PDA

View Full Version : Turn back the clock

ZagNut08
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Not sure if I have posted this before, but in HS Klay wanted to play at Gonzaga...but the coaches had no interest.

My buddy was one of his high school coaches at Santa Margarita, and when I would be home we would go play hoops and talk about how Klay's family would call the coaches/send video, etc. because Gonzaga was his #1 school, but the coaches simply wouldn't give him the time of day.

Wish we could turn back the clocks on that one.

In the coaches defense, it wasn't like he was in our backyard, and he wasn't some highly touted top 50 recruit or anything. He played in a Santa Margarita system that usualy limits players from putting up gaudy stats (although many write ups said it was impressive how much he was scoring in the system.)

It's one thing to watch them go to another school and flourish, but watching them flourish while their team burries us is painful.

ZagsObserver
12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Speaking of recruiting, there have been plenty of head-scratchers over the last few years, as well as an infatuation with foreign players. I love getting the occasional foreign, overlooked star, but don't care for the current recruiting strategy. Fortunately, we have some good guys coming in next year.

jbslicer
12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
We could use a Pargo-esque guard.

xjzico
12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Klay Thompson was not unknown, a huge recruit, and a great get for the Bennetts. In my mind his commitment was confirmation of how they completely turned around the WSU program. Can't speak to GU's recruitment if any. We'd need to look at who the staff was bringing in that year. Early on there might have been interest but maybe it wasn't reciprocal.

Scout (http://california.scout.com/a.z?s=166&p=8&c=1&nid=2922369)

Rivals (http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Klay-Thompson-70993)

sittingon50
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Pangos then, eh observer?

ZagsObserver
12-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Sittingon50. I love the Pangos pickup. I was not a fan of the keita pickup.

U Zig, I Zag
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Pangos then, eh observer?

America's hat? Doesn't count as 'foreign'.

;)

sittingon50
12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm half Canadian U Zig & sometimes I feel very foreign.

:D