PDA

View Full Version : Does Kelly remind anyone else of Austin?

thespywhozaggedme
12-03-2010, 11:26 AM
So much talent,but not always the desire to utilize it.

U Zig, I Zag
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Not even in that way. Austin was slick, quick for his size and a play maker. Kelly is none of that, at least not a much as Austin was.

Austin as a sophomore on this team as it stands now would be fabulous.

He would be a senior this year? Wow. A PG (pick one), Gray, Austin, Harris, Sacre. that would be a heck of a team.

alldaye
12-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Daye was a lights out shooter who could get his own shot. Also blocked many shots defensively. I wish they were similar...

BroncoZAG615
12-03-2010, 11:37 AM

I agree in that they look uncomfortable with the way they are being utilized.

Watching highlights of Kelly play with the Canadian team, he's making plays. He's got great court vision with an ability to distribute and work from the outside in.

It is really simple. Both Austin and Kelly played guard in high school before hitting huge growth spurts. For some reason, our staff for the most part is throwing their natural gifts out the window and shoving them down in the paint to bang around. At certain points, Austin got to work outside and Kelly has from time to time. It is my opinoin that this is when they shine and succeed.

I know the desire was there in Austin and think it is with Kelly. They just have to be confident in their roles. A majority of the time, Austin wasn't and the same thing is going on with Kelly.

hooter73
12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I know people want to make that comparison and Josh comes to mind too because they all seem to play out of position, but in a word - NO.

Austin had tons of skill and was silky smooth. KO so far to say the least has not shown that.

MickMick
12-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Austin has more confidence in his shot.

cjm720
12-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Not even close and that description doesn't come close to reminding me of Austin either....calling out both's desire???????

MDABE80
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Well both were tall. Really tall!!!

ZagLawGrad
12-03-2010, 01:15 PM
He's big. But he has to toughen up. I don't sense he was recruited to play guard. Needs to play like a real big.

JohnOGU
12-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Austin had a swag and confidence to him. Kelly does not.

I agree with Broncozag that he's being forced to play out of position somewhat.

UberZagFan
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Uber seems to remember that Austin desired to use his talents so much that when it was constrained, his frustration showed through.

FuManShoes
12-03-2010, 01:29 PM
For some reason, our staff for the most part is throwing their natural gifts out the window and shoving them down in the paint to bang around.

I don't know, but it could be because they are both 6'11".

As to the original post, I think the poster is way off. Austin pouted but played hard. He blocked a ton of shots, took and made a lot of shots and was a confident if moody player. If he got pushed around it was because he was pencil-thin.

Kelly seems to be adjusting to his body and does not look smooth or confident out there. He isn't even driving like he was last year. But I don't see a lack of effort. The guy fights and goes after it - how may times has he gone after a loose ball on the floor? A: A lot - he just lacks coordination and confidence.

ZagLawGrad
12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
... he just lacks coordination and confidence.

Good point here. Lack of coordination may be a function of still growing.

DixieZag
12-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Kelly has to make a decision; he has to buy into being seven feet tall and inside/ or work much harder on his coordination/shot/passing. I am fine with him wanting to be the next Dirk - but he has to start making those threes that he is not taking or missing - and he has to start driving the lane like he did last year.

I do not see Few constraining him, he gets looks (just like last year) - it seems HE is not sure of what he wants. Daye was, if anything, too sure.

Kelly needs to get outside of his own head, (or stop reading these boards) b/c he seems to be the least confident player out there.

JohnOGU
12-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Kelly needs to get outside of his own head, (or stop reading these boards) b/c he seems to be the least confident player out there.

To me, Kelly looks like a lost puppy out there.

xjzico
12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I've been thinking a taller and improved rebounding version of Sean Mallon. Tall guy who coming in is kind of slight, maybe lacks the foot speed to work the perimeter and the strength/quickness to make plays in the post.

xjzico
12-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Maybe it's about creating and developing a position which uses Olynyk's talents to their utmost instead of pigeonholing him into a SF or F. Then by the end of his career he develops the skills to play a true position while retaining the unique qualities which are so intriguing.

Of course maybe that's happening before my eyes and I don't realize it? But right now I don't see what's going on in terms of his development and long term future.

hooter73
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Maybe it's about creating and developing a position which uses Olynyk's talents to their utmost instead of pigeonholing him into a SF or F. Then by the end of his career he develops the skills to play a true position while retaining the unique qualities which are so intriguing.

dont know if you can create a position for someone that is 7 ft, doesnt shoot well, wont dunk the ball, marginal to good passing, decent rebounding and has slow feet.

I'll be more than happy if this is his sophomore slump and he comes in next year and kills it but we could sure use him this year.

BigTymeONIONS
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Perfect comparison at this point is Mallon. First time I saw him in a Zags uni that was the first thing I thought of. Hopefully with the supposed perimeter skills he has he will develop into something more but I haven't seen it yet.

As it has already been mentioned, Daye was an NBA player as a soph while Kelly is unsure, uncoordinated, and has a looong way to go. Let's revisit this in two years.

xjzico
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
dont know if you can create a position for someone that is 7 ft, doesnt shoot well, wont dunk the ball, marginal to good passing, decent rebounding and has slow feet.
Let's hope this isn't the case. His play in the Canadian National program and glimpses from his freshman year suggest he has more to offer. It's part of the backlash IMO.

ZagLawGrad
12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Perfect comparison at this point is Mallon. First time I saw him in a Zags uni that was the first thing I thought of. Hopefully with the supposed perimeter skills he has he will develop into something more but I haven't seen it yet.

As it has already been mentioned, Daye was an NBA player as a soph while Kelly is unsure, uncoordinated, and has a looong way to go. Let's revisit this in two years.

As he matures, we may see something in a couple of years that will be a pretty good package. But for now, the Mallon comparison is a good one. Although I think KO can jump over a package of Ritz crackers.

cjm720
12-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Kelly's is quite productive, even if he doesn't look super comfortable out there...I belive it has to do with rotation.

Go Zags!!

Juskickenit2
12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
"Although I think KO can jump over a package of Ritz crackers."

I loved that quote forgot who said it.... mallon really had no ups.

zagzilla
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Oh Gawd! Here we go again with the passive aggressive question that spawns another bash and bellyache thread. This one is a twofer 'cause it invites criticism of Kelly AND Austin. Bravo!

What is going on around here?

Kelly just played the 6th game of his sophomore season. Cut him some slack.

Besides he's going off tomorrow vs Illinois

ZZ

gamagin
12-03-2010, 06:01 PM
It remains to be seen who can play with a greater level of consistency under the kind of pressure these Zags will be facing in the next three games.

The jury is still out which five will constitute a team, imo. There's little doubt who has turned out ahead of the pack in practice: KO.

The problem to the challengers, of course, is he's beaten them out and it is they who need to improve dramatically, not just slightly, occasionally, or when they are inspired, to take his place. And that hasn't happened.

I have seen flashes of brilliance from KO, a very high IQ, leadership and even impressive hops on occasion. Unfortunately they aren't consistent or often enough to count him as a permanent part of a reliable solution at his spot.

But that could be said of everyone except SG (discounting EH's injuries).

SO instead of nibbling away at KO's game and everything else, I think it behooves the Manny, Sam, MM and other-than-KO "fans" to try and figure out what they need to do to take KO, or anyone else's place, because until they fix their problems, it isn't going to happen.

Meantime, it's not as though KO is standing still. He's working on it and I believe it's going to come to him sooner than later. Someone said it looks like confidence holding him back. I agree. That and some maturity.

Bombs over Zaghdad
12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Well,
They are both Zags, and both very tall.

So yeah, I guess I see some similarity in their game.....

NOT AT ALL!!

AzZag
12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
to me, he looks like JP Batista grabbed Justin Bieber by the neck and twisted him all out Stretch Armstrong style...

Bombs over Zaghdad
12-03-2010, 08:24 PM
to me, he looks like JP Batista grabbed Justin Bieber by the neck and twisted him all out Stretch Armstrong style...

Solid Post! (Not talking about KO)

Zag 77
12-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Shooting ability: Daye

Height: Olynyk

Bossy dad: Daye

Coachability: Olynyk

Acting ability: Olynyk appeared on stage. Daye only acted on court.

Whiny attitude on court: Daye.:roll:

Shot blocking: Daye.

MickMick
12-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I just don't see the scoring ability from KO. Like Daye, he came here reknown for his offensive skill set. Daye demonstrated them from day one. KO shows flashes but isn't nearly as polished coming in.

zagco
12-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Don't really know why, but from the first time Zagco saw him play, he reminded Zagco of Spink.

hooter73
12-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Shooting ability: Daye

Height: Olynyk

Bossy dad: Daye

Coachability: Olynyk

Acting ability: Olynyk appeared on stage. Daye only acted on court.

Shot blocking: Daye.

Awesome :)

willandi
12-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Reminds me more of the sprawl of San Antonio than Austin. :D

WeSayZed
12-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Very different kinds of players. Daye measured 610 and 190 lbs. before his draft and Olynyk is 7 240, and hes added an inch and 20 lbs. of that since last year. Kelly was a guard a couple of years ago but he has a big mans body now, and I think hes still getting used to his new body. It may have been easier for him at the world championships playing against big men than it is playing against smaller but probably quicker college players.

WallaWallaZag
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM

I'll be more than happy if this is his sophomore slump and he comes in next year and kills it but we could sure use him this year.

though kelly hasn't yet showed the three point range that he's hyped to have, to say he doesn't shoot well isn't exactly correct...he has an over 63% fg percentage so far this year and they haven't all been layups. if anything, he needs to take every shot he has available, maybe even including threes. i'm with the group of people who think he's not comfortable with his role for some reason and therefore lacking confidence to shoot. maybe he's trying to run the offense and make plays too much instead of just playing.

U Zig, I Zag
12-04-2010, 09:11 AM

exactly

U Zig, I Zag
12-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Sometimes his antics were a bit wearing... but he was pissed, at himself, the refs, the team, etc. He wanted to win and despite his frame, I felt he brought it every game.

Daye had a better feel for the game then any of our starting 5 currently. He was a good passer, shooter and played defense in 'his own special way' that some how lead to 2 years of winning teams and a ton of block shots. Daye, at 6'11" was a legitimate handler bringing the ball up the court. He would shine on this team. He would be the go to guy, certainly.

People always seem so pissy about Daye's attitude, I think the only thing he didn't do 'for GU' was stay another year. But he had a shot at the first round and went for it. I say good for him.

MickMick
12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't know if I have ever seen a college player defend the inbound pass better than Daye. He could actually steal the ball while simultaniously defending the inbounder at the sideline. He would tip the ball to himself and then do something with it besides getting trapped at the sideline or knock it out of bounds.

Few is attempting to use KO in similar fashion but Daye set the bar very high. KO does well enough to disrupt passing lanes from that spot, but stealing the ball a handful of times from there was really quite remarkable for Daye.

bballbeachbum
12-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Good point here. Lack of coordination may be a function of still growing.

this is what I think. don't take this wrong, but remember the gangly kid in middle school? he reminds me of that kid a little moving around, still growing. but he plays hard, no issue there. seems like a developing power forward to me too; his touch needs to make a difference offensively--make open shots--to stretch his defender out to him so he can get by him with one looooooong step/finish to the hoop

on D, think he's better in the zone with his length and smarts at this point, as long as he boards strong out of it