PDA

View Full Version : Derek Raivio

IdahZag
05-28-2007, 06:36 PM
What is Derek doing? Is he working out for teams and in camps for the draft? I haven't seen his name pop up anywhere...anyone have the scoop?

soonerterp
05-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I assume he's going to Europe. I don't think there is anything wrong with that either. It's not the NBA and that might suck in a way ... but a player in the right situation can make mad coin in Europe and there's still mad hot women over there. To me it isn't like trying to compare Neiman-Marcus to Dollar General.

And admittedly my feelings about the NBA are a little bit negative. I have teams that I like and players that I like, but I have mixed feelings about the league's administration (and its sellout mentality).

He participated in the Portsmouth Invitational in April ... he was way off the mark until his final game there. There was a thread about it here but I can't find it anymore.

IdahZag
05-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Well that's a fair assumption, but I'm surprised if he isn't working out with other potential draftees in the NBA camps beginning soon and the workout sessions they are doing now.

soonerterp
05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Well that's a fair assumption, but I'm surprised if he isn't working out with other potential draftees in the NBA camps beginning soon and the workout sessions they are doing now.

I think he can still work out for teams without going to the Orlando predraft camp but I'm not totally understanding the rule changes that were made this year. Also, a lot of players transitioning (for whatever reason) from college to the pros go about their workouts and stuff largely away from the microscope of the press, unless they're lottery bound like Oden or Durant or one of the Gator boys.

My original post mentioned that I assumed he would go to Europe, but I also wouldn't entirely close the window on his opportunity to attend training camp with an NBA team -- as a college player of note, who just concluded what was for the most part a nice career at a well-known (if not large) school, I think he deserves that. I should have mentioned that in my original answer to you.

beatProgram
05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
The difference in talent between the fairer sex in the U.S. and Europe isn't even close. I have to agree there.

We have what I call the "Home-grown Big and Beefies."

The women in Paris ride around their bikes in little dresses and high-heels. The women in the U.S. sit around on the couch until the only thing they can do is ride around on a lard kart wearing shoes made out of corn-starch.

:D

CDC84
05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Last I heard Derek was in Belgium, which is actually where he was born. In fact, he was born there when his Dad Rick was playing ball in that country. D-Rav might play for a team in Belgium, although I am sure there are numerous teams throughout Europe that would like to have his services.

ZaggyStardust
05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
The women in Paris ride around their bikes in little dresses and high-heels. The women in the U.S. sit around on the couch until the only thing they can do is ride around on a lard kart wearing shoes made out of corn-starch.

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!! Try not to be so insulting!

Zag79
05-28-2007, 11:13 PM
cdc pretty much covered it. i know he was hoping to workout for a couple nba teams, get his belgium citizenship going (not sure how all that works), and then if nba tryouts fail stick to pro ball in europe. preferably in belgium if the money is good, elsewhere if not. he will love it though, IMO he has a great knack for the european style of hoops.

Lurknomore
05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Well, Beatprogram I was pretty impressed with that post.

soonerterp
05-29-2007, 10:50 PM

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!! Try not to be so insulting!

BP, wow, man ... I have no words.

Maybe I should have kept to myself my remarks relative to European females vs. American females :( ... it was just to illustrate that playing European ball is not like being exiled to BFE or something.

ZaggyStardust -- Big ups for the Bowie-inspired name!

mendiant
05-30-2007, 07:23 PM
The difference in talent between the fairer sex in the U.S. and Europe isn't even close. I have to agree there.

We have what I call the "Home-grown Big and Beefies."

Me thinks bP has a fetish for womens' footwear...

Forget your internal self editor at Dempseys bP?

Really, just kidding...ha

By the way, the bike that this fat bottomed girl rides isn't a "lard cart", it's a customized Bianchi racing mountain bike...and it is VERY happy to have me sitting on it.

mendiant
05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
...and lest we forget the subject of this thread...

Derek is one of the best ZAGS ever, IMO and I hope only the best for him.

After he finishes with basketball, I hope he comes back to Spokane and opens a restaraunt so that we might all be privileged to part take in his culinary talents :D.

GonzagaGurl08
05-31-2007, 08:38 AM
...and lest we forget the subject of this thread...

Derek is one of the best ZAGS ever, IMO and I hope only the best for him.

After he finishes with basketball, I hope he comes back to Spokane and opens a restaraunt so that we might all be privileged to part take in his culinary talents :D.

I hope he comes back to Spokane to open a restaurant too. For those of you completly lost with the culinary business, there was an article published maybe by the SpokesmanReview a few years back in which Derek stated he wanted to open a restaurant. I'll try to locate the article and post it on here. Searching on the Spokesman Review webiste is hard. There are over 3000 articles with Derek's name, and I don't want to look through all of them.

soonerterp
05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
I hope he comes back to Spokane to open a restaurant too. For those of you completly lost with the culinary business, there was an article published maybe by the SpokesmanReview a few years back in which Derek stated he wanted to open a restaurant. I'll try to locate the article and post it on here. Searching on the Spokesman Review webiste is hard. There are over 3000 articles with Derek's name, and I don't want to look through all of them.

You mean this one? (http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2005/02/04/Sports/Derek.Raivio-853294-page3.shtml) It was actually in the GU school paper (link goes to third and last page of article):

In addition to continuing his basketball career, Raivio is a business major and hopes to own his own chain of restaurants one day.

"I like to eat, and I like to cook, and I also want to pick my hours and not be bossed around. It'd be tough but a lot of fun," Raivio said.

beatProgram
06-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Eh, too many years in Spokane. The land that 80's butt-rock and pop-country hath made. :)

The language was probably too strong, but seriously the Parisians... hot damn. That's a hell of a gene pool they've got over there.

mendiant
06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Eh, too many years in Spokane. The land that 80's butt-rock and pop-country hath made. :)

The language was probably too strong, but seriously the Parisians... hot damn. That's a hell of a gene pool they've got over there.

That is too funny bP...this "fat bottom girl" is over a quarter French...

Joke is on you baby...you better start appreciating the voluptous women out there...

you be missin' out baby :D

And what the hell is a cornstarch shoe???

gonzagulous
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Resurrecting this thread with a bit of juicy information - my girlfriend lives in a big apartment building in downtown Chicago. She was using a computer in their information center yesterday, and when she logged onto facebook, the last person to have logged on to the site from that computer was Raivio himself. Don't know if that means he's living there or was just visiting.

roxdoc
06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
LOL - the spread of Zag nation and the growth of our modern communications systems give us such insights. When DR signed on a computer in Chicago how could he know that the next day all of Zag Nation would know.

cobberzag
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Just talked to Derek. He is in Chicago working out for the Bulls.

lothar98zag
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Just talked to Derek. He is in Chicago working out for the Bulls.
That would have been my first guess.

I still think he'll end up in Europe (not that there's anything wrong w/ that)

But it can't hurt to give the NBA a shot - you never know...

sonuvazag
06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
my second guess was opening a restaurant. you know, with chicago's reputation as a culinary center.

soonerterp
06-06-2007, 05:33 PM
How awesome for Derek!

Indeed ... hopefully it could mean a later invitation to training camp (I also like the Bulls so I am somewhat biased). Although, Raivio's name isn't mentioned here (http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/lottery_070522.html).

Not that this has anything to do with Raivio's chances here, but I offer a little background on what I've been reading this summer. The Bulls are primarily in the market for a big man in the draft. Despite Ben Wallace (who isn't getting any younger), the Bulls are surprisingly thin in bigs, thus this urgency ... but trying to make a deal means possibly having to part with young guards Not Named Kirk Hinrich (contractural "poison pill" thing).

But I won't get my hopes too high up that I'll be able to follow Raivio's ongoing career without having to brush up on another language.

But once again, there's also nothing wrong with going to Europe, either, if that winds up being the case. In fact, it seems like the better basketball is being played across the ocean lately, and it seems like others are noticing that the NBA isn't all its cracked up to be (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/27/when-the-nba-is-not-the-promised-land/):

Sure, it's the most talented basketball league in the universe. But the gap is diminishing, America can't win in international competition, and suddenly "big fish in a small pond" isn't seeming such an apt description. Would you rather be at the forefront of a revolution or watching it from the enemy's prison?

gu03alum
06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
America doesn't win in international competition because our best players don't play and its geared toward international styles of play. If we have our best players we win like the dream team everytime.

Nevtelen
06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm not real convinced. Look who all played on the US team in the last world competition - Lebron, Wade, etc and we still got slapped around by Greece and their use of the apparently, um, revolutionary pick-and-roll. We didn't even make it to the championship game.

gu03alum
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm not real convinced. Look who all played on the US team in the last world competition - Lebron, Wade, etc and we still got slapped around by Greece and their use of the apparently, um, revolutionary pick-and-roll. We didn't even make it to the championship game.

Lebron and wade were on there, but what about Kobe, Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, or Arenas. Even Allen Iverson would have been better than a young Chris Paul. Battier, Brad Miller, Jamison, and Bosh are good, but they're not the best America has to offer.

soonerterp
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Lebron and wade were on there, but what about Kobe, Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, or Arenas. Even Allen Iverson would have been better than a young Chris Paul. Battier, Brad Miller, Jamison, and Bosh are good, but they're not the best America has to offer.

To corroborate more than berate ... I'm in agreement here for the most part:

Arenas didn't make the final cut last year (which was disappointing to me). Bryant, Duncan, Allen apparently all had other commitments and Bryant had undergone surgery last summer. Apparently Allen Iverson wasn't even invited by Colangelo and/or Krzyzewski, apparently they didn't feel he was the best America had to offer (I think a great deal of Iverson ... if I had to name a "superstar" that I actually liked in the L, it would be him).

The team they had was good (Anthony, Battier, James, Wade, Miller, Hinrich, Paul, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison if I recall right) ... but Greece played like it wanted it more and overwhelmed Team USA. Although -- it kind of floored me when Team USA couldn't answer Greece's pick 'n' roll. In the consolation game Team USA bested Argentina (a team that included, if I recall right, Manu Ginobili, Hinrich's Bulls mate Andres Nocioni and Walter Herrmann, the Fabio-looking guy from the Bobcats).

I'm still convinced that Team USA ought to be made up of American players who are playing pro ball overseas -- they're already well-versed in the rules and idiosyncracies of international play, and frankly, the NBA has it's international stars playing for their "home" teams overseas in international competition, why not the turnabout?

brasszag
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Apparently Allen Iverson wasn't even invited by Colangelo and/or Krzyzewski, apparently they didn't feel he was the best America had to offer (I think a great deal of Iverson ... if I had to name a "superstar" that I actually liked in the L, it would be him).

And from what I gather from news and interviews from the previous Olympics Iverson desperately wanted to be on the new US squad.

gu03alum
06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
It's hard to disagree with your points soonerterp. I'm a homer and I hate to admit that the US is not the most dominant country in basketball (or baseball for that matter). I think our team was very talented, but very young. That same team will probably do a lot better down the road. We'll see though if half the guys will even play.

soonerterp
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
It's hard to disagree with your points soonerterp. I'm a homer and I hate to admit that the US is not the most dominant country in basketball (or baseball for that matter). I think our team was very talented, but very young. That same team will probably do a lot better down the road. We'll see though if half the guys will even play.

Thanks.

So far for Team USA it looks like there will be no Wade (shoulder surgery), no Arenas (knee surgery), no Paul (foot surgery), no Michael Redd (surgery -- missed a big chunk of the Bucks' season too) that I can think of right off the bat.

soonerterp
06-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Back to the subject of this thread (Derek Raivio) ...

Hopefully if he's working out for the Bulls, hope it goes well.

Wonder if he's lined up any more workouts domestically.

sittingon50
06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Anyone have any idea what Sean is doing? Is he trying to extend his playing career?

soonerterp
06-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Earlier in this thread, I wrote:

In the consolation game Team USA bested Argentina (a team that included, if I recall right, Manu Ginobili, Hinrich's Bulls mate Andres Nocioni and Walter Herrmann, the Fabio-looking guy from the Bobcats).

Forgot somebody: I'm pretty sure Luis Scola was on that Argentine team too. He's a decent roleplayer with the eventual 2007 NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs (I say that because, let's face it, Cleveland is dooooooooomed).

Back to the thread's original subject, the Bulls have some information up on their website (nba.com/bulls) about the players they have worked out, and while they don't release the names of *every* player they have worked out, Derek Raivio's name does not turn up anywhere on Bulls.com or on draftexpress.com ... I don't take that to mean that DRav *didn't* actually work out for them, but then again he's not exactly a household name like the Gator boys or Acie Law (whom the Bulls have also worked out, because supposedly they're looking for "bigger" backcourt players, in which case the 6'3" Raivio wouldn't exactly qualify since Gordon and Hinrich are about that tall as well, and are apparently going to be shopping reserve PG Chris Duhon).

kdoggy
06-12-2007, 08:29 AM
David Rivers is one of my alltime faves in College Hoops. He got drafted by the Lakers I think, got in a bad car accident, rehabbed, and had a long career in Europe. I read once he was somewhat of a hoops god over there.

Funny comment about the women, there are soem pretty foxy women over there, although I think the French and German women don't hold a candle to the the Italians down south and the Dutch up north.

soonerterp
06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
David Rivers is one of my alltime faves in College Hoops. He got drafted by the Lakers I think, got in a bad car accident, rehabbed, and had a long career in Europe. I read once he was somewhat of a hoops god over there.

Funny comment about the women, there are soem pretty foxy women over there, although I think the French and German women don't hold a candle to the the Italians down south and the Dutch up north.

(italic emphasis is mine)

Yeah but those wooden shoes are a buzzkill ... :D

I KID! I KID!

soonerterp
06-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Earlier in this thread, I wrote:

Forgot somebody: I'm pretty sure Luis Scola was on that Argentine team too

I meant Fabricio Oberto not Luis Scola.

I wanted to edit the original post but did not see the EDIT button. What happened? I really didn't want to bump this thread again since -- and I'm very guilty of this too -- its really gone off the original topic. I suck!

ZagMania
06-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Just wanted to say best of luck to Derek.. one of my favorite Zags ever. Hopefully he can find a spot in the NBA so we can all see more of him.

soonerterp
06-17-2007, 11:51 PM
What ZagMania and mee755 said.

Any new stuff?