 pts worth giving the game away with poor defense.

The two remaining starters during this stretch, Gray and Sacre, had very little help on offense (5 pts) and WSU was able to double team both Sacre and Gray.

Few reinserted Harris, Meech and Dower, and the Zags began to fill the holes in the damn that was breaking. In the next 3 minutes WSU increased their lead to 27 but you could see that Harris and Dower especially were beginning to make plays to slow down the flooding WSU offense. The Zags also began to score with this unit in the game. For the first in the game the Zags seemed to have some cohesiveness that I have not seen in awhile. Dower and Harris especially, were making the difference. Gray began scoring a little to help out Dower and Harris, and Suddenly the Zags began to cut into the lead when Mike Hart and Stockton came into the game to play with Dower, Harris and Gray. I would say that this unit looked the best of any five guys on the court Wednesday nite.

I think Dower and Harris need to be on the court together more. I just think Dower is better than Sacre, and Harris is so much better than Olynyk, even when he can only play at half speed. I also think that Olynyk and Monningoff need to play less. From my observation point these two guys (and Sacre) are hurting the Zags more than the others. Sacre killed us on Wednesday. If you have a chance to watch the game again you will agree. He can not handle the ball in the post. His decision making is so slow and so bad that defending teams can trap him easily and force turnovers and jump balls. His inablility to finish inside kills us. How many times has he missed easy dunks inside. Sacre just can not finish.

I doubt that I will see what I am suggesting because Mak Few seems to like both Olynyk and Sacre, and even Monningoff really. Let these guys come in off the bench, and be role players supporting our main players. Do not play them at the same time. WSU demonstrated what will happen if Few does.

demian
12-11-2010, 01:05 PM
totally agree

I just watched the WSU vs Zags game again this morning. For some reason Few took out Harris, Meech and Arop and inserted Olynyk, Stockton and Monninghoff. The Zags were down by ten with 17 and a half minutes left in the second half. In the next 7 and one-half minutes WSU put the game out of reach and was ahead by 22.

It was apparent to me that this was a huge coaching mistake by Few. He inserted the 3 worse defensive players on the team at the same time and WSU took complete advantage of it. Two of the three guys (Stockton and Monninghoff) are Freshman and had no idea about how to defend. Kelly Olynyk was just horrible on defensive. He was out of place almost all of the time, and he never, not once, provided any defensive help to help defend against WSU's penetrating guards, and in particular Thompson. After Olynyk, Mooningoff is the next worse defender and rebounder on the team. Olynyk made a 2 point basket in this stretch and Monninghoff made a 3, but were these 5 pts worth giving the game away with poor defense.

The two remaining starters during this stretch, Gray and Sacre, had very little help on offense (5 pts) and WSU was able to double team both Sacre and Gray.

Few reinserted Harris, Meech and Dower, and the Zags began to fill the holes in the damn that was breaking. In the next 3 minutes WSU increased their lead to 27 but you could see that Harris and Dower especially were beginning to make plays to slow down the flooding WSU offense. The Zags also began to score with this unit in the game. For the first in the game the Zags seemed to have some cohesiveness that I have not seen in awhile. Dower and Harris especially, were making the difference. Gray began scoring a little to help out Dower and Harris, and Suddenly the Zags began to cut into the lead when Mike Hart and Stockton came into the game to play with Dower, Harris and Gray. I would say that this unit looked the best of any five guys on the court Wednesday nite.

I think Dower and Harris need to be on the court together more. I just think Dower is better than Sacre, and Harris is so much better than Olynyk, even when he can only play at half speed. I also think that Olynyk and Monningoff need to play less. From my observation point these two guys (and Sacre) are hurting the Zags more than the others. Sacre killed us on Wednesday. If you have a chance to watch the game again you will agree. He can not handle the ball in the post. His decision making is so slow and so bad that defending teams can trap him easily and force turnovers and jump balls. His inablility to finish inside kills us. How many times has he missed easy dunks inside. Sacre just can not finish.

I doubt that I will see what I am suggesting because Mak Few seems to like both Olynyk and Sacre, and even Monningoff really. Let these guys come in off the bench, and be role players supporting our main players. Do not play them at the same time. WSU demonstrated what will happen if Few does.

kclubfounder
12-11-2010, 01:06 PM
You are a bigger man than me watching that WSU game again. I'm trying to repress it.

MDABE80
12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
KC...lol..I was thinking the same thing! I tried.....once...couldn't do it.

Harris, Rob and Sam should be playing. Steven might have to slide over and be the PG at times. MM or Manny on the wing.

Good lineup for scoring and rebounding. Defensively not bad either. TO's should get better as well. It's worth a look. We have a rich bench. KO, Meech, MM or or Manny...eight kids should be the focus IMO.

If Few doesn't know who his best players are by now, he's in trouble.

Baldwinzag
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
the chemistry between Harris & Dower is apparent and evolving into an effective scoring duo in the frontcourt.

Dower shifts to Center when Harris is on the floor and suit his game quite nicely.

While our post defense suffers overall when they're on the floor, our offense receives a significant upgrade.

Given the fact our opposition is NOT beating us in the paint whatsover(I believe we've outscored teams in the paint every game). T

he vast improvement on offense outweighs the small sacrifice on defense with Dower/Harris combo down low.

We are getting our arses burned on the perimeter, not the paint.

If you don't buy the upgrade on offense argument, check the box scores and play-by-play trends in our last 8 games.

There is no denying the Zags are a better offensive club with Dower on the floor, especially when Harris plays the 4 and Sam plays the 5. However, I do like Abe's suggestion of putting in all three with Gray at the point. Sounds crazy, but at this point it seems like our best option. It certainly can't get any worse and teams would be forced to extend their defense with Gray at PG, Monninghoff/Arop at SG, Harris at F, Dower at F, Sacre at C. Anything is worth a shot at this point.

Don't forget Memphis turned their year around when they put Tyreke Evan at PG and his game and build is somewhat similar to Steven's. Coach Cal went against all analysts suggestions and sat his 6'0" speedy PG and put in Tyreke to give them more offensive weapons on the floor. Play your best players. It works wonders more often than not.

Once we figure out our 3pt defense, we'll be seeing these guys together more and more as the season progresses.

Reborn
12-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Some very good points Baldwinzag and ABE. In regards to playing Steven at the point, I say "Why Not" too. Afterall, he's already playing it about half the game. I think against Notre Dame especially, Meech's services are not needed as much. I mean Notre Dame does not have a quick,fast penetrating pointguard. He's a jump shooter, and mostly a set shooter. We need someone to get on him and stick on him. I say Mike Hart which would free Steven to defend a wing which is his natural position.

That would give us Gray, Arop and Hart out front with Dower and Harris down low. I think this team can rebound because Gray, Hart and Arop are all good rebounders and Harris is pretty good too.

I agree with your analysis of defending the 3 Baldwinzag. It's the reason we've been losing, IMO and I think in yours, and in many of the fans.

Let's see what happens tonight. It'll be interesting to see what Few does.