PDA

View Full Version : Pick your favorite GU NCAA tourney game!

lothar98zag
05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
(more killing time during the offseason)

This poll is a follow up to some polls I ran about 2 months ago where voters picked their favorite GU tourney game by round. This poll lists the winners of those 4 polls.

The winner of this poll will be the "Officially Unofficial GU Board Favorite GU NCAA Tourney Game!"

And feel free to add your comments about anything related to any of these games and please add your arguments for or against the choices. (try to influence the votes!)

For reference, here are links to the 4 previous polls:

1st round games (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2258)
2nd round games (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2259)
Sweet 16 games (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2261)
Elite 8 game(s) (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2262)

Vote wisely and may the best game win.

lothar98zag
05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
btw, my thoughts on this poll are:

1) the further into the tourney, the better

&

2) a win is better than a loss

So therefore, my votes goes to the sw16 win over the Gators.

And even if my personal 4 best by round were in this poll I'm 100% sure I'd vote the same.

MickMick
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
As a fan, the Arizona game was the most memorable game. In my opinion, the game that seperated the Zags from the rest of the mid major pack. Arizona was highly regarded and the epic battle brought a whole new level of respect to the program. The double (or was it triple?) OT thriller is the type of game that creates fans outside the region. Was great for the Gonzaga program as more than one Arizona fan has called it one of the best Wildcat games of all time.

webspinnre
05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I was at the AZ game, so that's got to be it for me. I remember being completely hoarse, and for the last two OTs, my body was literally trembling there was so much adrenaline running through me.

GonzagaGurl08
05-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Gotta give props to Casey Calvary for that tip-in that sent us to the Elite 8. My vote goes to the 1999 Sweet 16 game vs. the Gators.

lothar98zag
05-29-2007, 12:40 PM
If any of these 4 games was erased from GU's history books, which one would I miss the most?

EASY - the win over Florida. W/o it GU would have never reached the Elite 8. And then in this poll we'd be picking between a 1st round win, a 2nd round loss, and a sw16 loss - not very exciting IMHO.

In addition it wasn't a boring win, it was a well played game throughout, came down to the last seconds, & GU WON.

ZagNative
05-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Got to be that Arizona game. Scenes from that game are as fresh in my memory today as they were the next day, and as MickMick said, it's a game Arizona fans still rank as one of the greatest they played in, as quoted in this article from my previous post on another thread:

It's Arizona! (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=20591&highlight=arizona+greatest#post20591)

Shanachie
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Got to be that Arizona game. Scenes from that game are as fresh in my memory today as they were the next day, and as MickMick said, it's a game Arizona fans still rank as one of the greatest they played in, as quoted in this article from my previous post on another thread:

It's Arizona! (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=20591&highlight=arizona+greatest#post20591)

Since the category is "favorite" rather than "best", I couldn't disagree more. That was the most utterly draining, disappointing game I've ever been to. Couldn't even stand to watch the next game.

This is an easy one for me - Florida.

Bocco
05-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Tough choice between the Florida game and Arizona. Felt drained after both of them, however the deciding factor comes down to the fact that we beat Florida.

former1dog
05-29-2007, 07:43 PM
MORE COWBELL!!

(win over Florida, of course, with the UCONN loss 2nd)

CDC84
05-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I went with the Arizona game, but the UConn performance deserves a lot more praise than it gets at times. Rip Hamilton said that Gonzaga was more difficult to beat in that elite 8 game than Duke was in the national title game. The Huskies were a high scoring, powerful machine, and the Zags probably played the best defense I've ever seen them play in that game. They held them to under 70 points, and the game went down to the final minute. The Zags came so close that year.......

RebornZag
05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
CDC writes "the UConn performance deserves a lot more praise than it gets at times. Rip Hamilton said that Gonzaga was more difficult to beat in that elite 8 game than Duke was in the national title game. The Huskies were a high scoring, powerful machine, and the Zags probably played the best defense I've ever seen them play in that game. They held them to under 70 points, and the game went down to the final minute. The Zags came so close that year......."

I agree completely. The best Zag team ever was the '99 team. I don't care how many stars ***** a player has after their name they have to play as a team, and they have to play every game. There has not been a team that played as well in the BIG DANCE as the '99 team did. And in my opinion, the second best team was the 2000 Zag team, which was the same team. Santangelo had suffered from mono and was not the player he was in '99 or they may have made it to the final 4.

IN MY OPINION every team since '99 has fizzled out in the NCAA...and honestly has not played up to their potential...accept for maybe the team that lost in double overtime to Arizona...the next year, when they had the same team back, and a year older, they lose to Nevada in Seattle. We were a #2 seed.

ZagManFan
05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
It has to be the Arizona game (from this list). I would add that the best non-tourney game was the Maui against Michigan State.

As far as the Arizona games goes, you have to look back at the talent that was on that Arizona team. Don't worry, I have the roster here as well.

No Name Pos Ht Wt DOB Yr City (High School)
21 Hassan Adams SG 6-4 205
33 Rick Anderson PF 6-9 225
3 Will Bynum G 5-10 185
44 Chris Dunn F 6-7 180
2 Isaiah Fox PF 6-9 259
45 Channing Frye C 6-11 235
22 Jason Gardner PG 5-10 185
24 Andre Iguodala SF 6-6 210
13 Chris Rodgers G 6-4 190
20 Salim Stoudamire SG 6-1 180
4 Luke Walton SF 6-8 241

Zag79
05-30-2007, 01:16 AM
1999 baby. you cant top that game or season until we go farther than it and even then its the first. the AZ game though was one of my favs as far as an L. AZ was the number 1 one seed i believe, they had 50 nba players on there roster, ;) what a game. even in losing it boosted the zags in the national eyes quite a bit.

ZagManFan
05-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Correct 79, Arizona was a #1 and the Zags were a #9 that year.

CDC84
05-30-2007, 07:57 AM
I agree completely. The best Zag team ever was the '99 team. I don't care how many stars ***** a player has after their name they have to play as a team, and they have to play every game.

I think there is a difference between performing well in the tournament in a one and done situation and being the "best team." If you give me the 2005/06 or 2003/04 Zags, I bet you they beat the 98/99 team 8 out of 10 times at the very least. Those two teams were just more talented across the whole roster...whether it was reflected in the recruiting rankings or not. I mean, it wasn't as if the 03/04 squad was brimming with top 50 talent. They just had more good players.

That all being said, there are lessons to be learned from that 98/99 bunch - especially when it comes to dealing with late game situations, defensive effort and just overall toughness. What Gonzaga needs to do is find a way to match the talent that they have now with the elements that made that 98/99 squad click. I come from the camp that feels that the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive......

lothar98zag
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
bump for more votes

lothar98zag
06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the votes on this poll and the other 4 I ran earlier.

The Officially Unofficial GU Board Favorite GU NCAA Tourney Game is...

The win in Phoenix against Florida (73-72) in the Sweet 16 of the 1999 tourney.

Here's a recap of the game: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com//basketball/college/men/scoreboards/1999/03/18/recap.florida.gonzaga.html

Here's a youtube of the winning play: "the runner" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8)
(sorry about the poor quality of the video)