PDA

View Full Version : OT: Three top NCAA programs beaten by DII teams (exhibitions)

Baldwinzag
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
In the past week alone, Tennessee, Xavier, and Nevada all lost their exhibition games vs DII teams:

Division-II Indianapolis upsets (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5782664) #20 Tennessee

Indianapolis coach Stan Gouard took a note out of Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl's own playbook to lead his Division II Greyhounds to an upset exhibition win over the Volunteers (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 23 AP).

Xavier Falls (http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110610aaa.html)63-61 To Division-II Bellarmine

The Xavier men's basketball team got a true test in its final exhibition of the 2010-2011 season as the Musketeers fell to Bellarmine 63-61 Saturday night in front of 10,015 at Cintas Center.

Nevada beaten (http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20101107/SPORTS/101109629/1016&parentprofile=1059) in exhibition by Seattle Pacific U

The Nevada Wolf Pack men's basketball team warned us that there would be days like this. The Pack just didn't tell us the first one would come so soon.

“The locker room was quiet,” head coach David Carter said Saturday night after his Wolf Pack were stunned, 84-81, in an exhibition game to the Division II Seattle Pacific Falcons in front of 2,984 fans at Lawlor Events Center. “The guys were down. But I told them, ‘This is why you play an exhibition game, to work on things.' It's a long season. We just have to keep the guys' heads up.”

Edit to add: Andy Poling scored 17 pts for SPU in the exhibition game vs Nevada. Box score can be found here (http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=45428&SPID=4084&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10000&ATCLID=205026385). Chris Banchero went off for 33 pts. I believe that is his 2nd game in past week he has scored 30+ pts against D1 opponents. WOW.

kyle dixon
11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Ryan Looney (Spokane native/SPU Coach) is the real deal. Two wins in a week over two NCAA Division 1 teams (EWU and Nevada) in a week is pretty impressive.

Impressive to see D-1 teams falling to lower division 2 teams. How quickly we all forget about Syracuse losing last year to Lemoyne in the preseason....

MickMick
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Scholarships aren't cheap. You have to respect the ability of any kid getting a free ride. There is a reason they got one.

bigparb
11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
wow....reality check time here.....

this is college BB, anything can happen....

tucsonzag
11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Bellarmine Prep?

RenoZag
11-08-2010, 09:46 PM
No tears for Coach Carter from this corner of the Truckee Meadows. . .he knew they were in for a long slog after losing so much talent the last 2 years. . .McGee, Johnson, Babbitt. . .

AzZag
11-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't get hung up on this. Remember last year with Syracuse getting beat by LaMoye. Yeah that Cuse team turned ok.

switchboard
11-08-2010, 10:29 PM
This is why I don't understand people freaking out all over this board about our own exhibition game. People see one game where Coach Few tries out about a million different lineups, we don't have our best player out on the floor, our pg is a mix of different players and people freak out about our big "issues". Anything can happen.

CDC84
11-08-2010, 10:36 PM
It must be said that Xavier is walking around like a bunch of wounded soldiers right now, and Tennessee, well, the Vols have a lot of distractions at the moment.

bigparb
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't get hung up on this. Remember last year with Syracuse getting beat by LaMoye. Yeah that Cuse team turned ok.

It must be said that Xavier is walking around like a bunch of wounded soldiers right now, and Tennessee, well, the Vols have a lot of distractions at the moment.

True and true.....however we know that if GU would have managed to lose to S.Oregon then Chicken Little would have made an appearance on the board and folks would be going crazy......

Hoopaholic
11-09-2010, 07:01 AM
got to love them homegrown fighting irish boys

thespywhozaggedme
11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Scholarships aren't cheap. You have to respect the ability of any kid getting a free ride. There is a reason they got one.

Yup, I played low level juco intramurals and toyed with the idea of going out for the senior team, but these guys were so much better than anyone I had ever played against. The best player transferred to a D3 school; Rowan College. Even division 3 players are very talented.

xubrew
11-09-2010, 07:36 AM
This is why I don't understand people freaking out all over this board about our own exhibition game. People see one game where Coach Few tries out about a million different lineups, we don't have our best player out on the floor, our pg is a mix of different players and people freak out about our big "issues". Anything can happen.

that is important to keep in mind. exhibition games are different animals.

it was obvious in last year's syracuse loss to lemoyne that they really weren't trying to win like they would in a normal game. they played man-to-man defense, which is something you never see syracuse do, and they appeared to focus on improving their weaknesses rather than going to their strengths.

an athletic team that doesn't shoot the ball particularly well may approach an exhibition game where they don't press, and focus on taking jump shots rather than trying to get transition baskets. again, going to a weakness and trying to improve upon that rather than going to a strength.

having said that, i think the xavier loss is more of a product of them being beaten up. at the very least, they don't have a history of taking that particular approach to an exhibition game. to be fair, i didn't see it, but from all accounts they were trying to win. it could be a very long season.