PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs will bring 7-foot, 260-pound tattooed tough guy Robert Sacre

ZagsGoZags
11-29-2010, 09:04 AM
This article by John Supinie sportswriter out of Champaign Illinois testifies to Big Rob's ever increasing reputation.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x812950255/Illini-basketball-concern-an-inside-job

Now all he has to do is prove them right

His is big enough
He wants to be tough enough

rijman
11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I keep waiting for Sacre to dominate a game offensively like Samhan did many times last season. Sacre stepping up on offense would help a lot. Maybe this is the week.

mdZag23
11-29-2010, 09:28 AM
he's got the body and the hands, he just doesn't have the footwork and positioning skills he needs to dominate a game like Samham.

He's constantly off balance which causes him to catch it in the wrong areas he needs to be to score. Center of gravity is too high as well and he loses a lot of explosiveness because of this.

Ezag
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
he's got the body and the hands, he just doesn't have the footwork and positioning skills he needs to dominate a game like Samham.

He's constantly off balance which causes him to catch it in the wrong areas he needs to be to score. Center of gravity is too high as well and he loses a lot of explosiveness because of this.

Samhan, love him or hate him as I and most others did, had great hands and a great feel for the basket. He could pour them in quick with a variety of moves which goes to show you don't have to be superfreak athletic to be a threat. Omar had post moves Sacre doesn't even know about yet.

ZagLawGrad
11-29-2010, 09:57 AM
RS has the potential to dominate, no doubt about it.

But potential versus actually doing it against the better teams are two different things.

So far, I'd say he's at best average despite the quality minutes he's had in big games since his arrival at GU. We need him to deliver in a big way if this team is to have a chance to take a deep run this season.

zagfan07
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
One improvment I've see this year is Rob's ability to stay out of foul trouble. It seemed like in just about every game last year Rob was in foul trouble in the first half, causing him to become passive on the defensive end. If he can stay on the floor and out of foul trouble, his numbers will see an increase as a result.

Zag4Hire
11-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I keep waiting for Sacre to dominate a game offensively like Samhan did many times last season. Sacre stepping up on offense would help a lot. Maybe this is the week.

Uhhh could we keep it in house please? I would say like Casey would be excellent. He definitely could have done quite a bit more but he had a good showing against K-State.

Drew
11-29-2010, 10:19 AM
In my book, Sacre is soft until he rips someone's head off and dunks it.

gamagin
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Ferdinand ?

MDABE80
11-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Exactly gamagin..exactly.
But to their credit, the news article got the "tatooed" part right.

ZagNative
11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Ferdinand ?You know I couldn't let this opportunity pass ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/Ferdinand.jpg

Lots of room there on the belly for some more tats.

wiszag
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Tisdale should be a handful, I've heard he improved quite a bit over the summer and he was exactly a slouch before.

zag buddy
11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I would like to see Rob have a two word vocabulary---shoot-pass. whichever word he chooses , do it quickly.

FlatheadZag
11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Pete Newell bigman camp next summer would really help Rob's game.

75Zag
11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Does Sacre get his Tats in Spokane? Is there a particular tatoo parlor that is favored by GU players? Did Bob and Angello get their tats at the same shop?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Go Bulldogs!

allnet59
11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I never see Robert making huge strides in his game as he just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that you wish he had. Same old moves since he's been a zag. No vertical for a seven footer and makes himself small ever time he brings the ball down around his waist. Teams double and triple team and with those weak hands way to many turnovers when he holds on to the ball to long deciding if he's going to take a wasted dribble. Never going to be in the NBA without some better skills period.

TwoCatsOne
11-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Those of you critical of Rob should recognize that in the last 3 games, he has performed quite effectively.
For the last 3 games - adjusted for 40 minutes, Rob is:

1st in Free-throw attempts
1st in Offensive rebounds
1st in Total rebounds
1st in Blocks
2nd in points

Admittedly he is 2nd worst in turnovers.
http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy273/TwoCatsOne/Stats.png?t=1291095528

MDABE80
11-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Well two if all this is true, let's keep him going for the next 29 games. ROb should be doing 20-10. We're all on his side when it comes to this type of production. But GU has been very very bad in blocks (he's kinda like the tallest midget in the bar), off rebounds (the same analogy). FT attempts don't count for much even though he's done well converting.

I m still wondering where ROb's leaping ability went. He's got quick feet laterally but something is slowing his vertical. Could be I just remember it wrong but I thought he could get up at one time.

AzZag
11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
"Even though Gonzaga doesn’t have the guards to match up with Illinois"

zagray
11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Footwork and more footwork. Plays with his feet to close together. Needs to widen his stance, step thru the double team and punch it home!

NEC26
11-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Well two if all this is true, let's keep him going for the next 29 games. ROb should be doing 20-10. We're all on his side when it comes to this type of production. But GU has been very very bad in blocks (he's kinda like the tallest midget in the bar), off rebounds (the same analogy). FT attempts don't count for much even though he's done well converting.

I m still wondering where ROb's leaping ability went. He's got quick feet laterally but something is slowing his vertical. Could be I just remember it wrong but I thought he could get up at one time.

Rob has never had great hops since he came here. He always has had to gather himself and then dunk.

MickMick
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Rob doesn't have to do a whole lot more to be what we expect. He is close.

Quicker decision making and then be more assertive once he makes that decision. With a tad more game time he can "get over the hump". He is only a moment of indecision away from being really good.

I think he gets there before the end of the OOC and beside Manny, has the most immediate prospects for quick improvement. Meech will likely take a little more time, but he is also one or two great confidence building games from "switching on the light bulb". At least from a scoring standpoint.

When Rob, Manny, and Meech turn the corner, we will see a much, much better team. I expect at least two of the three will get there soon.

75Zag
11-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Rob is a good player. He is never going to be a Kevin Love or Bill Walton, but all things considered Rob is a legitimate 7 foot presence in the low post with decent if not fantastic offensive skills and pretty good defensive skills. He is a great part of the GU program. I wish he had a consistent jump hook and could remember to always catch and shoot the ball without bringing it below his waist, but whatever.

Go Bulldogs! Win the BIS!

ZagsGoZags
11-30-2010, 03:24 PM
So what is the best pass to Bobbie? Most people on here say toss it in high. Bobbie Knight says knee level so Sacre is already crouched, cocked and ready to go up. If that was true, he needs to be able to think and move that quickly, but what I see is RS takes a moment to figure things out. But because he has a fairly good face up shot from 12' out, why not more bounce passes to his knees? He could learn to fake and take a shot from anywhere in the paint with his size.

What are Harris and Gray doing when they see Bobbie double and triple teamed? Since it would often be Harris's man that goes over to help make the double team, couldn't we do drills for RS to look for Harris instantly, and Harris looks to leap to the open spot?

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-30-2010, 05:45 PM
K.O. needs some tats. It would make him look and feel more like a tough guy on the low block. Then, we could have two seven-footers with lots of tats and 'tude.