PDA

View Full Version : Theo report

BobZag
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Theo has gone from 0 reps at 185 on bench last fall to 3 by spring and 8 by summer. His play is oozing with confidence and great finishes at the basket. He is banging everyday against Will Foster who outweighs him by 50 lbs. (and by the way is getting a sweet hook down). He is getting great compliments from the staff on his improvement.

Birddog
05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Can you clarify? I thought coaches were not allowed in the area of those pick- up games. Just what is allowed these days? Seems like if they were allowed to watch, but not to coach it could still lead to some nasty accusations.

Birddog

BobZag
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Can you clarify? I thought coaches were not allowed in the area of those pick- up games. Just what is allowed these days? Seems like if they were allowed to watch, but not to coach it could still lead to some nasty accusations.

Birddog

Individual workouts with coaches are more important than pick-up games. That's where improvements are shown the most, ie, one-on-one drills. And the guys talk about who is doing what in pick-up games, as well.

We wouldn't want nasty accusations, would we? Oh dear.

GonzagaGurl08
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info. What is Will up to in height and weight now? It seems as if he has filled out. Any other news on who's packing on the muscle mass?? :)

former1dog
05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Good to here that Theo is progressing on the court. I hope he is similarly progressing off of it.

BobZag
05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info. What is Will up to in height and weight now? It seems as if he has filled out. Any other news on who's packing on the muscle mass?? :)

I miscalculated re: Will.

Will is 270 lbs
Theo is 210 lbs (at the most)

Josh is at 250 now.

Pargo and Bouldin have trimmed down a bit and look much more "ripped" now than last year. They look quicker.

sonuvazag
05-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Less cheeseburgers for Pargo?

BobZag
05-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Less cheeseburgers for Pargo?

:) I can't see him giving up his cheeseburgers. Maybe the fries but not the cheeseburgers.

BC1210is
05-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Foster is now 270? Gozags.com has him listed at 225, has he really gained 45 pounds? That is huge! I know he had room to put on that much weight, he is going to be a totally different player at that weight.

BobZag
05-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Foster is now 270? Gozags.com has him listed at 225, has he really gained 45 pounds? That is huge! I know he had room to put on that much weight, he is going to be a totally different player at that weight.

He is. The plan is for Will to be 285 his junior year and 300 his senior year. The more bulk he puts on the harder it becomes. Getting to 270 seemed to be the easy stage. Now it slows down.

ZagNut08
05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
thats only about .5 lb per inch of him

saintzag
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
IT IS GOOD WILL IS GAINING WEIGHT, BUT 21O IS NO DIV 1 5. With good hops and moves sorounded by guys like JH and Sacre could be worthy 4.

MDABE80
05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Doesn't matter who's in there! lol.Thats a huge, skillful group of big men. Somebody's gonna eat some leather if they come visit the key this upcoming year. Cory and Rony were good. The new kids might just be fantastic. Theo, Josh, Daye, Kuso, Will, Robert. It's enough to make a grown man...well.....you know:) Might be a little bit raw in the early part of the season but by Jan/Feb.....Bar the door!! This is going to be exciting.

RebornZag
05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
I really think that Davis could be huge for us this year. I am sure he has much better hands than Kuso. Kuso was so open last year because of some awesome passes (especially from Bouldin) that he never could handle. If Davis handles those passes (and it sounds like he is when Bob says he's going to the hoop with passiion) he will average 8-10 pts a game. And that's exactly what we will need from him next year. I hope he can get up to 220. That would help a lot I think.

Nice to see Josh at 250. I was hoping for that. He was just a little weak inside at 235. 15 pounds is a lot, and will build his confidence when going down low. For Josh to become a great player he will need to really work on his passing game. He needs to be a threat as a passer as well as shooter to be a complete player. If he can improve in that area I see him going pro after next year. His passing, and consistent rebounding. He needs to average 9-10 a game. If he can't then we'll see him in 08/09 too.

tyra
05-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Someone with an idea about bench strength please give me some perspective. I don't know this stuff but I was surprised Theo couldn't bench 180 last year at all. Frankly, I would imagine Jeremy can bench 300. (Heck, my 15 year old son can do reps at 255 -- well, he is kind of a stud). Does anyone know what some of the players do bench reps at?

Birddog
05-31-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't know this stuff but I was surprised Theo couldn't bench 180 last year
He was injured.

Birddog

zagster318
05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
I really think that Davis could be huge for us this year. I am sure he has much better hands than Kuso. Kuso was so open last year because of some awesome passes (especially from Bouldin) that he never could handle. If Davis handles those passes (and it sounds like he is when Bob says he's going to the hoop with passiion) he will average 8-10 pts a game. And that's exactly what we will need from him next year. I hope he can get up to 220. That would help a lot I think.

Nice to see Josh at 250. I was hoping for that. He was just a little weak inside at 235. 15 pounds is a lot, and will build his confidence when going down low. For Josh to become a great player he will need to really work on his passing game. He needs to be a threat as a passer as well as shooter to be a complete player. If he can improve in that area I see him going pro after next year. His passing, and consistent rebounding. He needs to average 9-10 a game. If he can't then we'll see him in 08/09 too.

I hope you're wrong about Heytvelt. If everyone stays, besides Pendergraft, for the 2008-2009 year, the Zags might be a preseason top 5 team.

Nevtelen
05-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Kuso would be gone, too. But I get your point. I'd be just as worried about loosing Pargo if he makes another jump like he did before this season.

MickMick
05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Eight reps of 185? He may be fine within the WCC, but the big BCS boys may push him around a little. Sounds like they redshirted him for good reason. He really needed the time to bulk up.

Now I am thinking that Ira Brown is probably quite capable of knocking out a few reps. Don't forget that he was a professional baseball player...and they have strength & conditioning coaches too.

I am just hoping that someone can occupy (I mean own) some real estate close to the rim.

sittingon50
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Davis redshirted (& couldn't lift) because he screwed up his shoulder the 1st week of practice & required surgery.

MBZags
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
From my understanding, he had the shoulder injury coming into Gonzaga and was going to require surgery sometime. Maybe I'm wrong.

CDC84
06-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I get worried at times about Theo having a body like Raivio's - a body that just won't put on weight. 210 is very light for a post player his age. I mean, Pargo weighs more than him. I know he has been injured, but still.

That being said, while he might get banged around a bit in the post due to a lack of strength, Theo moves very, very quickly in the post, and he has a lot of hops. He can cause some major problems for the heavyweights. I'd like see him attain more bulk, but I don't want to see him lose that quickness.

I've said this before, but I would be highly surprised if anyone of the players on this year's team goes pro after this season. Even if every guy on the roster greatly improves. Every player on this team just has too much improving to do, either on the floor, off the floor or in the weight room to maximize their financial value for the next level....assuming they even have any value. There isn't a Zag on any 2008 mock list right now that I know of.

That could change of course.

BTW...the 2008 draft is a bad one to jump into if you're a point guard, unless you're Derrick Rose or something. It is going to be filled with high level point guard prospects. This is the major reason why Stuckey bailed EWU for the 2007 draft.

roxdoc
06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Playing pick-ups this summer against Foster (and later Sacre) ought to give him a little "seasoning".

MickMick
06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Of all the post players, I hear of Kuso the least. I am just wondering if Gonzaga is going to have a 12 man rotation or what?

I am a fan of hustle, heart, and desire. JP Batista didn't just magically happen....he worked extremely hard to become a great player. I can't help but think of Kuso that way as well. Vince Lombardi once said "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." I cannot envison cowardice in Kuso. I have to believe that he is working extremely hard to live an American dream. You can't measure that. I believe he is going to surprise some folks.

I also believe that competition breeds excellence. Has the competition for playing time ever been greater than that of the approaching season?

RebornZag
06-01-2007, 09:37 PM
It's great hearing such a positive report on Theo and Josh. They're like Jessie and Frank James. LOL...Just kidding. But I'm glad to see positive talk about the courage in their hearts to move on and to improve their game. I will have no greater joy next year than to see these two guys have great years and lead the Zags to an outstanding season...and then watch their critics taste the ugliness of their words. Go Josh!!! Go Theo!!! Go Zags!!!

I think that Theo will fit in quite nicely with Josh, and his size is perfect for how he will fit in. Durant came in as a Freshman at 6/8" and 204 and I think did a real good job on the boards. At least adequate. You see, I think Theo will play low post on offense and Josh will play the #4 on Offense. But on Defense Josh couldn't come close to guarding the #4's on opposing teams. He just doesn't have the footwork. Theo, being much lighter, will be quick enough I think to guard the 4's. I also believe that Daye will make a real good #4 on defense as well. He can defend and rebound.

I hate to say this, but I also believe that next year we will have the players to actually play Zone. We all know that Mark Few loves the 2-3 zone, and with the right teams has had great success with it. In order to make the 2-3 or even the match up zone work, you need guys who can defend the corners. Neither Bouldin nor Pendo were able to do that. I think with Downs, Daye, and Even Brown because he can jump out of the gym, we will be able to defend the corners much better. I also think that both Micah and Daye have the quickness to get out there, and their wing span will help a lot. Zones can be affective with the right players and especially against the right teams. It's just another weapon Few will have, and one he likes.

sullyzag66
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Interesting that The Oregonian is reporting the official weights, measurements and testing results from the Orlando predraft camp. According to their report (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/), Kevin Durant was the only player in the pre-draft camp who could not press 185 even once.

SunshineZag
06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm not surprised to hear how much weight Will gained this year.

I saw him around campus at the end of the semester and I was really shocked to see how buff he'd gotten. A big change from the season.