PDA

View Full Version : Bench coaching and Ira

BobZag
05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Two things, fwiw--

When Billy Donovan got really good and took that next step, it wasn't just the great mix of players and ideal chemistry, but it happened only a year after former Clemson head coach became his assistant. Larry Shyatt shored up Florida's once porous defense, but perhaps more importantly, was the "bench coach" that Billy needed to make better in-game decisions, quicker decisions and better adjustments on the fly or at halftime. Also, game preparation and scouting other teams became better.

Imo, this is what will make Mark Few a better coach than he already is. To have a former head coach who knows how to adjust, how to prepare, how to win, necessary substitutions and just better in-game decisions... This is what I expect from Ray Giacoletti. Few will listen to him when RayG spots a weakness and makes suggestions. Few trusts RayG and has always thought of him as one of the brightest young coaches in the biz. There is the real potential to see improved coaching just as much as improved players.

What many folks don't know--and I didn't until recently--is that Ira Brown is perfectly capable of bringing the ball up the court. Most think of him as a beast inside who will dunk or someone who can shoot it, but not many know of his handles. He can play the 2, 3 or 4, each effectively. Just a little fyi.

It's a good time to be a Zag.

Nevtelen
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
It seems like we have several players on the team this coming year who are said to be able to play the 2, 3, and 4 - Downs, Pendo, perhaps Daye, and now Brown. I'm sure they'll mostly play one position, but it provides a lot of interesting options.

CDC84
05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
The versatility on this team is going to be a fun thing to watch. How many teams have the luxury of having two talented wing players that are 6-8 and 6-10 respectively, with the ability to back up those guys up with 3 players between 6-6 and 6-4 that can also play the wing? You also have a series of players like Bouldin, Daye, Brown and Heytvelt that present matchup issues due to their unique combination of size, skill and athleticism.

SpudDawg
05-25-2007, 12:41 PM
:argh:

lothar98zag
05-25-2007, 12:45 PM
There is the real potential to see improved coaching just as much as improved players.

totally agree! http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

IMHO, for the coaching next year:

Worst case - quality is the same as last year

Best case - well, I don't want to get my hopes up, but... :D :eek: :D

Lawdog9902
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I think next year is going to be special, how many day until tip off?

sonuvazag
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I think next year is going to be special, how many day until tip off?a million

former1dog
05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
a million
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f69ac865af.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

That would be:

24,000,000 hours or
1,440,000,000 minutes or
86,400,000,000 seconds

Conversely it would be

142,466 weeks or
32,877 months or
2740 years or
274 decades or
2.74 millenia

:p

lothar98zag
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I didn't know it was "Post a Picture of Yourself" day...

former1dog
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I didn't know it was "Post a Picture of Yourself" day...

:D I wished.

sonuvazag
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
14108357193996400 miles away if you were light

Akzag
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
corrected that for ya ...

I didn't know it was a "Post a Picture of Yourself" board...

;)

BobZag
05-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Everyday Lothar clangs that cowbell. All day long. You'd think he'd take the time to shave and shower, but noooooooooo.

a13coach
05-25-2007, 04:20 PM
This thread is getting all FOOed up. (hint, hint).

RebornZag
05-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I think what BobZ says about Few and Ray Giacoletti could be every bit as important as our new players. I think that too often we forget about the importance of coaching. GU has added a great coach I think, and I'd have to agree with everything Bob says. I'm one who believes that the most important person on the team is the coach or coaches. I think we've added a very good, young 5* coach. His success at EWU was just awesome, and look how many times they nearly beat the Zags. To go from EWU to a Major Div I school like Utah speaks for itself. I myself think it'd be very hard to coach there for a number of reasons. But he did make it to the Sweet 16 I think, and that too is awesome. I think Gonzaga has missed a quality coach like Monson on the bench. I'm as excited to see RayG as any of the players. So far the things posted here about what he's already doing at GU is very positive. I'm very sure he'll have his hand in recruiting, and I think that our success for '08 may hindge on what RayG can do. I believe Gibbs also listed Utah as a school he's interested in, and I hope that that means that at some point already Ray has seen him or at the very least evaluated him with his Utah staff. I hope to keep hearing more about this recruit.

MickMick
05-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Bobzag says:

Imo, this is what will make Mark Few a better coach than he already is. To have a former head coach who knows how to adjust, how to prepare, how to win, necessary substitutions and just better in-game decisions... This is what I expect from Ray Giacoletti.

And here I was wondering how adverse the loss of Grier would be. If Giacoletti is an upgrade, I feel a little more relieved.

However, I have not seen much discussion on how Grier's knowledge of our roster and playstyle will affect our games with San Diego. Has anyone really stopped and pondered what the buzz on this board will be like before that matchup? I personally believe that it holds the most pre game drama of all the conference games next year.

NJZag
05-25-2007, 07:18 PM
And here I was wondering how adverse the loss of Rice would be. If Giacoletti is an upgrade, I feel a little more relieved.

However, I have not seen much discussion on how Rice's knowledge of our roster and playstyle will affect our games with San Diego. Has anyone really stopped and pondered what the buzz on this board will be like before that matchup? I personally believe that it holds the most pre game drama of all the conference games next year.

Rice is still at GU, it's Grier who took the USD job.

Grier will know a lot about what to expect from GU. The open question is whether the players he has for next year will be able to match up well.

TheZagPhish
05-25-2007, 07:44 PM
The open question is whether the players he has for next year will be able to match up well.

Yep, that's it. I can only imagine that, despite his talent (no doubts there), Grier's first year in the driver's seat will be its own wild ride. Many roiling dynamics. I really hope he finds traction quickly, can inspire cohesion and deliver on the pine. But I don't expect all that in year one - for a whole dodecagon of reasons.

As for our game, I keep wondering about team harmony as we head (slowly, so slowly) into this talent rich season. The last couple of years have seen some wobbly balance. Derek's feeling of marginalization in relation to JP and Adam, then last season the various transmutations of the team. Please don't get me wrong - the guys have risen again and again, despite every challenge.

I'm reminded of a Morihei Ueshiba quote, "It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."

RebornZag
05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Team unity, chemistry of the team, as is always will be the key to our success next year. And that could be the coaches biggest challenge for next year. We've got to remember these guys all have egos. As I've said, there are a lot of new guys coming into this mix......The four frosh. Then you add LG and Theo and that's six (although Theo and LG were with the team all of last year). And then you had the suspension of Josh and his reintegration into the program....

And then you have the heart and soul of the 07-08 Zags: Pendo, Kuso, Pargo, Micah and Matt. There isn't enough that can be written about these guys because they saved last season. In ways not yet put into adequate words, these Zags may have accomplished more then many teams since '99. They will always be remembered in ZagKingdom, and Zaglore for their overcoming so much. For this reason, I feel the heart of the 07-08 Zags will be a very, very strong and passionate heart. I also feel they have a lot to prove, and this may go a long way toward building a very strong character in this team. The losses will not be forgotten easily. They will be a constant reminder of all that went wrong last year. I hope we can use those failures for building blocks to a regenerated Zag team next year.

These 5 guys, The Five Amigo's, will be the glue that binds the team. They will restore order, and bring the new comers into the wonderful world better known as Zagnation.

Bocco
05-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Everyday Lothar clangs that cowbell. All day long. You'd think he'd take the time to shave and shower, but noooooooooo.

I'm thankful the only ringing in my ears is tinnitus and that this site doesn't allow Lothar to put audio with that infernal cowbell.

MickMick
05-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Thought I saw the cowbell on the Scout site as well. He takes it everywhere he goes?

RenoZag
05-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Thought I saw the cowbell on the Scout site as well. He takes it everywhere he goes?

Would 007 travel without his license to kill ?

Zagaholic
05-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey former1dog, I like your tag :)