PDA

View Full Version : Hyland status?

Zag 77
11-25-2010, 01:18 PM
What is the word on whether he is "officially" redshirting? I have seen no announcement. Last thing I heard, he was sitting due to a concussion?

What is known?

zagfan08
11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Haven't heard. I expect him to redshirt and then transfer back closer to Maine at the end of the year. Some small D1 places over there where he could play more and fit in better. Don't see a lot of minutes here for him now or in the future.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Haven't heard. I expect him to redshirt and then transfer back closer to Maine at the end of the year. Some small D1 places over there where he could play more and fit in better. Don't see a lot of minutes here for him now or in the future.

Were you disappointed with his performances in all those games he's played thus far?

Maybe let's see what the kid can do before assessing his future .

Pleasant Peninsula
11-25-2010, 03:01 PM
What's wrong with fans speculating, Cal?

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-25-2010, 04:19 PM
There's nothing inherently wrong with speculation, but it rubs me the wrong way when predictions are made that a player isn't good enough to see minutes at GU when he hasn't even played in an official game. Shouldn't we give the kid the benefit of the doubt? After all, he moved across the country, leaving behind family and friends, to play for the team we love; at the very least, that deserves our respect and is reason enough to not to assume the worst about his future at GU.

MDABE80
11-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Transfer? We've hardly seen him yet. It's just a silly thing to say. Let's see how he does first. I hope he's recovered nicely from last years injury.
I'd like to see a lot more before we have any talk about him leaving. Nobody but nobody has a guaranteed spot. Usually the best kid gets the job. Let's see him before there's any talk about him possibly playing elsewhere.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-25-2010, 06:00 PM
The staff recruited him because he had a reputation as a great three point shooter. This team needs that type of player. I hope that he recovers and proves to be exactly what the team needs for that niche. Give the kid a chance to prove himself. The coaching staff saw something in him that prompted them to offer him a scholarship at a time when they were looking to land some other very good guards for the class behind him.

As for his abilty to just transfer back to a school in New England, he might not have that many schools to pick from. There are surprisingly few Div I programs in Northern New England. I'm aware of four: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Dartmouth. There are a few more the Boston metro area, but there aren't that many considering the population of New England. His ability to transfer back to a New England Division I program may not be as automatic as you might think.

webspinnre
11-25-2010, 06:14 PM
What's wrong with fans speculating, Cal?

Nothing wrong, unless its completely baseless. We have no idea how good Hyland is at this point, and to start tossing out transfer talk at this time is extremely premature.

VaBeachZAG
11-26-2010, 05:45 AM
I am home now nursing my scrapes and bruises from "Black Friday Mall Wars," so I am feeling a little testy at the moment and will just say that any talk at this point of Hyland transfering out is plain unadulterated rubish!

ridgebackzag
11-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Hyland is known for his catch-and-shoot. He'll be a role player at GU, nothing more or less. I'll be willingly surprised if he surpasses my expectations. Nonetheless, I hope he thoroughly enjoys his year(s) at GU in Spokane.

GoBulldogs
11-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Speculating on who will have to transfer is actually pretty reasonable, because given Elias' play to this point(obviously he could turn it around and I hope he does), he isn't leaving for the NBA this year and we will have one scholarship too many.

VaBeachZAG
11-26-2010, 08:54 AM
There are those on this board who are "on the inside," I am not. But reading the lines (and between them) on this board I am under the impression Harris is gone after this year, regardless, whether its a seven figure income in the NBA, or in Europe and I believe the coaches doled out scholarships this year with that understanding. Personally, I think Harris is starting to come around and will prove by season-end that he deserves a shot at the NBA. I absolutely hate to see players leave early and would love to have Harris 1-2 mores year, but I just don't see it happening.

ridgebackzag
11-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Whether he leaves for the NBA or not, it's all speculation, one of the reasons this board exists.

zagfan08
11-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Some of you can't take the truth. We miss on recruits and they don't fit well here. Look at last year, FOUR guys left our program. Hyland was recruited by Vermont, Rhode Island, William and Mary, Maine, and Fordham before Gonzaga swooped in since we desperately needed a shooter. I don't think you need me to tell you which of the above doesn't fit with the rest.

Most kids would rather play than sit at the end of a bench 3,000+ miles away from home. That's why I guessed he would look to transfer. I've seen him play more than the average person here, and my guess is he leaves. It's worth nothing, just a guess on a message board.

alldaye
11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
ok why do all of you guys think you know what your talking about when its pretty aparent none of you have even watched a zags game in your life!