PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Coach Few .

HillBillyZag
12-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Before you file 13 this note , Coach , let me assure you that I do not intend to denigrate your efforts and forget all that your basketball program has done for this University and our entire area by jumping on the pile to kick you when your're down . All of us fans owe you our loyalty , at the very least . On the other hand , with the apparent collapse of this 2010-11 team , there are questions that must be asked ? And as has has been your manner , you make no particular effort to share with the fans any practice tidbits , game plans ,
or other insider facts that may have a bearing on what appears to be a team
that thus far has shown little or or no improvement from the first game , through last nights debacle against our Coug neighbors . I have ask you to let us in on the secret , why have the wheels fallen off ? And with the best of intent I must also ask : Why did you have the smallest kids on the team inbounding the ball under the basket , when on at least four occasions it cost you turnovers and points ? David is undersized , Mathis is very inexperienced, and Kelly , at times , is all thumbs , but those three kids were the ONLY ones who made any EFFORT to DEFEND last nite . ? I don't know your feelings on the matter , but I played for a pretty good high school coach who always swore that if he had to lose/, he would lose with kids that were at least giving their best efforts ! Unfortunately last night that appeared to be only David , and Mathis , obviously not the biggest , most talented , or most experienced kids on your team . It all starts with DEFENSE , and that can be taught ! Games are won by scoring , but CHAMPIONSHIPS are won by DEFENDING ! You know that Coach , Fitz knew it , Monson knew it , and so do you ! Go back to " dancing with the girl that you brought to the dance " . unwrap the FLEX and start playing DEFENSE , make the kids believe and the WINS will come again !

jazzdelmar
12-09-2010, 08:38 AM
billy-i wdnt burn too much computer light waiting for a response.....few is a good and decent man who has lost his way. maybe he will get back on track or maybe he will take the urban meyer route and gather his thoughts and some rosebuds along the way.

theres no sense here in bashing the players. they are what they are. dont u think rob is trying as hard as he can. despite his dismissive moods, gray cares. harris has a lot of weight on his bum shoulder, looking for a pay day and a nations adoration. etc.

at the end of the day, its all abt recruiting and management/coaching.

DixieZag
12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
The fact that we start every single competitive game down by 10 is a direct reflection of preparation. The first few minutes of every game, every half, are a reflection of preparation.

No way has Few forgotten how to coach. The question is whether he has forgotten how to coach against the deficiencies of this team. We have players that have been stars on other stages, something is wrong in the message they are receiving here. Why was Kelly such an asset to Canada over the summer and such a liability now? He rebounds the ball 3 feet from the basket and fights to get it back outside rather than put it back up.

EVERYONE except Steven (who is guarded by 3 people) is afraid to shoot.

Why does Few continue to make a team in disarray worse by subbing for every single mistake.

He needs to realize that there is some talent on this team, but it is not as deep as we thought, the answers do not lie in the fourth man on the bench. Pick your 5 most consistent or hopeful, Carter, Gray, Manny, Elias, and Sacre - sub in Dower, Mathis - and KO once in a while. Start Dower if Elias is hurt. Let them gain some confidence and get to know each other. Tell them to shoot open shots, drive the lane, - our best offense is the O-rebound and back up.

Play zone all game, press occassionaly - anything to get away from our predictable liabilities.

The team does not lack desire - they lack ANY confidence - perhaps start complimenting everyone, tell them how GOOD they are - breakdown the big first half comeback - that was amazing, talk about how good they can be if they play like that. They are down enough on themselves, loosen them up, crack some jokes, start talking about how why he believes in them.

If we could get some shots to fall, win a big game (like this weekend) and then another, the team could "find" itself.

I do not think this is likely to happen.

VinnyZag
12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I hope he resorts to drastic measures for the Notre Dame game. GU isn't going to win anyway, so use this game to make a point.

Shut down Harris entirely. He shouldn't play again until he's healthy, probably not until conference play starts.

Start Dower and Stockton on Saturday. Maybe Hart, too. Send the message that the guys who play hard will get minutes, whether they're on scholarship or not.

Bring Gray, Sacre and Meech off the bench. They're the leaders. They should be held accountable.

CB4
12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Your posts are incredibly difficult to read. There is no need to put spaces between the words and punctuation: commas, exclamation marks, periods, semicolons, etc.

Right: Go Zags!

Wrong Go Zags !

Sorry to be a dick but it's an easy fix that will give your writing a lot more credibility.

El Zag
12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
"The fact that we start every single competitive game down by 10 is a direct reflection of preparation."

It is not just every "competitive" game. Emporia State went up 7-zip a
year or two ago.
Gonzaga is notorious for playing to the level of competition.

Typically the Gonzaga "team" begins with the Ibar Arrington defense. Ibar was a boxer who would present his ungaurded melon to the opponent
in an apparent attempt to wear out (or show how tough he was) the
opponent. He won some fights but the doctor forced him into retirement.

Hoopaholic
12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I dont mind asking questions but can we at least agree to be HONEST...you claim only couple kids played defense....please describe to me where Goodson was sleeping, lacked energy or was not playing defense while on the court....I submit to you that he was doing all those but was benched for not taking open shots....at least be intellectually honest about the facts of the game.

Sacre was playing great Defense until he picked up 2 fouls, one of which was very questionable.....

Its not like WSU was burning up the nets the first 7 minutes of the game or so. It was our offensive end that was stinking it up (missed layups, missed shots, not taking open shots)

At the 14 minute mark Carter in for Goodson score was 7-0
Team minus 7
At the 9 minute mark Stockton in score was 17-5
Team minus 12
At the 4;52 minute mark goodson in Score was 31-13
Team minus 18
At half Score was 31-24
Team minus 7

Hmmmm we down 7 Goodson goes out, Down 18 when goodson comes in and we are down 7 at half.......

10 minute mark to the 4;52 mark WSU shots made/missed were as follows (without Sacre or Goodson in game):
Moore 3 point shot made
Aden 3 point shot made
Simon 3 point shot made
Thompson 3 point shot made
Aden 3 point shot MISSED
Simon 3 point shot missed
Aden Layup
Capers 2 point shot missed

4 for 6 from 3 point land
1-2 2 point land

5 for 8 shooting during this stretch that Goodson and Sacre were on bench

First 10 minutes WSU shots made/missed were as follows (with Sacre and goodson in game)
3 point shot missed
2point shot missed
2 point shot missed
3 pont shot missed
DUNK
2 point missed
2 point missed
DUNK
2 point missed
2 point missed
2 point missed
2 point made

0-2 3 point shooting
3-10 2 point shooting

3 for 12 shooting with Starting lineup in game

Last 4 minutes of first half with starters back in

WSU
Missed 9 in a row from 2 point land and 1 missed three point shot

0 for 10

GU in last 4 minutes 3-3 with 1 three pointer made

Starters playing about 12 minutes of the first half their defensive effort held WSU shooting to the following:

3-22 overall in shooting 0-3 in 3 point land 13% shooting

Starters NOT in the game for 8 minute stretch our defensive effort "held" WSU shooting to the following:

5-8 overall 4 for 6 from 3 point land 66% shooting

*at least the first half of the game Sacre and Goodson had a direct impact on the defensive side of the court.

ZagFan98
12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Before you file 13 this note , Coach , let me assure you that I do not intend to denigrate your efforts and forget all that your basketball program has done for this University and our entire area by jumping on the pile to kick you when your're down . All of us fans owe you our loyalty , at the very least . On the other hand , with the apparent collapse of this 2010-11 team , there are questions that must be asked ? And as has has been your manner , you make no particular effort to share with the fans any practice tidbits , game plans ,
or other insider facts that may have a bearing on what appears to be a team
that thus far has shown little or or no improvement from the first game , through last nights debacle against our Coug neighbors . I have ask you to let us in on the secret , why have the wheels fallen off ? And with the best of intent I must also ask : Why did you have the smallest kids on the team inbounding the ball under the basket , when on at least four occasions it cost you turnovers and points ? David is undersized , Mathis is very inexperienced, and Kelly , at times , is all thumbs , but those three kids were the ONLY ones who made any EFFORT to DEFEND last nite . ? I don't know your feelings on the matter , but I played for a pretty good high school coach who always swore that if he had to lose/, he would lose with kids that were at least giving their best efforts ! Unfortunately last night that appeared to be only David , and Mathis , obviously not the biggest , most talented , or most experienced kids on your team . It all starts with DEFENSE , and that can be taught ! Games are won by scoring , but CHAMPIONSHIPS are won by DEFENDING ! You know that Coach , Fitz knew it , Monson knew it , and so do you ! Go back to " dancing with the girl that you brought to the dance " . unwrap the FLEX and start playing DEFENSE , make the kids believe and the WINS will come again !

You are exactly right. Coach Few needs to go back to what made Gonzaga a national presence. Although he doesn't have the exact same tangables as past teams, he has enough talent and role players to make a team worth considering as a top 15 team in the nation. Few needs to find a leader for his team to set the example for the young and upcoming players. Gray jumps out in my mind as that player. Before you had Bouldin, Calvary, Blake, Turiaf, Morrison, Dickau and many more players in Mark Few's era but this year seems to lake that kind of leadership. Few needs a leader and should have no problem finding one, but is that leader up to the task...we will have to find out.

Bogozags
12-09-2010, 11:04 AM
.....few is a good and decent man who has lost his way. maybe he will get back on track or maybe he will take the urban meyer route and gather his thoughts and some rosebuds along the way....

jazz I can't disagree more about this comment and the comments many of my fellow Zag fans are making after last night's game.

Coach Few still has the same great basketball mind and he has not lost his way!

We all love our Zags but at this point and time of the season, they are just not very good!

Just maybe, losing Matt Bouldin was much bigger than any of us had thought!

There are a number of reasons on why we have lost four games, three by blowouts but I am sure it isn't because Coach Few has lost his way.

We are just not that good! We do not have great athletes and we sure don't execute well. We don't defend well and we don't shoot it well. We don't pass well and we don't hustle well either.

Coach Few recruits as best he can but the players have to execute the game plan. Had we hit three of our first 10 shots, then we would have been in the game and possibly in the lead!

When I coached, each win belonged to the players and each loss was my responsibility BUT I couldn't make any passes or shots nor defend BUT it was still my loss, because maybe there might have been some thing I could have done to change the outcome of the game.

Coach Few and his Staff are professionals. They are the SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS and it is so easy to sit back and criticize after the game.

Until you have walked in his shoes....

Hoopaholic
12-09-2010, 11:28 AM
+1,000 Bogozag...nice post

HillBillyZag
12-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I appreciate the critique , CB4 , however when you are 72 years of age , one's composition , typing skills nor attitude are what they once were . Be that as it may ?, my book editors tell me the same thing , and thanks for the reminder . On the other hand ?,If the Zags were my age they might have had an excuse last nite ?

zag buddy
12-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Quite often players often need to change behavior, attitude, and style of playing. The same can be said for coaches. I would like this to be a learning experience for the coaches and not just an attitude of we are the coaches you are the players, do as we say. How about if the coaches and players write a synopsis on what they think went wrong in this game from their perspective and then the coaches analysing the data to see what they can learn, where the players are having problems and make adjustments. It is a team effort, win or lose, after all.

ZagKing09
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Coach Few recruits as best he can but the players have to execute the game plan. Had we hit three of our first 10 shots, then we would have been in the game and possibly in the lead!

Bogo, no one is getting on Few as a recruiter. Yes I agree the coach is not the one on the floor missing shots, but the real problem last night seemed to be that the team that walked out on the floor in blue jerseys lacked overall cohesiveness, direction and confidence (those I would say a coach can impact). Take for example Coach Izzo (a very good NCAA coach) who came out and said:

If the team doesn’t play hard enough and is tough enough that’s the coach’s fault and we’ll fix that.

And I feel that is our problem as well...

zag70
12-09-2010, 05:28 PM
This team is totally "not" coached. There is no discipline. Team members can show up on the bus 30 minutes late and no discipline! There is no preparation .... rather there is a feeling of entitlement and then you are 10 points down. There is no defense. Shots are way open. Offensive plays? Forget the playbook.....get back to fundamentals. I cannot believe a 7' player allows someone of much lesser hgth and ability block him, tho the same 7' seems unable to break a 2-3 year habit of lowering the rebound to his waist. I won't comment re effort; but in KC it was horrible...not much better in Seattle. In the meantime, the coaching bench is silent! Maybe this is just another example of "quiet time."

Zag79
12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I dont mind asking questions but can we at least agree to be HONEST...you claim only couple kids played defense....please describe to me where Goodson was sleeping, lacked energy or was not playing defense while on the court....I submit to you that he was doing all those but was benched for not taking open shots....at least be intellectually honest about the facts of the game.

Sacre was playing great Defense until he picked up 2 fouls, one of which was very questionable.....

Its not like WSU was burning up the nets the first 7 minutes of the game or so. It was our offensive end that was stinking it up (missed layups, missed shots, not taking open shots)

At the 14 minute mark Carter in for Goodson score was 7-0
Team minus 7
At the 9 minute mark Stockton in score was 17-5
Team minus 12
At the 4;52 minute mark goodson in Score was 31-13
Team minus 18
At half Score was 31-24
Team minus 7

Hmmmm we down 7 Goodson goes out, Down 18 when goodson comes in and we are down 7 at half.......

10 minute mark to the 4;52 mark WSU shots made/missed were as follows (without Sacre or Goodson in game):
Moore 3 point shot made
Aden 3 point shot made
Simon 3 point shot made
Thompson 3 point shot made
Aden 3 point shot MISSED
Simon 3 point shot missed
Aden Layup
Capers 2 point shot missed

4 for 6 from 3 point land
1-2 2 point land

5 for 8 shooting during this stretch that Goodson and Sacre were on bench

First 10 minutes WSU shots made/missed were as follows (with Sacre and goodson in game)
3 point shot missed
2point shot missed
2 point shot missed
3 pont shot missed
DUNK
2 point missed
2 point missed
DUNK
2 point missed
2 point missed
2 point missed
2 point made

0-2 3 point shooting
3-10 2 point shooting

3 for 12 shooting with Starting lineup in game

Last 4 minutes of first half with starters back in

WSU
Missed 9 in a row from 2 point land and 1 missed three point shot

0 for 10

GU in last 4 minutes 3-3 with 1 three pointer made

Starters playing about 12 minutes of the first half their defensive effort held WSU shooting to the following:

3-22 overall in shooting 0-3 in 3 point land 13% shooting

Starters NOT in the game for 8 minute stretch our defensive effort "held" WSU shooting to the following:

5-8 overall 4 for 6 from 3 point land 66% shooting

*at least the first half of the game Sacre and Goodson had a direct impact on the defensive side of the court.

and... game over. funny thing is that in reality, biased opinions dont hold much weight to facts. great post and very true. this game was lost in other areas, and the zags will get better.

ZagLawGrad
12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I believe in Few, but admit being disappointed that he appeared to give up when he sat down and crossed his legs on the bench.

But as good a coach he is, it's going to be an uphill battle with this year's version of the Zags.