PDA

View Full Version : OT: Humboldt St - 75 Southern Oregon - 51

Baldwinzag
11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
That was the final score of last Saturday's basketball game b/w Division II Humboldt St and the Southern Oregon Raiders we just played.

Humboldt St held SO to just 51 pts of offense and beat them by 24 on their home floor.

Zags held SO to 58 pts and beat them by 32 on our home floor.

Both games were considered "exhibition" contests.

Just FYI.

Radbooks
11-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Exhibition games are meaningless.

I think we can agree that Duke is going to be a pretty good team and they didn't exactly shine last night in their exhibition game - if that was your point. They only outscored a D-II by 19 points and gave up 61 points after being up by only 6 at halftime. This is from ESPN:

Exhibition games are exhibition games for a reason. Drawing too many conclusions from an exhibition box score is a mistake. The real games are what counts, and the college hoops season is long enough that even early-season non-exhibition tests aren't quite the best barometer for figuring out how a team is going to perform throughout the season. Sample size, and all that.

Still, it's not unfair to toss a modicum of praise toward 2009-10 Division II champs Cal Poly Pomona. Why? Because the Broncos played 2009-10 Division I champ Duke -- the 2010-11 consensus preseason No. 1 and a team many expect to repeat their national title this season -- pretty tough last night.

When I glanced at the final score, an 80-61 Duke win, it looked unusually close for a Duke exhibition game against a D-II foe. Turns out, for most of the first half it was closer than that. Though their only lead came off the first possession, Cal Poly Pomona trailed by a mere six points at halftime, 39-33. Duke opened it up after the half -- perhaps Coach K's halftime speech was less than friendly -- going on a 34-10 run in the first 12 or so minutes of the second half. The Division I national champ did what Division I national champs do: They forced a ton of turnovers, got a bunch of easy buckets, and held an inferior team to three field goals during a breakaway run.

Still ... yes, it was just an exhibition. Yes, Duke dominated at will. But for 20 minutes, the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos played with a loaded defending national champion in Cameron Indoor Stadium. That might not deserve a standing ovation, but I think we can at least spare a golf clap.

Baldwinzag
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Exhibition games are meaningless.

I think we can agree that Duke is going to be a pretty good team and they didn't exactly shine last night in their exhibition game - if that was your point. They only outscored a D-II by 19 points and gave up 61 points after being up by only 6 at halftime. This is from ESPN:

As stated above, just a FYI for comparison sake only. Given the meaningless nature of such competition, I thought it was prudent to tag this thread as "Off Topic". Following tonight's game, I visited SO's athletic website to find a post-game article from their perspective and noticed our games was their 2nd exhibition in the past week. Found it interesting is all.

seasontixholder
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Meaningless? Only if misused. I generally learn more during the first exhibition game than any subsequent ones. The basic skill levels of the new players become apparent. I remember my first impressions of Harris, Olynyk, and Manny; that Dower was green; that Poling and Gibbs were not elite-level D-1 players.

CDC84
11-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I think you can get a nice feel for some of the players during an exhibition game, but evaluating a team is a different matter due to all of the experimentation that's going on - not to mention all of the players being used who will rarely see the court during the regular season.

And then there is the matter of the team's future NBA first rounder sitting on the bench with an injury.

I felt the guys looked pretty good in the 2nd half.

MickMick
11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Kids on scholarship are there for a reason.

You have to respect the ability of any kid on scholarship. If you have ever admired the skill of a "walk on", you have to respect the ability of a kid that isn't. I don't care what level he is at. He was a pretty decent high school hoopster to get a free ride.

I have respect for Southern Oregon. They gave good effort throughout. One of their kids was a very good perimeter shooter. Hit some contested shots as well. Either he was hot for this given night or he is better than the level he is playing at.

Zags played as expected for a first time out. They played with good effort to the end. Even if Elias was in the lineup I would expect about the same. Teams typically don't look sharp this time of year. Indeed, the Zags looked better than I expected they would. The gap widens between the haves and the have nots as the season progresses.

gum797
11-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Meaningless? Only if misused. I generally learn more during the first exhibition game than any subsequent ones. The basic skill levels of the new players become apparent. I remember my first impressions of Harris, Olynyk, and Manny; that Dower was green; that Poling and Gibbs were not elite-level D-1 players.

Yes, meaningless. Syracuse lost one of their exhibition games last year and we know the rest...