• CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Meehan's day after WSU post

• U Zig, I Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

This makes me like KO a little better.

“I felt like nothing was clicking,” Olynyk said. “They jumped on us a bit, we knew they were going to come out strong. It’s almost unexplainable. I’ve never seen that from us before. Guys missed shots early, I don’t know if that deterred some people and got us thinking, but we didn’t really respond well.

“I’m not sure what’s happening, if we’re not looking for shots or executing right. I just think we need to settle down and play basketball. We’ve all played since we were little kids. We need to clear our minds and play the game we love playing.”

Comment

• Baldwinzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I love this from KO:

"I just think we need to settle down and play basketball. We’ve all played since we were little kids. We need to clear our minds and play the game we love playing.”

I would go back to the drawing board and simplify the game for these guys. Instead of 200+ plays, cut it to 20 plays and allow these guys to play. We're scoring most of our points in transition, which is precisely when we've made our mini-runs vs Illinois, K-State, and WSU last night. We need to put our fastest lineup on the floor and RUN. Meech, Gray, Arop, Dower, Elias and play loose, confident, and give everyone the "green light". Its sounds erratic and we may lose a couple given our simplified offense, but these guys need to restore their esteem, see the ball go into the hoop, and rid themselves of the hesitancy and/or nervousness they are playing with. I think if Coach Few goes back to the way he practiced at the beginning of last year, it'd help in the long-run.

We are a talented bunch, but imploding at the moment and not on the same page whatsoever. Our body language, chemistry, and hesistant play is killing our chances of being able to do anything efficiently. So, scratch the half-court crap for awhile and let these guys loose. Make practice about defensive intensity, defending the three, and some rebounding drills. After that, let them have fun on offense and see what they can do. At least for the next 3 weeks or so...until they gain some momentum as a TEAM again. We have no business losing to Xavier, Wake, or even Okie St, but we will lose if we keep trying to go against the grain and turn our guys into teams of old. They need to break out, play loose, and inspired. Let them go for a little bit and see what happens.
      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

I can't imagine we have 200 sets. ( I mean, I imagine we do... but it doesnt show).

BZ is right, we get points in transition and that's about it. There isn't a set for transistion ball - just play quick and smart.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Hard to compete when you studs fail to show

1rst Half

Gray miss
          Sacre TO
          Gray TO
          Gray TO
          Sacre Foul
          Harris miss
          Goodson miss
          Sacre Foul
          Sacre TO
          Gray Miss 3
          MM TO
          KO Miss
          Gray Miss
          Gray Miss 3
          MM Miss
          Carter Miss
          Gray hits a 3 with 7 minutes gone

2nd Half to the 15;00 mark

Sacre miss dunk
          Sacre TO
          Gray Miss 3
          Sacre TO
          Sacre TO
          KO made 2 point (17;25 mark)
          Sacre made
          MM Miss
          Gray TO
          Gray Miss 3
          Dower TO

Nothing from harris, gray cant buy a bucket and Sacre was a TO machine

Hard to win games that way.
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• bballbeachbum
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post

1rst Half

Gray miss
            Sacre TO
            Gray TO
            Gray TO
            Sacre Foul
            Harris miss
            Goodson miss
            Sacre Foul
            Sacre TO
            Gray Miss 3
            MM TO
            KO Miss
            Gray Miss
            Gray Miss 3
            MM Miss
            Carter Miss

Sacre miss dunk
            Sacre TO
            Gray Miss 3
            Sacre TO
            Sacre TO
            Sacre made
            MM Miss
            Gray TO
            Gray Miss 3
            Dower TO

thanks for the recap. that's pretty bad obviously. couple the 2nd half start with what WSU did (51 2nd half points...51) and it's blowout city

Comment

• SWZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
              This makes me like KO a little better.

“I felt like nothing was clicking,” Olynyk said. “They jumped on us a bit, we knew they were going to come out strong. It’s almost unexplainable. I’ve never seen that from us before. Guys missed shots early, I don’t know if that deterred some people and got us thinking, but we didn’t really respond well.

“I’m not sure what’s happening, if we’re not looking for shots or executing right. I just think we need to settle down and play basketball. We’ve all played since we were little kids. We need to clear our minds and play the game we love playing.”
              What I see with his comments are that the players know something's not right. They don't want to lose. They don't want to be embarrassed. These are competitors, and if they had the answers, they wouldn't be doing what their doing now. They will find a way. They don't need the fans to harp on the fact that they aren't performing as past teams have. Teams need to find themselves. They will come around. It can't be easy to struggle and a large portion of the fan base not being positive and supportive.

Keep it up guys, you'll turn it around and utilize these struggles to make the future even better. Pull together and get closer as a team to get thru these tough times and you'll be well off.

Go Zags

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• VinnyZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

At the start of the second half, WSU ran a really simple downscreen, which Thompson curled for a wide-open jumper. It looked like they were trying to get Thompson something easy to build some confidence, and after that he took off.

What's Gonzaga's version of that play? Why don't we have something in our arsenal to get Gray an easy look in order to build confidence?

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                  At the start of the second half, WSU ran a really simple downscreen, which Thompson curled for a wide-open jumper. It looked like they were trying to get Thompson something easy to build some confidence, and after that he took off.

What's Gonzaga's version of that play? Why don't we have something in our arsenal to get Gray an easy look in order to build confidence?
                  WSU was playing zone all night and cheating his way when he got the ball with two defenders. The weak spot was in the corner but Gray was running the offense from around the top of the key. Incidentally, this was also an aweful place to feed the post because the middle defender was able to get help from the baseline defender all night because there wasn't an offensive threat in the corner to keep WSU honest. That's my two cents...

Comment

• Zag79
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

1rst Half

Gray miss
                    Sacre TO
                    Gray TO
                    Gray TO
                    Sacre Foul
                    Harris miss
                    Goodson miss
                    Sacre Foul
                    Sacre TO
                    Gray Miss 3
                    MM TO
                    KO Miss
                    Gray Miss
                    Gray Miss 3
                    MM Miss
                    Carter Miss

Sacre miss dunk
                    Sacre TO
                    Gray Miss 3
                    Sacre TO
                    Sacre TO
                    Sacre made
                    MM Miss
                    Gray TO
                    Gray Miss 3
                    Dower TO

+1! Gray was getting open looks, sacre too. The shots weren't going down and we were still in the game. On the road against a good team that always spells disaster if they don't start falling. And I fully agree with SWZag, fantastic post.

Comment

• Zag79
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Gonzaga spent the last 7 minutes of the first half, in particular the last 5, trimming a 19-point deficit to six at the break. Game on, it appeared. But on the Bulldogs’ first possession of the second half, Steven Gray lobs a pass over the back line of WSU’s zone defense to center Rob Sacre, who misses a dunk. Sacre gets the ball back and is promptly stripped by Abe Lodwick.

Klay Thompson drives and scores at the other end, WSU 32-24. Gray is open from 22 feet, but his shot is long and Elias Harris picks up his third foul on the rebound. Lodwick buries a 3 on a pick-and-pop, a recurring issue for GU’s defense this season.

WSU 35-24, timeout Gonzaga.
                      yeah, meech didnt shoot and maybe should have. but he wasnt mentioned in here, ya know where we muffed it up majorly. interesting. so note to self, meech shoot more. others, do alot of things better. defense, limiting turn overs, making a basket, making a pass, and so on. get better, go Zags!

Comment

• Saxon_zag
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post

That sounds way too simple for Few to implement. Our offense had the movement of a bad High school team last night. A reporter asks Few about the 3's and he dodges that and says "we couldn't guard anyone tonight. Great Mark, but seriously why can't any of your teams ever guard the 3?

Best big man on the team right now = Dower. He is the only guy that can catch and finish down low. Sacre has some of the worst hands and worst ball habits I've seen from a GU big man since Mamerry Diallo, he is an absolute turnover machine. Dower= only zag that didn't stink up Pullman last night.

Stockton is terrible on D and a huge liability. Reggie Moores' eyes lit up every time little Stockton was on him and he got him in the air for a foul on 3 separate occasions, someone tell the kid he's not going to block any shots.

Sacre should flat out not start against ND. Give Dower and Harris the starts. Take Carter off the leash and kill the hard-on for Stockton, Mark.

Comment

• Saxon_zag
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Oh and I LOVE Sam's game and think he will be an absolute beast here. That is if Few's odd treatment of him and this team in general this season don't scare him away.

Tell me this team couldn't use G.J. or Grant Gibbs right now. I wish

Comment

• MickMick
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Saxon_zag View Post
                            Oh and I LOVE Sam's game and think he will be an absolute beast here. That is if Few's odd treatment of him and this team in general this season don't scare him away.

Tell me this team couldn't use G.J. or Grant Gibbs right now. I wish
                            This team might actually be really good with Gibbs passing/shooting from the point. We will never know.

When Matt missed the Davidson game with the concussion, Gibbs started and the offense looked like it had a nice flow to it. At least relative to what we are seeing now. He wasn't robbing Meech (who had a nice game) of minutes either.
                            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
                              Kennel Club
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                              This team might actually be really good with Gibbs passing/shooting from the point. We will never know.

When Matt missed the Davidson game with the concussion, Gibbs started and the offense looked like it had a nice flow to it. At least relative to what we are seeing now. He wasn't robbing Meech (who had a nice game) of minutes either.
                              Yep, I just don't get the Gibbs thing at all. I was very excited when we got him and was impressed every time I saw him play. GJ I get...he was a Meech clone and we don't need 2 of them. Gibbs was more of a Matt B prototype and we can sure see how we need that now! I would love to hear the conversations that went on to make GG decide he needed to leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X