Does anybody else wish Rob would shoot more?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gum797
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2007

Does anybody else wish Rob would shoot more?

I am not saying quantity, I am talking about an actual turnaround shot. Last year he went to the turnaround more often and I actually dont know if I have seen him do it yet this year. I like jump hooks from big guys, but it feels like he is going to that too much this year. Obviously he is uncomfortable going over his right shoulder to shoot a left handed jump hook, so I think he needs to go back to the turnaround to give him another weapon. Of course, it would help if teams dont constantly run two or three guys at him all the time, but that goes back to passing which has already been discussed in great detail here.
  • U Zig, I Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

He is very one dimensional on the offensive end it seems. He has a nice FT shot and he is tall enough that anything in that radius from the FT line in is a viable shot. I am not sure if he devloped late or came to basketball later in his youth but he doesn't seem to have steady hands, the up and unders, etc that you associate with players that have been playing down low their entire basketball careers.

His D is good, he is playing smarter and playing more straight up - and if he does foul he seems to know to make it count (aka, shooter regrets going up against Rob). Out of the key his D is tremendous (although unnecessary, still not sure why Few has him bodying guys 25ft from the hoop).

Fading away is for the short guys and Kobe/Jordan/James that do it because they can, but Rob lacks any sort of quick hopping ability - it might be something he could use. If he had some sort of move to make room he could square up and fade away slightly to keep the defenders from getting a hand on it (which happens a lot already, considering he is 7 feet). If he was able to get that room and make that type of shot consistently the left/right of it wouldn't matter as much because he would be shooting his conventional (good form, really) high above the head shot with both hands.

But there is the little problem of him almost being a liability with more than one person on him... we seem to get it down low way too often with 2 sometimes 3 guys right there, ready to reach in an grab it.

Comment

• gum797
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2007

Just a quick clarification...when I say turnaround, I do not mean a fade away. He is 7 feet tall so he can easily get by with just a turn around and no fade. All he has to do, like he did at times last year, is use his body to get the defender off balance and turnaround and shoot it

Comment

• bballbeachbum
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gum797 View Post
        Just a quick clarification...when I say turnaround, I do not mean a fade away. He is 7 feet tall so he can easily get by with just a turn around and no fade. All he has to do, like he did at times last year, is use his body to get the defender off balance and turnaround and shoot it
        yes, he's shown he can do it, and vs. Marquette you could see the D figured out his jump hook and got hands on the ball before Rob could initiate a shot, a la Karl Malone post D back in the day.

Rob's playing hard out there (6 Oboards vs. Marquette for example), but at this point of the season, he seems to fatigue a bit late. anyone else notice this?

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by gum797 View Post
          He gets shots blocked, Kelly does too... more so than you would think from 7 footers. I think falling back/fading with good arch is probably effective if someone is right on him. Rob nor Kelly get up with any quickness. A soft, high arch shot is probably best, gives our other players a chance to make a play on it if there is a miss. I am not talking 45 degree, playground style fade aways, but just a slight kick back to give themselves room to get a consistently formed shot off. Rob's jump hook can be effective, beginning of last year showed that, but I don't know if it's weight gain, a change in the coaching aspect or what, but he doesn't go at that a bunch and he has yet to learn to go the other way with it.

Comment

• zag buddy
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

I wish he would shoot quicker.

Comment

• FuManShoes
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I wish he would just make the bunnies he's already taking. The guy has plenty of shots right at the rim and just needs to finish stronger and faster.
              “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
                This. The other areas of improvement are just gravy at this point.

Why the hesitation? I can't count how many times his defender is sealed, his right shoulder to the hoop is open, yet he stops to dribble to his left or allow the help side to slide over and block him. His brute strength enables him to get superior position on just about anybody in the country, yet his lack of quick post moves and being able to go both directions stunts his ability to take his game to the next level or play at the next level.

The kid still needs some serious work on his offensive game---another season & more coaching will help tremendously. Remember, Rob has only been around Coach Daniels since October. He was traveling the World with Team Canada when Coach D first arrived in Spokane. A season of film, off-season workouts, and spending time one-on-one with Donny will work wonders, imo.

Rob will still be our starting Centre in 2011.
                “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
                  Why the hesitation? I can't count how many times his defender is sealed, his right shoulder to the hoop is open, yet he stops to dribble to his left or allow the help side to slide over and block him. His brute strength enables him to get superior position on just about anybody in the country, yet his lack of quick post moves and being able to go both directions stunts his ability to take his game to the next level or play at the next level.
                  I don't know how many times I've yelled (pleaded?) at the TV for him to just catch the ball, turn over his right shoulder, and bank it from 3 feet away with his left hand. I don't even classify this as "move." Please just catch, turn, and shoot, big man!

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Gum...if this might answer your qustion....Rob's very limited in his repertoire right now. He needs to perfect his short shots and dunks. He needs to work more on his version of a sky hook. He does get blcoked in a face up situaton primarily to his limited leaping.
                    I like his hook...not his quickness underneath..if he can put the ball up quickly he'll pour lots of point in.
                    He has lots of work to do. Midrange isn't used much but he's fairly accurate and because few expect him to be in the 10-12 foot range, he's usually open.

If he can cure those problems, he'll be a ver good center this and next year. Unless he becomes a better leaper though, he's limited at the next level. He's all muscle..maybe he could remain so but lose 10 lbs so he gets off his feet a bit better. Help his rebounding too.

Big likeable kid we'd like to see excell. He can do much better with some focused work. Daniels should be on him like a big dog. Rob's got it in him...his foot seems healthy..he should do very well with some work.

Comment

• MickMick
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
                      This

Lose the wind up and make yourself bigger. Reference the Bobby Knight quote for more detailed info.

I love him in the game as a defensive presence, a rebounder, an experienced center, and a team leader that exudes toughness. I do want him to shoot the ball. I like him better at the foul stripe so he has to take his share of shots. I just don't want him to be the centerpiece of an offense with respect to taking a large percentage of the shots. He fixes the wind up and I'll change my mind.

In all honesty, I believe the team ceiling will raise a notch if Meech took more shots and Rob kept his attempts at the current pace.

What would I like to see more of from Rob?
                      Assists. No more lazy tosses Rob. Get the ball out quickly. Put some "umph" in it.
                      It is called "inside/out" and an offensive philosophy that Mark Few himself has described as desireable.

Meech and Steven will be wide open when the gang swarms in on Rob. He has to make a choice. Go up quickly for the shot or draw the swarm and quickly get the ball out just before they arrive to disrupt his passing lane.

Do not draw the swarm and then take the shot. Something I see too much of to believe he should be taking more shots.

Do not allow the swarm to trap you before you can get the ball back out to the perimeter.

If the Swarm has overtaken Rob:

Do take advantage of your height by holding the ball high and away from all of those quick little hands. Teammates can help a lot by getting the ball to him high so that he doesn't have to waste the motion of getting the ball up and away from those dangerous, quick hands. In Rob's specific case, I believe this is very important. Once Rob has the ball high, never bring it back down into danger again. This includes dribbling.

Good offense comes from causing the defense to move in a predictable direction. The Swarm towards Rob is predictable and the Zags can make teams pay for it.
                      Last edited by MickMick; 11-27-2010, 11:14 PM.
                      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• RockandRollJames
                        Kennel Club
                        • Feb 2010

Rob is playing better than almost anyone on our team right now. I am very pleased with his play. My only complaint is his TOs. He loses the ball when he brings it down and gets doubled down. Not a good passer.

Other than that, he plays tough and with passion. That is all I can ask of our guys. He's been an emotional leader. He'll get those hustle rebounds, along with "regular" rebounds, and has been playing good defense. I'm super impressed with his free throw shooting and him getting to the line has been a big weapon.

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Rob's problem is definitely not a lack of "limited repertoire." Nor is it that he isn't getting enough shots, or more importantly touches. I think he is getting the second most "touches" and is ahead of Harris in touches. Rob is not finishing the way he should, and he does not know how to handle double and triple teams yet. What concerns me is that Rob has been working on these same problems for over a year now, and has not shown a lot of improvement, imo. I am glad to see his FT shooting improving, and I think his rebounding and defense too. I do not know how he will break his bad habit of bringing the ball down to his waist and head faking 2-3 times and traveling. I think Bob Knight hit the nail on the head, as he did in other areas of the team, Rob is making himself smaller. Insiteful I think.
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                            If the Swarm has overtaken Rob:

Do take advantage of your height by holding the ball high and away from all of those quick little hands. Teammates can help a lot by getting the ball to him high so that he doesn't have to waste the motion of getting the ball up and away from those dangerous, quick hands. In Rob's specific case, I believe this is very important. Once Rob has the ball high, never bring it back down into danger again. This includes dribbling.

Good offense comes from causing the defense to move in a predictable direction. The Swarm towards Rob is predictable and the Zags can make teams pay for it.
                            and pivot to move, big and strong with the ball high, see the floor better hopefully...strong with the ball, the old squeeze the pumpkin, because they are coming and maybe hacking but whatever; they know the same things we do

good points on going quicker, being bigger. have to search out the Knight comments online. hope to see Rob show more faith he's won the shot opportunity when he's won the shot opportunity, and JPtheBeasta it

I like Rob's passion

Comment

• gum797
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                              Gum...if this might answer your qustion....Rob's very limited in his repertoire right now. He needs to perfect his short shots and dunks. He needs to work more on his version of a sky hook. He does get blcoked in a face up situaton primarily to his limited leaping.
                              I like his hook...not his quickness underneath..if he can put the ball up quickly he'll pour lots of point in.
                              He has lots of work to do. Midrange isn't used much but he's fairly accurate and because few expect him to be in the 10-12 foot range, he's usually open.

If he can cure those problems, he'll be a ver good center this and next year. Unless he becomes a better leaper though, he's limited at the next level. He's all muscle..maybe he could remain so but lose 10 lbs so he gets off his feet a bit better. Help his rebounding too.

Big likeable kid we'd like to see excell. He can do much better with some focused work. Daniels should be on him like a big dog. Rob's got it in him...his foot seems healthy..he should do very well with some work.
                              I dont agree about the weight. Either your a quick jumper or not. For example, as Calvary gained muscle he continued to jump easy. Another example is Shaq. As he gained weight (not muscle) he was still able to jump quickly. Its all genetics. I also think it is unrealistic that he adds a sky hook as the only player to really ever perfect it was Kareem

Comment

Working...
                              X