PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Show KGA 1510 radio Noon today with Coach Daniels (11/8/10)

ZagNative
11-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Meech will also be on the show. They will be taking questions again on GoZags.com's Facebook page.

gamagin
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Guests, according to Tom Hudson, donnie daniels & Meech.

i started listening at 12:15 (show started at noon)

DD: exhibition game impressive. smaller venue and there's a sea of red. Got a little taste at Kraziness. but crowd passion etc., the commitment, the venue is tremendous.

TH: s. ore. game. what you think?
DD: turnovers -17. seven unforced. we try for 12 or below. preparation. selection. hope we get the right guys shooting the basketball. as season goes on, s. ore's won't be on the schedule, so we have to shore them up and fast.

TH: re selection. difficult to keep running and staying in the flow when you know you could do anything vs. s. ore.

DD: we want transition offense. it's everything. inside presence, too. we need more of both. on perimeter, we try to make plays for others and those on the perimeter. we gott get and take the shots.

TH: elias out. i imagine his absence affects.
DD: I havent seen EH play in a live game yet. so yes, he is missed.

TH: anyone jump out at you. ?
DD: meech played well in the scrimmage. driving and transition and passing ahead. I know he played 30+ games last year but we can't take anything for granted. KO played well and did some nice things.we need to get RS more shots. And more points and rebounds. He got two boards and shoulda got 6.

TH: re p.g., what do you see there ?
DD: Matt had it last year. It will be much the same this year, only with SG. with Meech off the ball. re surprises, it was sam dower. he has a gift of catching and scoring. if he can play a tad harder, he's the guy who has the gift and a pleasant surprise. realize he's a redshirt freshman.

TH: game week. new for you. how approach this week ?
DD: starting fri-sun-tues. 3 games in 7-8 days. this is part of it (the real season) now. exhibition and then the contests begin. The submarine goes down and doesn't come up til april. If you can just enjoy what you're doing that's fun, but the here (new place, city, arena &, crowd, environment) it's a whole new ballclub for me.

TH: positions, p.t. and coordinating, anything changing from coaching perspective?
DD: players understand the situation. keigan and some others are working for more p.t. manny trying to get p.t. everyone battles for it, everyone can't get all they want. i will say they are working at it. people (fans) would be surprised how long and hard they are working.

TH: what about EH ?
DD: he'll be cleared wed, maybe tomorrow for contact, I think. we want this injury to heal. he wants back in. he's fine. our trainer worked with him. pretty much a range of motion (injury). now its the bumping and grinding. pretty sure he'll be able to handle that.

TH: re southern. they have struggled. what you going to see.
DD: they are athletic, like to press. don't shoot real well. five returners. 10 new, so they'll have experience issues. but they will bring enthusiasm. hard play and active and defensive. they get alot of turnovers. we'll have our hands full. we gotta take our shots and I think we'll be in good shape.
we need to keep the ball in front of us and keep our philosophy, shot selection, take care of the ball and half court defense, all the things we've been doing, we'll be ok. And what we need from meech (who was sitting in the room during the interview) is his taking the reins, communicating and taking charge. He'll do that and we'll be in good shape.

end DD interview, next Meech

TH: your a junior. amazed. where are you and how do you feel, your a senior guy now.
DG: seems like a couple of days. this being my junior year, i have a different role. talking to teammates through situations. I oversee players who are unused to the tempo. the offensive sets. I'm trying to be a vocal leader, and going out there and showing freshmen and newcomers how to play hard.

TH: your role changes without MB. It's ur turn.
DG: MB was a great player. coaches didn trust me as much as i would have liked last year. I would love to have him back. BUT he's gone and now I have to step up my game. I've been looking forward to this. it's kind of my game. coach says this team goes as far as im willing to take them. I've been shooting the ball and free throws and getting everyone else involved.

TH: What you do this summer
DG: worked big time. we watched the davidson game & broke it down. I was told I should play every game like the davidson game: score, be agressive, coach said play like its your team. i think i've been doing a pretty good job of that lately.

TH: how do you take over from MB ?
DG: coach is putting in different plays. this team is different. not alot of individual stars. we have to work together as a team to score. coach has plays designed for me. I'm more involved than last year with the ball and the play.

TH: the front line and the bigs are the talk of the team this year.
DG: yes. every time i come down the court, coach says look point to post. RS has worked hard this summer. I like feeding the big man. EH is very athletic and so I come down and pass to those two and they make life easy.

TH: and KO ?
DG: i've seen him work hard on his post move. more of a shooter than a post up guy last year. he's bigger and needs to perfect his right and left hook. We give him a bad time about falling down, and he's gotten better with his feet. we give him a bad time about that tall the time.

TH: sam dower ?
DG: haven't had a lefty who can shoot like that. he's definitely going to help.

TH: what about new guys
DG: getting the hang of things they have a lot to learn. i've seen big jump in all three. moorninghoof a great shooter. he can shoot eally good. steve three point shooter too. others going to come in and play their roles.

TH: you all look like you were in the weight room this year.
DG: yes, our trainer does a great job of making our workouts fun.

TH: where are the minds. this t eam seems to have come together.
DG: this team is more of a team. can't name one guy off by himself the team has to gel if we're going to have the seaason we want. because of the lack of talent, we're more of a team. we hang out together and it's getting better an better.

TH: is this team ready ?
DG: been beating each other up for last couple weeks. we're just happy to get started.

TH: three games in a few days
DG: off today but tomorrow we start up and we have to learn somethng new. because 3 games back to back. we have to concentrate and listen to the coaches. and get the job done.

TH: Thanks, Meech, good job.
DG: thanks

ZagNative
11-08-2010, 12:08 PM
gamagin is amazing ... What a guy!

gamagin
11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
sorry didn't see your new thread was already up till it was over.

Section 116
11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Great job Gamagin, I didn't even listen to the radio show but with a recap like that I really don't see the need!

hondo
11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks Gamagin

cjm720
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Thx...the season is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

misszigzag
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Excellent recap!

It is appreciated :)

gamagin
11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Lead Story: EH will likely be back this week, cleared to play Wed. and in the lineup v. Southern Friday. (I agree with those who wouldn't mind if EH got even more healing time -- if more time would mean better healing -- before facing the really big fish like SDS & Kansas State.

(1) Coach Daniels seemed a little nervous with the interview but nevertheless did quite well in the give and take.

(2) DD said, same as Few, that Meech, like last year, would take the ball up court and then, like last year, dish it off, only this time to SG instead of MB.

(3) Meech, who followed DD to the microphone, gave the distinct impression that he was going to take the ball to mid court and beyond, dishing inside or driving and dishing or shooting. But it doesn't stop there. He said the coaches said it was his team and to act like it. So he says he will lead, take charge, be quarterback and lead the newbies with words and examples, too.

In other words, though he didn't use the words, he described himself as a complete point guard.

That's the way he sees it, anyway. I hope it's true and he is right. Because that is exactly what this team needs.

(4) I thought it was revelatory that Meech noted this team is a real team. They like each other and spend alot of time on and off the court together. That just might be the key to jump starting this team when the going gets really rough.

Which begins about a week away v. SDS.

ZagNative
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
As I listened to Meech, I was struck by how much courage he shows. He's taken a lot of brickbats, and he doesn't give up. He just keeps on trying. I remember that Coach Few said about him after the Western Kentucky game that one of the best things about him is the way he bounces back after setbacks, and how (unlike Pargo, whose confidence could be shaken after disappointing performances), Meech oesn't get his dobber down. I sure hope that remains the case, after the trials he's faced.

CDC84
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
TH: anyone jump out at you. ?
DD: meech played well in the scrimmage. driving and transition and passing ahead. I know he played 30+ games last year but we can't take anything for granted. KO played well and did some nice things.we need to get RS more shots. And more points and rebounds. He got two boards and shoulda got 6.

Rob has got to figure out a way to average more than 5.4 RPG this season. I don't care what it takes. He doesn't need the rebounding instincts and jumping ability of Blake Griffin in order to do it. Matt Bouldin came very close to averaging more boards per game than Rob, and he was a 6-5 guard who ran the offense.

BobZag
11-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks, gamagin!

:allhail:

bballbeachbum
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
another thank you gamagin!

gamagin
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Rob has got to figure out a way to average more than 5.4 RPG this season. I don't care what it takes. He doesn't need the rebounding instincts and jumping ability of Blake Griffin in order to do it. Matt Bouldin came very close to averaging more boards per game than Rob, and he was a 6-5 guard who ran the offense.

I can see KO in there with Sam and EH if RS doesn't step up, just to get some sort of scoring interaction, boarding and put back rhythm going.

MickMick
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I like Rob as a defensive enforcer. A guy that exudes toughness for the rest of the team to emulate. Would like to see rebounds combined with an "effective blockout" stat. Then we would see how valuable Rob is in the rebound department. With a good blockout, you often create space for teammates to get the rebound if you don't get it yourself. Many of those good rebound numbers that Matt had last year was because of EH and RS effectively blocking out.

I like Rob to score in obvious mismatches, but I don't see him as a "go to" guy on offense. He has too long of a "wind up". Defenders seem to react before he can get the ball above his head. He takes a beating with the ball in his hands and doesn't get rewarded by the referees nearly enough for it.

Perhaps one of his bigger contributions is being a beast for Dower to practice scoring against daily. I couldn't think of a better guy to bang against on a daily basis than Rob Sacre. Dower is gonna be a much better player because of it.

I see Dower and Harris as guys I want to look for on the offensive end when working "inside out".

gamagin
11-09-2010, 08:00 AM
I like Rob as a defensive enforcer. A guy that exudes toughness for the rest of the team to emulate. Would like to see rebounds combined with an "effective blockout" stat. Then we would see how valuable Rob is in the rebound department. With a good blockout, you often create space for teammates to get the rebound if you don't get it yourself. Many of those good rebound numbers that Matt had last year was because of EH and RS effectively blocking out.

I like Rob to score in obvious mismatches, but I don't see him as a "go to" guy on offense. He has too long of a "wind up". Defenders seem to react before he can get the ball above his head. He takes a beating with the ball in his hands and doesn't get rewarded by the referees nearly enough for it.

Perhaps one of his bigger contributions is being a beast for Dower to practice scoring against daily. I couldn't think of a better guy to bang against on a daily basis than Rob Sacre. Dower is gonna be a much better player because of it.

I see Dower and Harris as guys I want to look for on the offensive end when working "inside out".

I see some combos in the future featuring KO, Manny, Sam for some serious chaos under the rim at times. and rebounds and putbacks and more of a reflex and brain game, while Eh may slip to the 3 or even the 2 to further confuse the enemy. All "if" Few decides to mix it up and try something besides getting RS more involved.

Baldwinzag
11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Coach Daniels: "we need to get RS more shots."

Disagree. I like Rob being an offensive force, yet not neccessarily the focal point of our half-court offense. I love Rob in one-on-one situations in the paint, yet given his slow-as-molasses approach in the post he gets doubled or swallowed up everytime. I'm in support of giving his addt'l opportunities to Elias, Sam, Steven, or even Kelly to score/shoot/create/etc.

Coach Daniels: "And more rebounds."

Agree. As all of stated, he'll subsequently score more points and create opportunities for himself, such as drawing more fouls or kicking back out to open shooters or cutting teammates.

Coach Daniels: "He got 2 boards. He shoulda had 6.

Yup. Rob's focus should be rebounding, playing tough defense, put-back opportunities(off Steven's, Elias', Kelly's, Sam's shots, and busting a quick move when he isolates the opponent or gains superior position underneath the hoop.

I'm sure Rob has the proverbial "green light" on offense, yet I'm personally not a fan of him as the 1st option as several eluded to above. He's too slow with the ball and even though he's not a ball hog by nature, his post moves create a vortex of defenders in the paint. I recognize this is due to our lack of perimeter shooters, yet Rob takes 5-10 seconds on the clock to make it happen, if you will. Also, a hook shot has about as much of a chance as a 3pt shot of going in, imo, especially if he's being doubled or held. I firmly believe Rob is a tremendous post-player with the best big man body in NCAA, yet has never been a go-to guy even in HS. Instead of putting pressure on himself to score more points, I hope he puts more pressure on himself to secure more boards. Again, jmo.

MDABE80
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
RS= fluff. Needs to get serious. NO grinning.
Eli= needs more rest. He should get it. Reinjuring a range of motion type injury can be disastrous.
Sam=give him more minutes
Meech= much improved. Let's hope he sustains his improvment.
KO= we'll see. Looked better.
Gray= needs the ball. Should shoot more. He's the offense for now. Reticent star. FOCUS! Please FOCUS!
Manny= needs to step up seriously. Too quiet. Talented!

Johnnygu
11-09-2010, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Baldwinzag;599926]Disagree. I like Rob being an offensive force, yet not neccessarily the focal point of our half-court offense.QUOTE]

I like Coach Daniels opinion on this one, and his opinion obviously is the opinion that counts. I think Rob Sacre should strive to have Omar Samhan scoring ability, not defer to teammates. He needs to stay aggressive as possible. He has the tools.

bballbeachbum
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
on KO and offense, and since he keeps growing, and with his skill set, always evolving...would like to see what he can do in the post, or just off the post. that length can get him some shots down there I would think, like how Pau Gasol plays with his length and skills. not saying KO is Pau Gasol of course, OK? but a nice compliment to RS/EH/SD power down there is the point...perhaps not a good one tho :)

on complimenting the power post, the high low action w/ KO has promise. does KO have the touch to hit open shots from 10-15 ft. consistently (does SD?)? and the toughness and commitment to work the weakside O glass, to compliment RS' (or whoever) back to the basket play? I think he does, we'll see soon, and Manny strikes me as this type of player too

basically, if so much attention goes to RS in the post when he has the ball, everyone else needs to relish the opportunity to punish the other team for that

GonzagaLove
11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
What this team needs is some early success to gel and get the confidence up of a player like Meech.