PDA

View Full Version : Mike Burns out at EWU

wazZag
05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=10081

Nevtelen
05-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Considering they hype the had before last season with Stuckey and how that season worked out for them, I guess I'm not terribly surprised. Still, it's a really odd time of year to fire a coach. Who are they going to get as a replacement now? Most of the candidates have been snapped up already. Wierd timing.

CDC84
05-30-2007, 12:34 PM
They better hire a coach in the next month before the recruiting wars pick up big time in July........

BobZag
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Just who would be a candidate? Good question. The assistants weren't much. A high school coach? A Juco coach? What a mess.

kyle dixon
05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Possibly Cameron Dollar?

JLGutrocks
05-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Does eastern even have an AD yet? If not, who would do the hiring?

sittingon50
05-30-2007, 02:17 PM
I think dollar would be a great choice. Plus, it get's him a lot closer to Clarkston.

MDABE80
05-30-2007, 02:21 PM
EWU has no AD. The place is in shambles. I'm hearing the FB prgram is about to face some stern music as well. New President...........and he must be having nightmares. Poor guy.

VinnyZag
05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Any chance he might want his old job back?

Bocco
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
is on the Dennis Patchin show right now

zagmantis2001
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I liked Patchin when he did the play by play on the radio some years back. I used to turn off sound to the TV and listen instead of the crappy babble that seems to invade TV broadcasts.

But, I have to admit, Patchin is pretty grating on his radio show. He is too shrill and sound like he is standing at the back of a room and yelling everything. I guess that's his schtick now, but its a real turnoff.

EL MUSTACIO
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Vinny, no offense, but there is no way in hell that Giacoletti would or could take the GU job and in the same summer, leaves He would tarnish his reputation. IMO, Utah is in a better position as a basketall program than EWU. He'd be taking a step ddown.Yes, I say that Dollar would be the best candidate

mtzaga
05-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Just who would be a candidate? Good question. The assistants weren't much. A high school coach? A Juco coach? What a mess.

Bob...this is nothing compared to the situation at Montana State which fired head football coach Mike Kramer 10 days ago. The Bobcats' sad saga includes a federal meth dealing conviction a, statutory rape conviction, several pending charges of dealing marijuana and cocaine, and one charge of deliberate homicide, a potential capital case. Now, that is a mess.

applezag
05-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that Eastern would be a step down for a GU assistant, both in terms of status in the coaching ranks and pay.

Bocco
05-30-2007, 08:20 PM
The interim AD at Eastern indicated that Eastern would have a coach in place by the end of June, beginning of July. He also indicated that he felt there would be plenty of interest in the position by any number of qualified candidates.

My question is who would want to go to a place that is in such disarray that they dump a coach not at the end of the NCAA basketball season but one month before the July recruiting season?

Anyone they would get would either be a short timer and gone to new and bigger things, or someone who leads EWU to the bottom of the Big Sky and is gone in a few years.

This is not a good situation at all.

Bocco
05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that Eastern would be a step down for a GU assistant, both in terms of status in the coaching ranks and pay.

I can't see a GU assistant going to EWU. In fact with an interim AD who dumps a coach one month before the July recruiting season I find it hard to believe that many would be interested in the postion, and anyone that is interested is someone that plans to be there for 2-3 seasons and off to new and bigger places.

This situation cannot be good for the long term prospects of a successful program basketball at EWU.

mendiant
05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds like interim AD is in over his little head and is making BAD decisions...IMO.

Zag79
05-31-2007, 12:27 AM
IMO, Utah is in a better position as a basketall program than EWU. He'd be taking a step ddown.

I can't see a GU assistant going to EWU.

really???
;)

zagmantis2001
05-31-2007, 06:30 AM
The paper also mentioned some NCAA violations for the basketball program may be coming. The AD said it had nothing to do with the dismissal. Riiiight.

SWZag
05-31-2007, 07:23 AM

I do know Carl Howell (an assistant) was a great coach at the CC level at Tacoma CC. I would actually like to see him get a shot.