PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

Reborn
12-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Try keeping your head when all those about you are losing theirs. Not sure if I got the quote right.

Mark Few, and his assistants, are facing the biggest challenge in his career. Its a fact. I really have to admit, now that my anger has disappeared and I have returned to my normal self, that it really hurt to see the anguish on Mark Few's face and body. I must admit that the anguish I saw in him I felt in myself too. And honestly, I sat and watched the game almost in the same posture that Few finally found himself in.

I don't believe Mark Few let the team down nor abandoned them, or the fans. I think he did use that game as a teachable moment. And I was glad he let the starters and leaders of this team sit and just feel the embarrassment of their performance. I also believe that Mark Few knows what he's doing, and I now experience a trust in him that I am glad I have. Even though I am different from him, I believe He knows what he's doing and I trust him. I hope you can find that in yourself too.

As fans, let just relax a little and get some perspective, and do what great fans do....believe in their coach and team. I think a good fan resists the traps of negative thinking and resists letting them pull us down. I am as negative as the next guy at times. I'm just like most of you. I just have a way with myself where I get over my negative self pretty fast. I realize that this is what sports is about, and thats why I am involved with it. It's a way I use to practice a lot of things that help me grow into a better person. I love the way it helps me escape my everyday routines in life, and lets me enter a fantacy world for a couple of hours. I get to be emotional in a way for two hours that I never am in life. I'm a pretty reserved guy, but not as a fan. Its a good release.... I prefer the joy of victory over the agony of defeat. But both are realities, and both help me become a better person in my life and in my community.

Its very difficult to follow the path of love and kindness, especially when everything around me seems to be falling apart. But somehow through my own pesonal battles in life, I have come to believe that when things are falling apart, and they seem so very difficult, that it is best for me to ask what I can do to make that situation better.

So I guess what I'm trying to do is just to ask you, as fans of GU basketball, to pull together. To continue to believe and not give up. Its just too easy to give up and quit. I thank God for my family, because more than anyone, they were the ones who always encouraged me the most to never QUIT.

Zag4Hire
12-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Great post Reborn. Hit the nail on the head regarding Few: Old cowhands aren't there, lost quite a few returning players, frontcourt emphasis change different from GU's identity, no Pendo or similar player to light fire, etc. Let's keep our head up. Hopefully this next stretch will be smoother sailing or the rest of December could be bleek.

Sat, Dec 11 at (23) Notre Dame 8:30 pm
Sat, Dec 18 at (10) Baylor 4:30 pm
Wed, Dec 22 Xavier 11:00 pm
Fri, Dec 31 Oklahoma St. 10:00 pm

75Zag
12-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Try keeping your head when all those about you are losing theirs.

Perhaps this is what you were trying to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoS5ST6hXk

Go Bulldogs!

zag944
12-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Ive seen enough basketball teams turn things around when it didnt look so great.

Hell, our 2002-03 team started things off 5-3 (instead of this years 4-4). When we went to Pullman to play a WSU team that wasnt nearly as good we needed an OT to pull out a win. I wasnt on these boards then, but I kinda wonder if people were wondering if maybe Stepp, Skinner, Brooks, Gourde, Violette, etc. werent quite made of the stuff that Calvary, Frahm, and Santangelo were. seems kind of silly now.
Starting that season, we had an offensively challenged starting pg, an identity crisis at the center position, and our star player was turning the ball over a lot.
Then Blake absolutely exploded, Gourde stepped back as Turiaf and Fox started earning more minutes, etc etc.
That was one of my favorite teams GU has had, and they really pulled it together as the season progressed. Even though weve gone farther in the tourney a few times, that squad looked like it was one of the toughest GU teams to beat.

So yeah, maybe these guys will figure it out. Weve seen Gray slump before, but we also know how special he can be when things are going right. Players could emerge to relieve Sacre and Goodson, who dont look like they can handle as much as we'd have liked them to.

I believe in Few and staff. Regardless of what weve seen so far, I think this team could suprise people and show a lot of heart. Its happened before.

All that said, I am always afraid from a global perspective. GU's program can't really afford down seasons (which a lot of people think this one is already) the way other programs can. One wonders if we could fall off the quality programs landscape as quickly as we found our way onto it.

Reborn
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Perhaps this is what you were trying to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoS5ST6hXk

Go Bulldogs!

Thanks for the song. Here's one I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO0nTrH0CXg

kclubfounder
12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Reborn,

Thank you. You took the time to eloquently post exactly what I was hoping someone would take the time to eloquently post.

zagfan24
12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Nice post Reborn.

I repeat the same line to myself after pretty much every Gonzaga loss that I get all worked up and upset about: "This is just basketball, a game of 18 - 22 year olds trying to put a round ball in a 10 foot basket."

If my favorite college basketball team doing this less effectively than another team is the worst part of my day, then that's a damn good day.

ZagKing09
12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Nice post Reborn.

I repeat the same line to myself after pretty much every Gonzaga loss that I get all worked up and upset about: "This is just basketball, a game of 18 - 22 year olds trying to put a round ball in a 10 foot basket."

If my favorite college basketball team doing this less effectively than another team is the worst part of my day, then that's a damn good day.

+1

Mantua
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
All that said, I am always afraid from a global perspective. GU's program can't really afford down seasons (which a lot of people think this one is already) the way other programs can. One wonders if we could fall off the quality programs landscape as quickly as we found our way onto it.

Do all of us really fear that the Zag's successful run is going to be over? Beginning now? I could continue to be interested in and supportive of GU Basketball, but it would take some time to feel like it was fun to watch the games. I'm not suggesting that I believe the Zags are permanently down despite the fact that I even question that they are ready for the the WCC at this moment. My perspective is to imagine the worst and get on with the struggle.

willandi
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice post Reborn.

I just wish they would let us use the 10 foot basket too!!! It would help our 3 point shooting.

adoptedzag
12-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Reborn, can I ask that you add a "tl;dr" summary at the end of your posts please? :)