PDA

View Full Version : Monninghoff Update

CDC84
12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
He's now 10/15 from the 3 point line this season. 67%.

Whatever it takes, he needs more shots.

Ezag
12-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Agreed, he needs more minutes and shots. He could very well be our 4 or 5 best player right now

Gufan
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Agreed, but all the makes have been for the most part open set shots as a result of pretty poor defense. The teams that D'd us up completely took that away. And under duress he fades pretty bad. He won't see those open looks against any quality team unless he shows he can create his own shot. Something he hasn't shown yet. If meech, gray, harris, and sacre can do their jobs it will help open him up for those shots, but I would rather have them be the playmakers at this point. His shots will come if the others attack like they are capable of. And they will be looking for MM if his guy comes to help

gamagin
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM

if we rely on SG in the crunch vs the next three, we're going to see him double teamed coming out of the locker room until he gets back on the plane. So everyone open for a shot needs to shoot. and the better shooters, of which MM looks like one, need to work themselves into the open and teammates need to be looking for them.

CDC84
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I saw Monninghoff wide open in the corner waving his arms a few times during the Marquette and KSU games. Zags didn't even look for him. They need to look for him more. They need to run more plays for him if he's being guarded closely. Double screens....whatever it takes. I know the natural inclination is not to do that because he's not a veteran, but he has too few FG attempts when you consider how good of a shooter he is. Yes, some of that is because he needs to do a better job of creating his own offense, but he will learn that as he matures. He's only a freshman. Work with what he can give at this moment.

TheZagPhish
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Loved seeing him cut to the basket in the last game.

ZagLawGrad
12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Liking his game a lot so far. Pure shooter is my impression

mdZag23
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
to learn to move without the ball much better. He stands around way to much to get MORE shots.

Getting more shots isn't about guys passing to him. it's about him getting to areas where guys can find him and you do that by moving without the ball!

See AMMO for clarification!

kitzbuel
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Loved seeing him cut to the basket in the last game.
He was awfully athletic on one of those cuts. The pass was behind him and he still got it in.

DixieZag
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
If Ellias is unable to play, we are going to find out real quick if he can be effective against good teams.

I saw something beautiful last night, ironically, one of our non-bigs, big Mike Hart caught a pass in the middle and immediately passed it right out to Steven who was wide open and drained a three.

What I would give to see Rob and Kelly learn to do the same thing, catch, look, pass to SG/Hoff/Arop for open look.

It sure isn't on the tapes that Ill/WSU/ND are watching right now, be nice to see in the games.

RenoZag
12-01-2010, 07:19 PM

What it will take is Few giving him more playing time.

MickMick
12-01-2010, 07:22 PM
As I am not amused with making Ammo the butt of jokes and reinforcing a sad national image, I'll go ahead and stick up for him here. The difference between Ammo and MM, Downs, Arop, Kong, or any other wing since is:

Ammo arrived just as young (or younger) as all those following him and he could create his own shot from day one. Inexperience didn't phase him. No one left it on the floor like he did. He put his entire soul into winning. Maybe that is why he could create his own shot.

Having said that, I'm not so sure that MM can't create his own shot. Maybe he just hasn't tried much of it yet. Sure looked good in transition conversions a couple of times so he is at least more than a spot up shooter.

MDABE80
12-01-2010, 09:07 PM
MM plays good defense too. He's plenty athletic with decent feet. I do think he's got big opportunity right about now. FIne leaper with good hands.
AMong the best frosh I've seen in these depts.
SG and MM on the wings are pretty frightening. It does seem that kids like this have to wait in line to merit the go ahead in shooting. It's nonsense. Give this kid the ball and watch the scoreboard.

Mick gives a nice thought...MM has the tool to go create his own situations. We need good wings..and we have 3 good ones right now.

More worried about the bigs than I am the htree wings. Meech will hold his own and be serviceable. Right now, the bigs are scraping by. We need a new force. MM might be that kid. I hope so.

HillBillyZag
12-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree with you Doc , M & M , Sam , Manny seem to have the scoring touch , it's time to take them off the leash . If the guards start looking for the outlet pass we could be scoring more fast break points also. This team is unique in that we have a lot of great mix & match parts , but no glue to hold it together ? It could go either way ? Hopefully , by the time Conference play starts we will see significant improvement ? We can only watch and Cheer them on !