PDA

View Full Version : Sounds fishy to me

BobZag
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
From ESPN.com--

It's a strange little story, and as of right now, it seems hard to believe it will jeopardize what could be a breakout season for the San Diego State men's hoops team, but it's a story all the same: On Saturday, a 30-year-old SDSU alum went on local TV news in San Diego to accuse several unidentified San Diego State basketball players of "jumping" him inside a downtown San Diego nightclub. The news report shows the alleged victim explaining his injuries and telling reporters -- before he shared the news with police, which is something we'll get to in a second -- that the alleged attack was unprovoked.

"I got, just basically got jumped," Jeffrey Layno, the alleged victim, told San Diego's CBS 8. "[It was me] against four, five basketball players."

Layno went on to tell the TV cameras that he was planning on pressing charges.

"Regardless of whether they are basketball players from San Diego State or not, I’ll still press charges," Layno said. "Because I will not allow a person, or two or more people, hit me for no reason, for nothing that I did wrong."

If the case proceeds, the potential for a season-affecting situation could arise. Potential charges stemming from the incident would amount to misdemeanor battery, according to CBS 8. Just as likely, however, is that the case goes the way of most bar fights -- a brief investigation with, ultimately, no charges being pressed.

There's also the matter of Layno's story, which isn't backed up by the owner of the club Layno was patronizing. The club owner, James Brennan (unfortunately, no relation, because I wish I had an uncle who owned a nightclub in San Diego; coolest uncle ever) told the San Diego Union-Tribune that Layno instigated the situation with the SDSU players and that the whole incident "got blown out of proportion." Brennan even drops some basketball knowledge to back up his claim. (Told you he was the coolest uncle ever.)

“The girl started dancing with a couple other guys, and my people said it looked like (Layno) went into a jealous rage, pointing his finger in people’s faces,” Brennan said. “One thing led to another and there were shoves. And he used that to create a story, to make a name for himself.

“It’s a nonissue that got blown out of proportion. It’s a shame for these kids that this thing even got to this point. I went to USD and am a huge USD basketball fan, and I’d love nothing more than to see them suspended for our game (Dec. 11). … But what’s not right is not right.”

According to the Union-Tribune story linked above, Layno posted the following Facebook message on Saturday: "Tune in to channel 8 cbs news at 630pm tonite for full coverage on what happened to me last night …" The notion that Layno would go to a local TV news crew before alerting police and discussing the case with them is not exactly the best sign of his credibility. It doesn't mean he's not telling the truth. But, you know ... who does that?

Given all that, it's hard to imagine the story accelerating to the level of season damaging. Gut feeling, if I may say so? This goes away. In the end, it might barely qualify as a distraction.

Still, Aztecs fans stoked for a big season -- SDSU is ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 and is one of the favorites to win the Mountain West this season -- might feel a little less stoked today. It's something to keep an eye on, at least.

jazzdelmar
11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
dont be so quick..sounds like a jerky guy but stingaree is a really notorious place (and its owner brennan and i are great friends back to rockaway, queens, ny)..chargers merriman and a few others got into trouble there many times..also fishers kids thru the yrs have had their legal probs.....as well as sdsu athletes in general...u cant rope em in, but his players shdlnt be going to joints like that at all.....brennan is a BIG USD booster, fwiw

ps: sdsu's FOOTball team's getting top 25 votes ..oh my!

ridgebackzag
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Hmm.. I've never heard of a group of athletes going to a club/bar and getting into a scuffle, whether it's their fault or not.

This will get swept under the rug.

rijman
11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
dont be so quick..sounds like a jerky guy but stingaree is a really notorious place ..chargers merriman and a few others got into trouble there many times....u cant rope em in, but his players shdlnt be going to joints like that at all.....brennan is a BIG USD booster, fwiw

Merriman was arrested after a night at Stingaree and Charger linebacker Steve Foley was shot by an off duty cop after leaving there, which ended his career.

This sounds like there is no real case based on the club owner's comments. I hope this will be a wake up call to the Aztecs so they didn't piss away a promising season before it starts.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Was Tila Tequila involved in this incident in any way?

jazzdelmar
11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Merriman was arrested after a night at Stingaree and Charger linebacker Steve Foley was shot by an off duty cop after leaving there, which ended his career.

This sounds like there is no real case based on the club owner's comments. I hope this will be a wake up call to the Aztecs so they didn't piss away a promising season before it starts.

jimmy brennan has a vested interest in pooh-poohing the case. his joint revolves around athletes -- pro, college, retired, hangers on -- and the pple who want to see them and be seen w them. jimmys a smart guy, too. still, ur right it cd be bs.

Section 116
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
From the San Diego Union Tribune pretty much what is already posted:

Man alleges SDSU basketball players 'jumped' him at club
By Mark Zeigler

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.

The nationally-ranked San Diego State men’s basketball team takes the floor for the first time at 7 tonight in an exhibition at Viejas Arena against Point Loma Nazarene. On Saturday the Aztecs open the regular season at Long Beach State, followed by four more tough road games over nine days.

But now they may have another opponent to deal with: 5-foot-11 Jeffrey Layno.

Layno, a 30-year-old SDSU alum, told a local television station he intends to press charges against several unidentified Aztecs basketball players who, he claims, “jumped” him at the downtown nightclub Stingaree early Saturday morning.

It could amount to nothing, as many bar scuffles do, but a protracted police investigation or lawsuit could serve as an unwanted distraction at the start of the most anticipated basketball season ever on Montezuma Mesa.

SDSU coach Steve Fisher would not discuss details of the case, and his players were not made available to the media after practice Sunday. San Diego Police spokesman Gary Hassen, reached on his cell phone, declined to determine whether a police report had been filed or an investigation launched “until I get to work Monday.”

James Brennan, owner of the popular Stingaree and several other San Diego nightclubs, said he did not witness the incident but provided a version of events after being briefed by his staff, saying it involved a woman who apparently accompanied Layno there.

“The girl started dancing with a couple other guys, and my people said it looked like (Layno) went into a jealous rage, pointing his finger in people’s faces,” Brennan said. “One thing led to another and there were shoves. And he used that to create a story, to make a name for himself.

“It’s a nonissue that got blown out of proportion. It’s a shame for these kids that this thing even got to this point. I went to USD and am a huge USD basketball fan, and I’d love nothing more than to see them suspended for our game (Dec. 11). … But what’s not right is not right.”

Stingaree is a three-level, 22,000 square foot club in the Gaslamp Quarter that is considered San Diego’s top nightspot. It is also where several “incidents” involving high-profile athletes have occurred or originated, including former SDSU basketball player Lorrenzo Wade the night he was accused of stealing a television from his apartment complex in 2008 (charges were later dropped).

The No. 25 Aztecs practiced Friday night until 7, then had Saturday off. It was the first Saturday off since practice began three weeks ago.

“Look, people are allowed to go out and have a good time,” said Brennan, who declined to identify which players were at Stingaree. “My (staff) said they weren’t overly intoxicated, that they were under control. My guys said some of them looked like they weren’t even drinking.”

Seven members of the Aztecs roster are 21 or over.

Fisher met with the team privately Sunday before a spirited, 2½-hour practice at Viejas Arena.

“We’re aware of the alleged incident,” Fisher said. “We are doing our due diligence investigating this from our end. Until we have more facts, we will have no further comment, nor will our players.”

Layno did not return e-mails from the Union-Tribune. He told KMFB-TV that he “basically got jumped against four or five basketball players” as he was preparing to leave Stingaree at about 12:30 a.m., showing a bloody left eye and scratches on his neck.

“Regardless of whether they are basketball players from San Diego State or not, I’ll still press charges,” Layno said on camera, “because I will not allow a person, or two or more people, hit me for no reason, for nothing that I did wrong.”

On his Facebook page Saturday, Layno posted this message: Tune in to channel 8 cbs news at 630pm tonite for full coverage on what happened to me last night …

rijman
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Was Tila Tequila involved in this incident in any way?
The basketball players wanted to dance with Layno's date, so I can only assume it wasn't Tila Tequila.

Zag 77
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, they are fun, but everybody knows the bars where people get shot and stabbed and where fights happen. Come on guys, get a clue.

BobZag
11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
The basketball players wanted to dance with Layno's date, so I can only assume it wasn't Tila Tequila.

Now THAT is funny. :lmao:

rijman
11-10-2010, 12:28 PM
After reports in the San Diego UT there were going to be no charges filed against the basketball players Mr. Layno has apparently changed his mind. The San Diego UT reports today "Man reverses decision to drop charges, prompting revival of police investigation of basketball players' role"

Layno says he got jumped by 4 or 5 basketball players and he got a bloody left eye and scratches on his neck. Is he sure he wasn't playing them in a basketball game? The last time I got bloodied going against 5 basketball players was a pickup game.

The club owner James Brennan still says he thinks at the end of the day they'll find what his staff found internally, which was there's nothing to it.

sittingon50
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, good material for the KC next week.

Mantua
11-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't think that this alleged incident will even merit a Kennel Club taunt.

PS
My daughter was in London last summer and reports that the Chelsea Drugstore is now a McDonald's.

BobZag
11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
My daughter was in London last summer and reports that the Chelsea Drugstore is now a McDonald's.

Sadly, your daughter is right. :(

willandi
11-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Sounds like he got a really rough lap dance, with the scratches and black eye!!