PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get back to the Elite 8

RebornZag
05-29-2007, 09:02 PM
The thread on your favorite NCAA tournament game has inspired me to write this thread. What is it going to take for the Zags to get back to the Elite 8 because every time we try, we seem to fizzle out in the Round of 16. As I look back at the '99 team they had something special that no team since has had. They played better for one thing. They made shots when they had to, and made stops when they had to. What do you think it will take to get back there, and possibly to the final 4....Something must be missing. What is it?

I will give my response later.

zagster318
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
A strong desire to play lock-down perimeter defense. It's cliche, but defense wins championships. The reason it's a cliche is because it's true.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Relatively free of injuries and stay out of trouble. If both objectives are met, EE is almost a given. This team has everything and lacks nothing. This is the best GU team ever. IF is the key word. I write this without a hint of facitiousness or irony.

pbriz
05-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't think a few injuries would prevent an EE run because we are so deep next year unless it was josh, bouldin, pargo, or micah and it was serious. Team chemistry will be huge as well as perimeter defense. The confidence will be there with more experienced players as well as the scoring. Looks as if we will control the boards with josh, sacre, theo, and kuso.

How do most upsets occur? the 3 point shot is falling for the underdog. We lock down on the perimeter and we will be there

MickMick
05-30-2007, 12:16 AM
If you have the goods to be a legit top twenty team then:

1) who you draw
2) where you draw
3) luck

The margin between a 1 - 10 seed making or not making the elite eight is very slim. It then becomes a question of matchups.

Zag79
05-30-2007, 01:20 AM
chemistry. that team had better chemistry, with all the pieces to the puzzle fitting when called upon. mo and jp made up a great zags team, but reality told you the team wasnt having fun watching a one man show. also when it came time to step up the guys had gotten stuck doing too much watching to contribute on a whim. too much of one guy hasnt been getting us there. even my fav danny couldnt do it. the TEAM will take us back there. that is one thing last years team had, and i know the next season will too.

saintzag
05-30-2007, 04:47 AM
We have the talent. We need the other two t's-teamwork and toughness.

RebornZag
05-30-2007, 05:45 AM
I like your 3 T's SaintZag: "We have the talent. We need the other two t's-teamwork and toughness." I agree!!!

How about the 3 L's. Leadership, Laughter & Luck!!!

The Leadership of Santangelo and Frahm. The laughter of Quintin Hall, and the Luck of the Zags!!!

J-Mac Zag Forever
05-30-2007, 06:57 AM
What it's going to take is what we got. The ? is what is it going to take to make it to the F4. Let me answer that. Just a bit of luck and a little more experience. If we were talking a yard stick I would say inches.

zagster318
05-30-2007, 08:08 AM
I like your 3 T's SaintZag: "We have the talent. We need the other two t's-teamwork and toughness." I agree!!!

How about the 3 L's. Leadership, Laughter & Luck!!!

The Leadership of Santangelo and Frahm. The laughter of Quintin Hall, and the Luck of the Zags!!!

"We have the tools, we have the talent."-Winston Zeddmore from Ghostbusters

Forgive my moment of nostalgia. lol.:o

sonuvazag
05-30-2007, 08:53 AM
There's a, um tradition in tournament play- not talk about the next step until you've climbed the one in front of you. I'm sure going to the state finals is beyond your wildest dreams, so let's just keep it right there

Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important that the other.
All from Hoosiers

BobZag
05-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Everything mentioned above, yes, but think about it--

1999: If Casey's putback bounces out, there's no EE.
2003: If Blake hits the 10-foot bank shot, Zags meet Notre Dame in SS to earn EE berth.
2005: If Ronny simply makes 70% FTs, Zags beat TTU to meet WVU in SS to earn EE berth.
2006: If Zags don't puke it up to UCLA, it's another EE.

It's a game of inches. Some year, as the talent level rises, GU will make it.

UberZagFan
05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
What will it take to get back to the Elite 8?

3 wins in the same NCAA tourney.

Sometimes the answer is just oh so obvious.

a13coach
05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
3 wins in the same NCAA tourney.

Sometimes the answer is just oh so obvious.

Now you are just daring people to give you neg. rep.

UberZagFan
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Now you are just daring people to give you neg. rep.

And why's that? Because I'm the only one that gave the correct answer? :D :D :D

(but feel free to neg rep Uber all you wish!)

a13coach
05-30-2007, 10:00 AM
And why's that? Because I'm the only one that gave the correct answer? :D :D :D

(but feel free to neg rep Uber all you wish!)

Yes I am all for that.
Hey everyone Uber's responses are smarmy so give him neg rep.

(Hey I'm trying to help ya man.)

Bocco
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Everything mentioned above, yes, but think about it--

1999: If Casey's putback bounces out, there's no EE.
2003: If Blake hits the 10-foot bank shot, Zags meet Notre Dame in SS to earn EE berth.
2005: If Ronny simply makes 70% FTs, Zags beat TTU to meet WVU in SS to earn EE berth.

It's a game of inches. Some year, as the talent level rises, GU will make it.

The right bounce, a little luck, the right matchups. I have no dout that we have the core players that can put us in the EE over the next few years, and probably a FF......or two.

Zag79
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
:mad: :( :mad:
thanks for reminding me BZ....
;)

RebornZag
05-31-2007, 06:09 AM
I've been thinking about this a little more, and i think one thing that I could add to the above conversation is CHEMISTRY. I do believe that we have outstanding talent next year. Few said it's going to be the most talented team he's had. I agree with our coach. The keys will be how they play together, how well they accept their roles and how badly they want to make it to the EE. I think I great question is always, "How much are they willing to sacrifice?"

gonzagulous
05-31-2007, 08:56 AM
I think that in order to make an elite 8 run next year we will need somebody to become a go-to guy in the low post. Granted we won't have another Batista (maybe ever), but even if Heyvelt can learn to bang around a bit and develop a couple more moves, we could possibly have that presence that we were so sorely lacking last year.

Also agree on our Achilles heel, perimeter defense, and I am very interested to see what happens in that regard with Ray G on board. Imagine how freaking awesome it would be to not see our defense giving up open threes to every team we face. Wow. It would be like going into the doctor and finding out your brain tumor magically disappeared since your last checkup.

Please Ray G! Save us from the deathly scourge of porous perimeter defense! Give up a layup now and then! We don't care!

RebornZag
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
gonzagulous: Did you see BobZ's posts on Theo Davis and the other big guys. It is very promissing stuff. I think you are right about the need for much more out of the #5 position. And especially in the low post. Kuso I don't think has the hands for the position. I think Sacre and Will are going to be very good in there too. Things are looking up in the low post.