PDA

View Full Version : Bouldin A Finalist for U19 National Team

Angelo Roncalli
05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Matt is one of 20 finalists for the US U19 national team that will play in the world championships in Serbia in July:

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=pp&action=show&id=39314

CDC84
05-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Matt will make this team.....unless he decides not to participate.

It goes beyond the fact that he has one year of division one experience as a starter (mostly) in a top 25 program (unlike many of the invitees who are high schoolers). It has to do with the fact that he can play 3 positions. There is no invitee that has his versatility. That kind of versatility is so valuable when selecting a team like this as it allows the staff to choose other players for more specialized roles.

I am also a real believer in Wainwright's abilities as a basketball coach and talent evaluator. I have no doubt he is very aware of Bouldin and his abilities.

GonzagaGurl08
05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
That is so good for Matt. What an amazing experience both athletically and culturally. Here's to hoping Matt makes the Team USA U-19 squad, and has an amazing time!!

BobZag
05-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Congrats, Matt.

ZagNative
05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Matt will make this team.....unless he decides not to participate.

Is it possible Matt would actually turn down the opportunity to participate?

Interesting to note who was on the last U19 team - in 2003 (http://usabasketball.com/history/mjwc_2003.html)

meadgrad02
05-31-2007, 09:42 AM
wow, i had no idea that David played on that team. I couldn't believe that he made it, but I guess we never really got to see how he could play at Gonzaga.

meadgrad02
05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I think there is a possibility for him to turn it down. I mean with all the new guys coming in this year, it might be better for the whole team to be together this year to build chemistry on and off the court, imo. But it would also be an amazing experience to play on the team.

gamagin
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
do Matt and our other scholie athletes need to get permission from Few to join a particular team during the off season ?

These teams/groups/tourneys -- showcase events -- seem to be growing exponentially with the interest in bkb.

Conversely, are there some poorly managed tourneys on a do not join list? Perhaps exploitative, too commercial, or maybe even playing with the NCAA rules or the like ? bound to happen sometime with year round sports appearing to be the norm.

As an observer, it seems that most amateur sports are steadily getting out of hand.

there seems to be club sports showing up at the 8-9-10 y/old groups for just about every sport.

You won't see a kid, male or female, standing at mission park in cutoffs, head and shoulders above his teammates, for more than ten minutes before he/she is scooped up and offered a brand new uniform, a ride to and from each game and a chance to get into a real good school at the end of his/her year in montesori.

Birddog
05-31-2007, 10:04 AM
You won't see a kid, male or female, standing at mission park in cutoffs, head and shoulders above his teammates, for more than ten minutes before he/she is scooped up and offered a brand new uniform, a ride to and from each game and a chance to get into a real good school at the end of his/her year in montesori.

It isn't anything like it used to be is it? I fondly recollect Don Miller trying to organize 4 teams (Cubs, Bears, Indians, Giants), practice times, games etc down at Mission. Maybe the most unthinkable scenario for today would be the image of Don driving up and down the streets of the Mission area with a stationwagon load (three seats full and the tailgate) of 12 year olds. He thought we might be pretty good that year and thought uniforms (shirts) would be in order so we cruised up and down and across the area going door to door to panhandle for the $$$. We ended up with some nice green shirts made of some kind of nice jersey material. Of course they were turned in at the end of the season too.

Birddog

PS Oh yeah, we finished winning our division (NE), but losing in the qrtrs. Bump and Barry Wills played for Rogers and they were only about 6 and 8 at the time, pretty good too!

lawzag
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Congrats Matt!!
I can't imagine him not wanting to participate, what an opportunity. Hope everything falls into place for him. ;)