• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hooter73
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

Are we scouted?

This is not a bag on the team thread, its a real question.

Are we so well/over scouted that we will be stymied against the major opponents? Goodson's shooting is a known. Sacres trouble with double teams is a known, it seems Harris is maybe now a known... last year it didnt take long for Bol to get known as the 3 point guy and as soon as that happened his percentage went down a good bit which i have some worry over with Matis M.

There are always going to be some like Ammo, Bouldin and I believe Gray that you just know they WILL be scoring and theres not much you can do about that. But without other options that can still score and make things happen a team ends up flat.

So our guys either have to learn some new moves or be so good that they can overcome the counters to their skills. Am I reading too much into our own inner worries or out of my mind or is this maybe a legit issue?
  • zag67
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Valid question

First yes,I think that we are very well scouted by the top teams. But I think as the year goes on more players will understand the second and third options off a given play. Right now they are shutting down the first option and then we look very confused (because of new people to the team). As the year goes on I think that you will see that change (IMO). But I also think that you need to watch the game a second time. You will see that their plan was to not allow Steven open for a three and when he started to drive they did not sag in from the side he was driving on (especially when shooters like MM were on that side). So Steven (in most cases) did not have any choise but to finish the drive. I think that their bigs were suprise that he was able to do as much damage as he did.
    I also think that Meech did a very good job when he was in. In most cases he took the shots that he should, but I do think that the coaches will talk about patience and letting the play develop more before firing the three (you want to get the defense moving so that your bigs can slide into position for the rebounds.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

If we aren't the other coaches just plain aren't doing their jobs.
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• FlyZag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Nov 2007

Isn't that what coaching is all about? Creating a game plan to take your opponent out of their comfort zone while playing to your own strengths. It's all about putting our players in positions where they can be successful. For example, if Sacre struggles with the double team. Coach him to immediately pass it back BEFORE the double gets there, then swing the ball to the open man. It's on the coaches to coach and the player to execute.

Comment

• jim77
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

MOVEMENT...PASSING. NO defense is quicker than the pass. Did you see ST. Mary's play ST. John's? ST.John's is much quicker but, the Gaels moved the ball so quickley the defense couldn't catch up....and Steindl was open for 3's evertime he wanted. Once the play started the ball hardly ever touches the floor for the Gaels....speed can be neutralized....by the pass. (with movement) I hope KSU scouted us and I hope they double team Steven....which is gonna leave somebody open. The key is can we take advatage of that double team? We'll see.

Comment

Working...
          X