PDA

View Full Version : I think the ship has steadied

Reborn
11-28-2010, 08:05 AM
The Marquette victory was huge for the Zags. It is the foundation for rebuilding. Marquette was a good, tough team. and the Zags finally had an answer that brought victory. The pieces of the puzzle are finally fitting together.

In the Marquette victory we saw Harris begin to return to form. He's not anywhere near where he will be, but he is finding his old self. It won't be too long and he will be hitting those 3 pointers he has been missing. He's getting tougher on the boards and will continue to do so.

And finally, I think Arop is finding himself and his role on this team. If he can continue to play the way he did against Marquette then he will certainly be a factor this year, just as we had envisioned that he would be.

Meech is progressing, and learning a lot in the early part of this season. He will keep improving too. I am really beginning to like HIs toughness. He has really been hitting the boards for a point guard. And he is now getting the experience of playing against some of the best pointguards in the country.

Im not sure what Few is going to do about Monninghoff. He has looked good at times, but it was against much weaker opponents. He did not impress me at all in the two games we just had...I think he may end up coming off the bench to give Arop some rest, and I think Few begins to play Manny Arop more.

Our frontcourt has not turned out to be what Few and all us thought it would be. I think they have been a huge disappointment, and I sure hope they can become the frontcourt we thought we had. Sacre is a huge disappointment. He is stuck where he was in the middle of last season. He is just way too slow in his ability to make decisions insantly on the court. His bad habits continue. He needs to quit avoiding contact down low and go up strong and hard to the basket. For some reason he seems to be running away from contact....I hope the staff can figure out a way to get him tougher. I think Daniels can figure that out. I think Olynyk is coming along slowly, but I think he's improving.

This is a much younger and more inexperienced team than most of us thought. It's taking time for these guys to adjust to Matt Bouldin being gone and to the new players. I now see what Few saw all along, Matt's departure left a huge hole to fill. And more than missing his scoring, we miss his passing and knowledge of how to play the game. He did have very high basketball IQ. I think, that more than anything this team needs to learn how to pass, and how to get the ball to open people, and stop playing so much one on one. One on one basketball is good, but it MUST include passing the ball to the open person when the players are double teamed, and in some instances tripple teamed.

This team is going to be so much fun to watch because it is in a very early development stage and they are learning a lot. They may takes some more lumps but will continue to learn and get better. I am excited to watch this team grow. As Harris improves we're going to see a much better Gonzaga team. And as Arop begings to find himself, we still have a very good chance of becoming a very special Zag team.

zagfan24
11-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Nice post Reborn. Though it was just one game, you make a lot of good points about what the Zags can and hopefully will generalize from a tough victory over a good Marquette team.

At the beginning of this season I thought of this team as having four returning starters...and have since realized that this didn't remotely tell the story. For one, we lost our playmaker and leader, and both Steven and Meech have been asked to help fill the void left by Bouldin. They will each do this in their own way, and it will take time...but I sincerely believe it can happen.

Furthermore, we had some players active over the summer but playing with other teammates, for other coaches, and in other systems...and it takes time to readjust. We also have Elias switching positions, Manny and Kelly facing increased roles, and the addition of several new players -- some of whom are dealing with the concurrent and incredibly tough challenge of attending college in a new country.

The Zags also lost a wonderful coach, and though Donny Daniels is exceptional and overqualified if anything, it still is a change and an adjustment. All of this without mentioning the several player departures...once again not inherently a bad thing but something that limits the stability of team early in the season. We are short on veterans off the bench, and this has shown at times.

In my opinion, this team has the chance to grow a lot over this season and that will be fun and exciting to watch given the patience to do so. It was just easy for me, and perhaps for others, to lose sight of how much had changed since last season because so many of the faces were the same.

Reborn
11-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Nice post Zagfan24. Some good insights. Thanks!

Tmac5360
11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Reborn, I like your post but I do wonder what exactly are the zags rebuilding from? Is 2 early loses with a young group really grounds for "rebuilding"? I just think it's really early to say the frontcourt is a major disappointment. Again I am not just trying to argue with you but I would like to give these guys a chance to come together a little and figure it out before I make any judgments about them. When you look at Hoff for example, he probably doesn't even really know where he is supposed to be half of the time. As he becomes more comfortable with the offense then maybe he looks better? I'm not saying he will but we have to give these guys time. Your right about one thing for sure, there are probably more lumps to come. But that is ok! It's going to make this team better at the end of the day.

HOOTER
11-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I think we're doomed! :eek:

75Zag
11-28-2010, 04:14 PM
The Titanic steadied, just as it settled into the mud on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Go Bulldogs!

mee755
11-28-2010, 04:16 PM
The Titanic steadied, just as it settled into the mud on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Go Bulldogs!

Nicely stated. I figured the ship had just sailed. Lost at sea.

ZagLawGrad
11-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Let's revisit this topic after January 1. Hope the Zags are headed in the right direction, but some formidable opponents still lie ahead.

Reborn
11-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Reborn, I like your post but I do wonder what exactly are the zags rebuilding from? Is 2 early loses with a young group really grounds for "rebuilding"? I just think it's really early to say the frontcourt is a major disappointment. Again I am not just trying to argue with you but I would like to give these guys a chance to come together a little and figure it out before I make any judgments about them. When you look at Hoff for example, he probably doesn't even really know where he is supposed to be half of the time. As he becomes more comfortable with the offense then maybe he looks better? I'm not saying he will but we have to give these guys time. Your right about one thing for sure, there are probably more lumps to come. But that is ok! It's going to make this team better at the end of the day.

I just made those statements about the frontcourt because Few
felt the frontcourt was ahead of the backcourt early in the season, and I kind of thought they might be. You are right though about it being early in the season. I am sure they will imporve.

I do not think its too early to tell whether the team is beginning to gel more and play better. I may be in the minority but I was impressed with their win over Marquette. Harris and Arop are clearly getting better. I do not believe the improvement they showed against Marquette was a one game fluke and now they will return to sub par play. No. I believe they will only get better each game. I'm not in the group that said this is a final 4 team. I felt it would be a good season to make the Sweet 16, and I still believe that, and yes they will need to improve considerably to make it that far. I still think they will.