PDA

View Full Version : In WCC, it's not just Gonzaga

BobZag
11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=sprow_chris&id=5763270

It's a subscription article...

Mentions SMC, LMU, players like Keion Bell, Drew Viney, etc. And the Zags' OOC schedule.

bballbeachbum
11-07-2010, 10:34 AM
good read, thanks. it's pretty bullish on the conference in general. other WCC teams, along with the Zags of course, have a chance to make some statements in the OOC (Florida St. @ LMU for example; they have to win that game)

gamagin
11-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I would think this would be a great year to steal a win or two. With EH a question mark, there is even more incentive.

If I were coaching I would be telling my seniors/stars that if they are ever going to taste it, this would be the year. They try to say it every year but this year they could say it with conviction.

Unless we turn into a team. We have the better athletes but we're vulnerable as we turn into a force as a team.

RenoZag
11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
From the linked article:

The schedule looks daunting, but there's a good chance the Zags will be favored in at least seven of those contests, and in a way, Few can't lose. If the Zags even went something like 6-4 in these contests, their "quality RPI win" element is already chalked up before WCC play begins. What's more, nearly half of these contests now take place up in either Spokane or Seattle, the true sign the program has graduated. It's no longer just about Gonzaga over-scheduling, it's that other teams point to the GU game with a sense of dread.

CDC84
11-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Florida St. @ LMU for example; they have to win that game)

That game is extremely important for LMU because their non-league sked is not going to impress the NCAA tourney committee that much:

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/loyo-m-baskbl-sched.html

CDC84
11-07-2010, 01:42 PM
11/15 St. John's at St. Mary's
11/15 USD at Stanford
11/15 Pepperdine at UCLA (NIT Tip-off)
11/15 SCU at USC
11/19 Kentucky at Portland
11/20 Colorado at USF
11/23 Portland vs. Washington State (Cougar Hardwood Classic)
11/26 SCU vs. Arizona (Las Vegas Invitational)
11/26 Texas Tech vs. St. Mary's (@ South Padre Island, TX)
11/27 South Florida or BYU vs. St Mary's (@ South Padre Island, TX)
11/28 USD at New Mexico
12/1 St. Mary's at San Diego State
12/6 Portland at Washington
12/7 Pepperdine at Utah
12/8 USF at Louisville
12/11 USD at San Diego State
12/18 Florida State at LMU
12/18 USF at Washington
12/19 Washington State at SCU
12/21 USF vs. San Diego State (Jerry Tarkanian Las Vegas Classic)
12/22 USD at Diamond Head Classic (Baylor, Washington State, Mississippi State, Utah, Butler, Florida State, Hawaii)
12/27 Nevada at Portland
12/28 Pepperdine at Alabama
12/28 Colorado State at USF
12/29 Mississippi State vs. St. Mary's (at Las Vegas)
12/30 Pepperdine at Miami FLA
12/31 Utah at Portland
1/1 USD at North Carolina State
2/19 LMU Bracket Buster Game
2/19 St. Mary's Bracket Buster Game

bballbeachbum
11-07-2010, 01:59 PM
11/15 St. John's at St. Mary's
11/15 USD at Stanford
11/15 Pepperdine at UCLA (NIT Tip-off)
11/15 SCU at USC
11/19 Kentucky at Portland
11/20 Colorado at USF
11/23 Portland vs. Washington State (Cougar Hardwood Classic)
11/26 SCU vs. Arizona (Las Vegas Invitational)
11/26 Texas Tech vs. St. Mary's (@ South Padre Island, TX)
11/27 South Florida or BYU vs. St Mary's (@ South Padre Island, TX)
11/28 USD at New Mexico
12/1 St. Mary's at San Diego State
12/6 Portland at Washington
12/7 Pepperdine at Utah
12/8 USF at Louisville
12/11 USD at San Diego State
12/18 Florida State at LMU
12/18 USF at Washington
12/19 Washington State at SCU
12/21 USF vs. San Diego State (Jerry Tarkanian Las Vegas Classic)
12/22 USD at Diamond Head Classic (Baylor, Washington State, Mississippi State, Utah, Butler, Florida State, Hawaii)
12/27 Nevada at Portland
12/28 Pepperdine at Alabama
12/28 Colorado State at USF
12/29 Mississippi State vs. St. Mary's (at Las Vegas)
12/30 Pepperdine at Miami FLA
12/31 Utah at Portland
1/1 USD at North Carolina State
2/19 LMU Bracket Buster Game
2/19 St. Mary's Bracket Buster Game

nice snapshot of the opportunities. USD and USF's OOC stand out to me

Nevtelen
11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
nice snapshot of the opportunities. USD and USF's OOC stand out to me

The issue is that neither of those teams are really poised to do anything with that schedule. USF might be better than USD this season, and quite possibly a very decently good mid-table WCC squad, but I don't think either of them will be lighting the world on fire.

SMC has their chances, too, though it's tough to know if they'll take advantage of them. I wouldn't count them out, though, based on the performances of their returning players last season and the culture they seem to have going in their program (and the fact that Bennett has stayed).

bballbeachbum
11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
The issue is that neither of those teams are really poised to do anything with that schedule. USF might be better than USD this season, and quite possibly a very decently good mid-table WCC squad, but I don't think either of them will be lighting the world on fire.

SMC has their chances, too, though it's tough to know if they'll take advantage of them. I wouldn't count them out, though, based on the performances of their returning players last season and the culture they seem to have going in their program (and the fact that Bennett has stayed).

I hear you. USF gets 2 of their games at home. USD is on the list 5 times, all on the road (character building; where have we seen this before?). Portland has 3 at home, should have mentioned them, too

Nevtelen
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I hear you. USF gets 2 of their games at home. USD is on the list 5 times, all on the road (character building; where have we seen this before?). Portland has 3 at home, should have mentioned them, too

I would LOVE to see Portland beat Kentucky (heck, I think it'd be pretty neat to see them beat WSU in Seattle), but I'm not holding my breath.

zagzilla
11-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Kentucky at Portland jumped out at me too. Wonder how that got scheduled? Somebody on the Pilot staff have a connection to Calipari? No Oregon kids on the KY squad this year either.

ZZ

23dpg
11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Kentucky at Portland jumped out at me too. Wonder how that got scheduled? Somebody on the Pilot staff have a connection to Calipari? No Oregon kids on the KY squad this year either.

ZZ

Yes there is...Terrance Jones. Ask your Husky friends about him.

Billfish'80
11-08-2010, 07:58 AM
I'll bet it was scheduled before Wiltjer committed. I wonder if Cal signed on just in case Kyle was a late hold-out. He'd be hoping to swoop in and wipe Porland out while Kyle looked on. (Just to convince him he shouldn't consider a WCC team)