PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for sticky.

ronh_pm
11-27-2010, 10:34 AM
In all seriousness I would like to request a sticky for the posters that like to turn every thread relating to the actual play of the Zags, or the recruitment of the Zags or the play of Zags of the past into a Meech bashing thread.

It does not matter if the thread is about Robs hook shot it comes down to Meechs passes into the paint. It does not matter who is committing turnovers it is Meechs fault for the pass. It does not matter that they are averaging 81 points, it is Meechs fault that the offense sucks. It does not matter that the coach feels he is the best guard suited to run the offense, they know better.

For the sake of us that hate seeing thread after thread hijacked away from the original topic and into hatefest on Meech, can we please give the bashers somewhere to hang out together.

It is amazing how many threads, Meech's name pops up in, usually not in a complimentry way. Can we not give him a sticky?

Seriously.

ronh_pm
11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Bleh..just grumpy and frustrated...mods please delete.

Angelo Roncalli
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
You forgot to mention that Meech is also responsible for the foreclosure mess, the delay in the downtown Second Avenue paving project, and South Korea's recent saber rattling.

That said, I'll take 9 rebounds from the PG any day...

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I'll hijack this thread and turn it into a Meech praising thread.

The kid is the best point guard we have.

He plays very hard.

He is an excellent athlete.

He is an excellent defender.

He has been a very good model of sportsmanship throughout his time at Gonzaga.

He has improved a lot over this past off-season which indicates to me that he worked very hard to improve.

Please feel free to add to the list.

ZagNative
11-27-2010, 12:03 PM
You forgot to mention that Meech is also responsible for the foreclosure mess, the delay in the downtown Second Avenue paving project, and South Korea's recent saber rattling.

That said, I'll take 9 rebounds from the PG any day...:000tens:

I share your frustration, ronh_pm. Boring, boring, boring.

U Zig, I Zag
11-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I'll hijack this thread and turn it into a Meech praising thread.

The kid is the best point guard we have.

He plays very hard.

He is an excellent athlete.

He is an excellent defender.

He has been a very good model of sportsmanship throughout his time at Gonzaga.

He has improved a lot over this past off-season which indicates to me that he worked very hard to improve.

Please feel free to add to the list.

I agree. He never stops hustling, that's for sure. Also, if/when he gets yanked he doesn't seem to pout about it, he cheers on whomever else is in there, he jumps off the bench when there is a big shot, etc. Good teammate, I reckon.

I will say this though, isn't it kind of scary that our PG got 9 rebounds? Just a little bit? And that's NOT a knock on Meech... maybe we should be concerned with who's NOT getting rebounds.

titopoet
11-27-2010, 01:07 PM
ckon.

I will say this though, isn't it kind of scary that our PG got 9 rebounds? Just a little bit? And that's NOT a knock on Meech... maybe we should be concerned with who's NOT getting rebounds.

Not really, the zone goaded Marquette into trying to shoot it down. It ended up with a lot of long rebounds. You want your guards to rebound the long shots like that. Sacre and Harris got the short ones and Meech and Gray the long ones, and in a game were most of the opponent took long jump shots, the guards have to go after the ball. Probably will be the same with EWU coming up. I maybe wrong, but I can't imagine EWU will attack GU's inside, which leaves long jumpshots, which means long rebounds in general.

HOOTER
11-27-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Meech's fault I'm out of beer. I think he snuck into my house and drank it all, and while he was here he took my Zags cap because I can't find it anywhere. :(

VinnyZag
11-27-2010, 01:57 PM

That said, I'll take 9 rebounds from the PG any day...
Meech was on the grassy knoll.

Bogozags
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I have some serious issues with Meech:

1. He looks to pass before taking shots. How is he going to score in double digits if he doesn't shoot more? I mean he just plays unselfishly and that doesn't bode well in our system.

2. He pushes the ball and forces his teammates to play uptempo! I mean, what is he trying to do? Get the ball down the court before the defense can setup!

3. He is shooting a higher percentage from from the charity stripe, which means there are less opportunities for us to get offensive rebounds!

4. His A to TOs is decent too! I mean he is making passes into the post, which will afford Sacre, KO, SD and EH more opportunities to shoot! He didn't do this so well last year and it was just easier to criticize him, making this task a lot harder.

5. When he is on the bench, he cheers each time we do something well and consoles when we don't make the right play. It's almost like he is trying to be a leader and we just can't have that either. If he is a leader, then before you know it, his teammates will begin to follow his example and then where will we be???!!!

I mean, we gotta get rid of him and fast. This is just starting to irritate me to no end. From reading the many, many posts/threads on Meech, it is easy to see that there are so many who just have better skills and understand Bball more than Meech, so I know it will be so easy to find a replacement. Meech has to go and right away, before he can have more of an impact on this team. There has to be some way to convince Coach Few that Meech has to go and NOW!

gamagin
11-27-2010, 03:01 PM
You forgot to mention that Meech is also responsible for the foreclosure mess, the delay in the downtown Second Avenue paving project, and South Korea's recent saber rattling. That said, I'll take 9 rebounds from the PG any day...

keep moving . . .

Bulldog
11-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanksgiving. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
I am thankful for threads that don't involve meech bashing.

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Teams with poor play at PG look uncoached and disorganized or selfish.
They don't spread the floor well, they don't pass the ball well, there is a helter skelter approach to the game. Just look at Seattle U which has a PG with twice as many TOs as assists who dribbles the ball high enough for a proficient jax player to steal. That wild approach affects everyone on the floor. The team plays in total disarray.
Meech is a better PG than Burrell at SU but the disarray starts when he lapses into a frozen cluelessness after crossing the ten second stripe. While Meech is not helter skelter like Burrell his impact on offense is to create a sense of total inertia. His negative impact on the team frequently goes under the radar because he doesn't commit many turnovers. In other words, he doesn't hurt much, but he doesn't help much either.
This hasn't been deliberate bashing, just calling it like it is. The point guard is the nerve center of the team.
Look at what happens synergistically when the offense looks frozen.
Steven makes ill advised passes and takes ill advised shots. Elias gets jumpy and sees a clock winding down so he feels a need to put it up with little hesitation. RS loses his concentration and should a surprise pass find him in the key he's likely to bobble it. Both Kelly and Manny become little boys lost.
It isn't a good situation. Let's hope we can work through this.
One way to break the logjam is for Few to dictate that Meech must put the ball up a minimum of ten times a game, come what may even if it's early in the set.

Posterchild???