PDA

View Full Version : From our Aussie loving friends.

U Zig, I Zag
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/4601/t/Zags-exhibition.html

They seem to know as much about us as we know... ;)

EuroZag2010
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
i see they adore us :D we will never hear the end of " we won the WCC and went on to the sweet 16"

I cant wait till they come to the MAC to get their seasonal beatdown

GoZags
11-08-2010, 06:04 PM
The Gaels are the reigning WCC tourney champs, and they made it to the Sweet 16 last season. That's quite an accompishment. I certainly don't mind if they repeat their NCAA tourney success -- and I certainly don't mind if they're joined by other WCC members winning games in the post season.

That being said -- 10 in a row is 10 in a row. and 17 of 20 (WCC regular season and tourney titles) is 17 of 20. Coincidently -- 17 of 20 was also the Zags' 10 year record against our local Pac 10 rivals (WSU and UW) until Romar took his ball and went home.

dnj116
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I enjoy good fan-to-fan banter as much as the next guy, but that Kstatezag guy is obnoxious and doesn't represent the GU fan base well with that trolling. We certainly don't stand for it around here, and I'd like to think we're a bit classier than that. Go ahead and dispute who's the better team, better overall record, etc., but the snarky comments is reserved for the scout and rivals type boards...

U Zig, I Zag
11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
I just think there is a lack of subject matter and inevitebly the conversation turns to the Zags. Not sure who KState is, but imagine he haunts this board as well.

One thing I will say though, SMC won the WCC tourney and did not win the league (otherwise Matt mistakenly cut down some net and owes the GU Athletic department $12.99). There is a difference between the two but that seems lost on most of them on the board. We beat them 2 out 3 times, once on the road, and when we lost it was with our star ailing (Matt finally dealt with that this summer) and one of our top players out (Manny). I never, not for two seconds, thought that SMC was better than GU last year... not being homer about it either. Just the quality of the opponents, head to head games and us flying all over the place to play games. Ok, that's off my chest. ;)

CDC84
11-09-2010, 09:09 AM
If everyone plays a balanced schedule, the best team in the league is almost always its regular season champion. All the conference tournament proves is what team in the league is the hottest at that moment, or what team has a shaky resume and needs the tournament title to get in the dance. As important as seeding is in the NCAA tourney, the opportunity for favorable seeding is not going to cause a team to play with as much urgency as a team that may not or won't make the dance unless they win the league tourney.

It's a different deal when a team has to prove it over the course of two months. It's really the true test of how good your team is. Again, in most cases.

former1dog
11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Ok, I'll take the unpopular but in my opinion more logical opinion on SMC vs Gonzaga last year.

There is no question about it, at the end of the season SMC was the better team. They proved it in the conference championship and they proved it in the NCAA tournament by making it to the Sweet 16. Results matter and excuses are just excuses. Do I think we would have had a better chance in the WCC championship with Manny in the game and a healthier Matt Bouldin, of course. We didn't, though, and the result was that SMC was the better team. That's sports and all the coulda, shoulda, woulda's just make us sound like a bunch of whiners.

zaguarxj
11-09-2010, 09:57 AM
There were a lot of very interesting basketball observations early in the thread before it turned into a who-won-the-WCC pissing contest. I've been pretty curious how other fans view the GU players and a lot of the posts were spot-on, IMO.

U Zig, I Zag
11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
There were a lot of very interesting basketball observations early in the thread before it turned into a who-won-the-WCC pissing contest. I've been pretty curious how other fans view the GU players and a lot of the posts were spot-on, IMO.

Agreed. The early posts were pretty spot on, especially regarding the front court.

U Zig, I Zag
11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Ok, I'll take the unpopular but in my opinion more logical opinion on SMC vs Gonzaga last year.

There is no question about it, at the end of the season SMC was the better team. They proved it in the conference championship and they proved it in the NCAA tournament by making it to the Sweet 16. Results matter and excuses are just excuses. Do I think we would have had a better chance in the WCC championship with Manny in the game and a healthier Matt Bouldin, of course. We didn't, though, and the result was that SMC was the better team. That's sports and all the coulda, shoulda, woulda's just make us sound like a bunch of whiners.

Hopefully I didn't sound like a whiner. Just stating what I believed, which seems pretty reasonable.

I think the SMC win in the WCC tourney gave that team a sense of confidence that def carried into the NCAA tourney (where they got dismantled like we did).

It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

zagfan07
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM

I agree that they were playing better at the end of the year, but I would have liked to see them go up against Syracuse to see how they fared. Nova was as overrated a team as any last year. Although, that's just part of the luck of the draw. I'm not trying to take away from what they did; SMC had a great season and deserved to be in the sweet 16.

GoZags
11-09-2010, 10:52 AM
It isn't easy to have a 38 point swing over the course of 2 games. But that's precisely what happened vis a vis St. Mary's and Gonzaga last year.

GU's 19 point win in K2 was answered by the Gael's 19 point win in Las Vegas. Thus, a 38 point swing. Wonderful victories over Richmond and Villanova in the dance cemented their claim as WCC's "best" last year. I won't argue that point.

As for the Zags? They've proven they can answer the bell year after year. Hopefully others in our conference can do that as well.

And as for big swings over the course of 2 games? I'm hopeful that Gonzaga will have a chance to make a "36 point swing" early in the season, and avenge that ugly 35 point spanking they took in the Garden last season. This is sports -- anything can happen.
-----------------
Disclaimer: To any Internet Stalker who may (i.e. will most likely) misinterpret what I've written here.

The above post is in no way intended to diminish any of our brethren WCC Conference Members.