• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag4Hire
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

New NCAA Rule May Wreak Havoc

I was watching Texas vs Louisiana Tech the other night and a sequence like any other game occurred: Long jumper by Texas, miss and LA Tech player gets board with Texas guy almost going over the back, and the LA Tech player swung the ball furiously and made incidental contact with the Texas player. Apparently there is a new rule in play regarding this kind of contact based upon the whole concussion phenomena going on. The refs huddled and decided it was an intentional foul. Unbelievable. A drill you are taught as youngin' will apparently get you marked as a dirty player. Let me state that there was nothing excessive about the LA Tech's players elbows and even the Texas fans appeared to be in shock (the announcers were talking about hearing the fans behind them). The announcers mentioned that this new rule change is something being taken seriously by the NCAA. I looked it up and here is a snippet (Note: It was approved but this is the best write-up I found):

If approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel in June, the change would require men’s and women’s officials to assess either an intentional or flagrant foul on a player who swings an elbow and makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders. If the foul is deemed to be intentional, the team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. If the foul is deemed to be flagrant, the player who threw the elbow would be ejected.
    Previously, such contact called for as little as a common foul or as much as a flagrant foul to be assessed. Under the new proposal, though, officials would no longer have the option of calling a common foul. A player who swings the elbow and makes contact below the shoulders would still be subject to a common foul, an intentional foul or a flagrant foul, depending on the severity and intent.
    This seems to be along with the whole invisible arc translates to either a blocking/chargin call is another subjective call that can change a game. Even more so, it can result in a player being ejected or two free throws and possession. Just something to keep in mind with the season coming up and so you aren't broadsided when GU is getting jobbed by the refs. Link below:

IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Always thought that if you swing your elbows (back and forth) it should be called a foul, whether or not contact is made. It shows intent. It is not to be confused with a rebounder attempting to move the ball one way away from an opponent.
    The problem with the rule, as it appears to be written, is the above the shoulders thing. Could Foster have swung his elbows and hit Isaiah Thomas any where else?, or could IT swing his elbows and hit Sacre above the shoulders? They both could and it would show intent, but if Rob swung his elbows, he could hit Meech in the head easily, with no intent.

8hrs, 53 minutes and counting!!
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

The whole swinging of the elbows thing is a major issue with John Adams, the NCAA Coordinator of Officials. He wants to clean up physical play in the paint and along the perimeter. It's been his mission since he took over the job. There have a number of incidents in recent years of players swinging elbows and severely injuring players (bloody noses especially - see what Manny Harris did to Chris Kramer).

Comment

• Zag4Hire
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Agreement

I would always support a rule that protects a player, especially a student-athlete, from unnecessary bodily harm. I also agree that the swinging of the elbows can lead to serious injuries. However, I am not understanding the difference between calling a foul and if it was excessive or with malice, a technical should be rung up. Based on my viewing of this rule already put in play, it appears the subjectiveness can lead to over-the-top calls that can easily swing the momentum of the game. Also if I could easily see some players being told to saddle up on a rebounder and draw contact resulting in the ref being forced to issue an intentional or flagrant foul.
        IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• Nevtelen
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag4Hire View Post
          I was watching Texas vs Louisiana Tech the other night and a sequence like any other game occurred: Long jumper by Texas, miss and LA Tech player gets board with Texas guy almost going over the back, and the LA Tech player swung the ball furiously and made incidental contact with the Texas player. Apparently there is a new rule in play regarding this kind of contact based upon the whole concussion phenomena going on. The refs huddled and decided it was an intentional foul. Unbelievable. A drill you are taught as youngin' will apparently get you marked as a dirty player. Let me state that there was nothing excessive about the LA Tech's players elbows and even the Texas fans appeared to be in shock (the announcers were talking about hearing the fans behind them). The announcers mentioned that this new rule change is something being taken seriously by the NCAA. I looked it up and here is a snippet (Note: It was approved but this is the best write-up I found):

This seems to be along with the whole invisible arc translates to either a blocking/chargin call is another subjective call that can change a game. Even more so, it can result in a player being ejected or two free throws and possession. Just something to keep in mind with the season coming up and so you aren't broadsided when GU is getting jobbed by the refs. Link below:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/...050510aaa.html
          I don't have a problem with this call IF the guy who comes down with the rebound gets protected by the refs. A lot of teams that base their play off of pressing and tough D will, at times at least, swarm any player who has just rebounded the ball and attempt to strip it. In the past, the correct thing to do is for the rebounder to clear his area by moving the ball around with his elbows out(not malicously or with intent to injure, but just to force other players out of his space). If that will be called a major foul of some type, then refs need to immediately call a foul on any player who leaps in to stip the ball in that situation. Otherwise all this will lead to is rugby scrums after rebounds.

Comment

• whatazag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I think this is a good rule, but only if they implement a complementary rule where officials actually call reaching in. The whole reason swinging the elbows becomes necessary is because after a player secures a rebound he gets hacked and/or molested by the opposing team trying to get the ball lose, and it is rarely called.

Comment

• Kiddwell
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

If an opponent gets in the way on a rebound...

...drill the sucker.

:]
              Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

I think if you swing your elbows at the same speed as your hips or something it's okay. This was a "point of emphasis" last season as well, so coaches and players should be adapting.
                The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagNut08
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

IMO this is one of the most mis-called issues in basketball. Players are allowed to "swing and sweep" on the perimter. As long as you are moving your elbows with your shoulders/body and not just throwing elbows, you are entitled to your space. If a player is too close, you are allowed to clear space using this method. However, more often than not, the player clearing their space is whistled for the foul. Same thing goes for securing a rebound, you are allowed to chin the ball, lock up those elbows and pivot to clear space.

It is similar to when players try to stand right in front of someone receiving the ball and take a charge. You have to allow a player to catch the ball, land, and take a step before taking a charge.

I for one, am not a fan of this change, will be interesting to see how it is implemented.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Only an accountant's flying elbows on a laptop are more dangerous.
                    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagNut08
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                      Only an accountant's flying elbows on a laptop are more dangerous.
                      Flying elbows are one of our many superpowers

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ZagNut08 View Post
                        Players are allowed to "swing and sweep" on the perimter. As long as you are moving your elbows with your shoulders/body and not just throwing elbows, you are entitled to your space. If a player is too close, you are allowed to clear space using this method. However, more often than not, the player clearing their space is whistled for the foul. Same thing goes for securing a rebound, you are allowed to chin the ball, lock up those elbows and pivot to clear space.

It is similar to when players try to stand right in front of someone receiving the ball and take a charge. You have to allow a player to catch the ball, land, and take a step before taking a charge.
                        Unless you are from Germany and playing Wake Forest.
                        The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Bogozags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

My understanding is that the arms cannot move any faster than the shoulders or that is how it was explained to us during clinics. Swinging elbows and not contact was a violation, contact was a personal foul. This has been expended further that swinging is now a foul and contact is an intentional foul or flagrant foul, depending on the contact.

Last year, I recalled seeing players rip and pull the ball across their body from one side to the other, with their elbows up and catching the defensive player in the head! Many were knocked down, some bleeding and taken out of the game but officials didn't always see the contact; therefore, a call was not made.That is the reason behind the rule. I saw it most frequently during BE play. This move was and most likely continues to be taught by coaches to establish "space" for the offensive player hopefully it takes this practice out of the game.

Comment

• sullyzag66
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I am at the AIA Classic at the Chiles Center at the University of Portland (UP defeated UW-Milwaukie in the first game) and in the second game between UC-Davis and Florida-Atlantic a FAU player was clearing some space with his elbows and was called for a foul. After a conference of the Officials the player was ejected with a technical foul. The FAU coach wouldn't stop jawing about it and has garnered a technical himself. He seems to be complaining that they are applying the rule incorrectly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him ejected before the game is over. He's pretty heated. It didn't seem flagrant to me. He didn't make contact that i could see. I could see some Zags in trouble over this.

Comment

Working...
                            X