PDA

View Full Version : Possible GU recruit from Iowa

NorthoftheBorder
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
It seems like only yesterday when the only reason anybody had heard of Gonzaga was because that's where John Stockton came from, and now all of a sudden there are players from all around the country who grew up being Gonzaga fans. Here's an article on one from Iowa:

http://www.hawkcentral.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070525/HAWKS01

Grant Gibbs, a junior, is a 6"4" combo guard and one of the top prospects from Iowa.

"I was a Gonzaga fan growing up," Gibbs said. "They haven't offered me a scholarship. We've sent them some tape, so we'll just see what happens."

"Recruiting analyst Van Coleman described Gibbs as a combo guard who could become a point guard some day.

"I think right now he's a point guard in making," Coleman said. "He's been playing point guard alongside Matt Gatens in AAU basketball and that's where all this interest has developed."

Hank Huddleson, who coaches the Martin Brothers Select team, said Gibbs' court sense and his vision make him special.

"He can do so many things," Huddleson said. "He shoots it. He handles it. He dribbles it. He's unselfish. He can rebound. He's got good size for a point guard."

....... sounds a lot like Matt Bouldin.

RebornZag
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
It does....but with short hair we'd never get 'em confused....

BobZag
05-26-2007, 07:06 AM
"The one thing that has made Grant great this spring is that he raises his level to the competition," Huddleson told Hoopmasters. "The bigger the rep of the foe, the better he plays. He doesn't back down from any challenge."

One thing that we've seen from Gibbs is that he will compete on both ends of the court with the best in the class. He has the length and anticipation that gives him the ability to cut off passing lanes that let's him guard smaller guards. While his ability to knock down open jumper sets up penetration and pass on the offensive end.

spudzag
05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Based on his public comments and the level of recruiting competion Gibbs may be our best shot at a top 20 PG.

Looking at the top 20 list (on Scout) of those not committed it appears we are down to Clarke, Gibbs and Theodore.

Clarke is without question the shooter of the group. Theodore seems to be struggling with his shot at times or maybe just not taking it. By all reports Gibbs has a well ballanced game and rising to the level of his competion.

Lookng at the recruting competion, it look to me like we have the strong chance at being Gibbs best alternative despite his coaches comment about how far he will venture from home.

Gibbs also seems like a down to earth kid that would fit the trraditional GU profile well.

Here is a link to Theodore's performance yesterday; http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=677532 not bad! I'm still a fan.

BobZag
05-28-2007, 09:21 AM
My 2008 dream class--

*Poling
Clarke
Gibbs

* committed.

Theodore's still on the radar, and despite what I may say, the coaches will go after who they like, not what a message board says.

Don't count out a surprise, though.

spudzag
05-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Scanning several schools chat boards I saw Clarke, Gibbs and to a lesser exten Theodore over and over again. Each thinking they have a great shot and one or more of them.

The somewhat scary thought is that while doing searchs I came up with links to this board and even thread I had started. Makes me think twice about which key I press!

BobZag
05-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I do like our chances with both, regardless. Doesn't mean we'll get both (priorities could change) but we have a legit shot.

spudzag
05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
:link: http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=677296