PDA

View Full Version : Frontrunners

freejoe69
12-09-2010, 11:59 AM
"Gonzaga basketball fans will always be true fans," is a quote from one of you this morning. Seriously? You can look at the board today and say that? The train wreck right now isn't the team, it's the "fans". Here's my advice: STFU.

El Voce
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
"Gonzaga basketball fans will always be true fans," is a quote from one of you this morning. Seriously? You can look at the board today and say that? The train wreck right now isn't the team, it's the "fans". Here's my advice: STFU.

+1

sullyzag66
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Lamenting a loss is more about fans' passion than their loyalty.

sittingon50
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
"how 'bout them cowboys!"

freejoe69
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Grief isn't typically expressed quite so vitriocally, Sully.

dpouley
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Message boards are designed to share opinions, vent frustrations and discuss the team(s) that people love.

Its not like the people on this board are posting their frustrations, because they dislike Gonzaga basketball. They love it, some of them almost more than life itself, and it hurts really bad when their team struggles. I think that the frustration and venting is a GOOD thing. Over the years, my one complaint about this message board (and the old Scout board) was that it was way too, "rah rah" with not enough analysis and constructive criticism. I think it just goes to show that message boards and the tone on a team's message board are a reflection of the way that that team they follow is playing.

I would be much more worried about the Gonzaga fan base if they were still on this board with nothing but positive. Or worse, were not on this message board. Apathy is the true sign of a programs down fall...trust me, I am a Husky.

dpouley
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Grief isn't typically expressed quite so vitriocally, Sully.

The vitriol is a by-product of the impersonal nature of Internet message boards.

U Zig, I Zag
12-09-2010, 12:20 PM
The vitriol is a by-product of the impersonal nature of Internet message boards.

Yes, but it only lets the readers *assume* I have tears in my eyes (I actually do).

freejoe69
12-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Dpouley, I agree with a lot of what you say, particularly your complaint about the general tendency on the board to be a cheerleader, and the criticism directed toward those who aren't. But the tenor of today's comments cannot in any measure be described as analysis and constructive criticism. It's more like poison.

Bogozags
12-09-2010, 12:27 PM
It's like a layman watching doctors perform open heart surgery and then the layman comments on an incision they just made!

You gotta have some knowledge as it is more than just spending the night at a Holiday Inn!

MDABE80
12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
We're far from finished. Buck up...this is fun. We lose and work out of it. This is life! This is GU basketball! This is Gonzaga!

Jesssssssssssbuz......no worries. We'll lose 10 this year. Growth is the key. We love the kids. They grow, they mess up and we turn em loose. We're a lot more that basketball.

PLUS we have good comraderie on the board! DP..I do appreciate you're coming over to post and lend an ear. We're fine...one or 4 games doesn't destroy the structure.

sullyzag66
12-09-2010, 12:33 PM
And often a by-product of grief.

freejoe69
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
...I agree with Abe on this one, when he says, "We're a lot more than basketball." Why is it even necessary to discuss grief as it relates to a game that is played with high stakes, but is still a game?

sullyzag66
12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
...I agree with Abe on this one, when he says, "We're a lot more than basketball." Why is it even necessary to discuss grief as it relates to a game that is played with high stakes, but is still a game?
I agree with Abe as well. National broadcast on ESPN on Saturday in prime time with little or no football that day--pull forward.

JohnOGU
12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
We have talent, but top to bottom we're just full of soft players who are afraid to attack, or be aggressive in any sort of manner.

Watching these guys play is pretty damn irritating to say the least.

This is an open forum...Criticism comes with the territory.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

you didnt watch last nights game then. I am invested, hence the reason I am frustrated. Its not a bad thing.

northsidezagfan
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
you didnt watch last nights game then. I am invested, hence the reason I am frustrated. Its not a bad thing.

Exactly. Last night was the closest I have ever come to turning off a game in the middle of it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Even when we were down by 19 points in the first half or 29 in the second. I even watched the replay at 1 in the morning. It's painful and it's frustrating but there are a lot of fans who are committed to this team, including me. If you are going to express frustration this is the place to do it.

TexasZagFan
12-09-2010, 02:21 PM

STFU yourself. This is a team that lost one major contributor from last season's squad. There is by far enough talent and experience on this team, but they're being outhustled, outrebounded, outfought, outeverything.

Send me all the negative rep you want, but this is one of the most timid basketball teams I have seen in my 40+ years of watching basketball. What's the over/under on combined floor burns with this team...1.5?

I sure hope they're doing a gut check on themselves right now.

HillBillyZag
12-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Amen !.Tex . I admit to turning off the game with over three minutes remaining . My first time ever ,since 2000 , when I came to Spokane and became a Gonzaga diehard fan . And something else , Pendo would have had someone by the jersey and been in their face , had he been involved in last nights debacle ? This team has NO real leader !

titopoet
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't what to say about the game. It stunk. The Zags stunk. But I served at RMH last night before the game, and being with people dealing with real problems, I was not effected to the bone that I would have been.

UberZagFan
12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Uber doesn't even really get the OP but he's posting in this thread anyway.

FWIW, STFU!

Pleasant Peninsula
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh that's rich: someone telling people to STFU, while complaining about needless vitriol...

Whatever.

I can't imagine being anything other than thoroughly disgusted with this team right now and any expressions I make on this board or otherwise are going to reflect this disgust. If other fans have a coping mechanism that is different then mine, they are more than welcome to utilize it without the fear of repudiation from me...unless of course their M.O. is to lambaste other fans for the way they are dealing with this trainwreck like OP is doing. BOOOO!

freejoe69
12-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I can't hard-ass anyone who quotes Chuck D. Here's the deal: there's a whole bunch of Zag fans who didn't take Chuck's advice (Don't Believe the Hype) and now they've got their boxers in a bunch because they've been let down. Oh, the injustice!

hooter73
12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
someone with 16 posts but been a member since 2/07 starts a thread to tell everyone else they're bad fans and the problem with this team. Gotta have balls big enough that even Sacre could hang on to em.

Bogozags
12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
We have talent, but top to bottom we're just full of soft players who are afraid to attack, or be aggressive in any sort of manner.

Watching these guys play is pretty damn irritating to say the least.

This is an open forum...Criticism comes with the territory.

JohnOGU...

Bottom line, if watching them irritates you, then maybe you shouldn't watch!

BroncoZAG615
12-09-2010, 03:41 PM
JohnOGU...

Bottom line, if watching them irritates you, then maybe you shouldn't watch!

Are you in perfect harmony watching this team?

Of course we're all going to watch this team, but damnit it is irritating. In fact, irritating is a very mellow way of putting it.

Bogozags
12-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Are you in perfect harmony watching this team?

Of course we're all going to watch this team, but damnit it is irritating. In fact, irritating is a very mellow way of putting it.

I am a glutton for punishment...I watched the game twice and it ended with the same damn score! Go figure...