• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spokanicoug
    Bulldog Fan
    • Nov 2007

Robert Sacre

Continuing the trend of last season. 84" of invisibility. Should legally change his name to Robert Softcre.
  • adoptedzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spokanicoug View Post
    Continuing the trend of last season. 84" of invisibility. Should legally change his name to Robert Softcre.
    For a guy who "spent a lot of time in the weight room" this summer, he gained the slowness from the added weight, but I'm not seeing the strength. If I'm 7' and 250+ and a 6'6" guard comes over to try and block my shot, I'm putting that guard on the floor. There's no excuse for getting blocked like that.

Comment

• kyle dixon
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Thanks Spokanicoug

Way to stay classy! Seriously? Necessary?

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I have never ever thought Rob Sacre was soft. I have never understood that take on him.

He's slow and can't jump. JP Batista was slow as well, but Rob doesn't possess a great shooting touch and the kind of A+ level fundamentals necessary to be a good big man despite physical shortcomings. He still resorts to too many bad habits.

Comment

• EngineerZag
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Feb 2007

Sacre has actually been our most consistent performer this year. Those two quick fouls in the first half that limited his action were both complete BS. That first one - you've gotta be kidding me - that block was as clean as it gets and he did a beautiful job twisting his body around the player to avoid contact. I don't think he even touched his hand! And the second foul which was a complete flop was also ridiculous. Bad officiating on both ends tonight IMO.

And then even when he was playing, he was getting hacked and shoved every time he touched with the ball and not getting a lot of calls when it happened. There was one time he was very blantantly shoved in the back when trying to get a pass and it resulted in a TO with no call. I was furious.

Comment

• tobizag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
            I have never ever thought Rob Sacre was soft. I have never understood that take on him.
            i think we all know he's not soft on D. he's soft on offense. too many fade aways, too many weak moves. not enough savage-man-dunks.
            sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

• zagzilla
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spokanicoug View Post
              You should leave now Spokanicoug. Head out to kegger and then go cow tipping.

Comment

• NEC26
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Malastein
                Bigs are reliant on guards to feed them. Sacre has played well this season, but he would look a lot better if he had better guards opening things up with their shots and then delivering good passes into the post.
                THIS! Our Bigs haven't gotten worse our point guard situation has.

Comment

• scott257
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2009

I think Spokanicoug is just pointing out the obvious. Sacre doesn't provide any evidence that he can play like a dominant big man. If you recorded the game just take a look at the first time he had the ball in the paint last night. He had the ball at his waist and was tied up by a much smaller player. It is just sad.

Comment

• Birddog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I think Sacre is playing better defensively this year and he's less prone to fouls except for last night's 1st half when he was whistled for two that were questionable. Offensively, he hasn't progressed much, and from the looks of how teams are defending him, there must be an instructional video up on YouTube. Everybody does the same thing and it works every time, just like the way they exploit the Zag's lack of 3 pt defense. The missed flush and the block against Sacre last night were just horrible, even Marques couldn't hold back criticism.
                    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                    All mimsy were the borogoves,
                    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Schmitty
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Until Sacre, Harris, or one of the other big men actually steps up and sends a message to opposing teams entering the paint (see Casto vs. Olenyk), they will all be considered soft.

As for the PG's not getting the ball Sacre... knowing what Robert does with the ball when he gets it can you blame them?

Comment

• zag944
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

if he catches it that is

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

This is the summary of Rob, for me:

Rob grabbed a rebound and bobbled it TO HIMSELF, THREE TIMES. He was essentially alone. When he finally got a hold of it he was in the same old wide stance - teetering on falling over and looking to pass it in a panic. He doesn't have an instinct for the ball. The points he gets are most likely coming from the line. He doesn't have soft hands, quick feet and an arsenal of instictive basketball moves that goes to. He is a black hole a good % of the time. He almost gets his points/boards inspite of his size, not because of it. There is no reason that a 7-foot guy built like him should be dropping the ball down low, getting blocked by a 6'7 guy on a TWO HANDED DUNK.

I am getting sick of watching it, frankly.

Play Sam first, Rob second. Sam can do everything Rob can do and do it better. Rob is not a defensive presence, he is just a body. Sam can do that and maybe get a sense of urgency being on the floor more. Sam can put it on the deck. He is a legitimate shooter from the 3-pt line in. He can go both left and right and he puts the ball in the hoop.

Comment

• EuroZag2010
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2010

Sacre has one good game, one bad game ex. Illnois game - good game - wsu horrible he had a decent game against Kansas st and a rough start against Marquette correct me if I'm wrong ...what's with the up and downs but I guess it all comes to guard play alot of our players look lost and outta place
                            Last edited by EuroZag2010; 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM. Reason: Missed words
                            "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
                            -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• roxdoc
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Coach Daniels does not seem to have had much of an impact...hard to teach old dogs new tricks?

Comment

Working...
                              X