PDA

View Full Version : Best Defensive Strategy Against Our Bulldogs

former1dog
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
It seems obvious to me that the best defensive strategy against our boys this season would be to pack it in. Deny passing lanes to bigs posting up and double and triple team them when they do get the ball in low. All of this with the intention of making our guards make offensive plays, especially making them knock down perimeter jumpers.

I really, really hope that Southern Oregon, Southern and IUPUI all employ this strategy heavily to give our team the chance to see it and play against it.

What are your thoughts?

sonuvazag
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I have thoughts but I don't want the opponents to read them.

Reborn
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
At the beginning of the year we will see teams defend us as they did last year, until Meech can prove he has improved his shot from the outside or his replacement (Carter, Stockton) shows he can shoot. Teams will double-team Sacre and Harris in the post, if indeed Harris plays the post. Sacre must show much improvement in his ability to hit the open man. From everything I am reading he has improved a lot. Sagging man to man is what most teams have been using against the Zags. Gonzaga has alway recked havoc on teams who have zoned them. But Syracuse sure was successful......

I think the success of this years team, at least early is going to depend our ability to hit the outside shot. This should be no surprise to anyone, as Mark Few indicated at the end of last year that he was going looking for outside shooters. I am anxious to see if any of the new players can hit that outside shot with any consistency. If I were a newcomer playing tonight I would want to prove to Few that I can shoot from the outside. This also includes how Meech should be thinking because I know we will all be waiting to see tonight if he has improved his confidedence from the outside. I think if we can be in typical form from the outside for a Mark Few Zag team, the Zags this year will be tough to beat. I know Harris is going to be unstoppable one on one and I also think Rob will be too.

I think what makes it hard for teams to defend Gonzaga is that the Zags love to run in transition. In order to do that the Zags must first play better defense (which they will) and they must be a better rebounding team (which they also will be). If we get our transition offense going this season we are going to be tough to beat. And I believe we will see this much more. I read into what both Few has been saying and what Rob and Sam Dower have been saying in interviews. Good rebounding and good defense leads to strong transition basketball. I am looking for this Zag team to average about 80 ppg for the first time I think since Morrison has left. Thats good news. We may be returning to that fast paced Gonzaga basketball that we grew so accustomed to watching.

former1dog
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I know Harris is going to be unstoppable one on one and I also think Rob will be too.

I think Rob is as unstoppable a player there is in college ball if he is guarded by one guy. BUT, the problem that was very, very apparent was that he turned the ball over if he was double teamed.

CDC84
11-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I feel that if Harris moves to the 3, and Kelly/Sam play the 4 while Rob plays the 5, we will see less doubling of Rob....even if the guards have trouble sticking long range shots at times. I don't think the doubling of Rob just had to do with Meech's poor long range shooting last season. It also had to do with the fact that Elias (at power forward) operated so much on the perimeter on offense. There were many instances when Rob was the only guy in the paint last season. If Kelly or Sam join Rob in the paint, post defenders will have to focus on those guys as well. It won't be as easy to double Sacre.

LynetteG
11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought Harris wasn't playing...or they were making a game time decision....?

hooter73
11-05-2010, 04:00 PM
yes yes make us shoot from the outside; we cant do that, leave us open infact. We're either un proven or proven ineffective from the perimeter last year

Double the low and watch you own turnovers is what every team will have to do to stay in it with us.

titopoet
11-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Well, now So Oregon tried it and it did not work. (It would have been better to play the Zags straight, IMO) The reason was the guards were releasing with the improved rebounding and Meech, Gray and company beat them down to the other end. Second, packing it in will cause more fouls and the Zags have to live on the foul line. Also, the bigs showed a lot of internal passing game among themselves, which means So Oregon had to pack it in more and more, opening 10-15 foot shots. It became a pick your poison type of option.

Hoopaholic
11-08-2010, 07:18 AM
way too much hi-low triangle action type of players this year to really try and pack it in ....teams trying this will find they are giving up free throw/elbow jumpers and backside slash cuts for layups...

It will be tried but Harris, Dower, Oly and Sacre will be too much improved in this area this year.....

but it will be interesting

gozagswoohoo
11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
duck and cover

Rim Rockah
11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
easy one. zone us out of the building. it's obvious that we struggle against a good zone like memphis or fsu in the second half last year. when you take us out of our element, which is the flex, and zone up is when we are most vulnerable.

MickMick
11-08-2010, 08:56 PM
You can beat a zone with a big man making the assist. It is the very definition of "inside out". The bigs have to be conditioned to executing it. The perimeter players have to be ready to receive it and use a quick release before the defenders react. The Zags can get open looks this way and a player like Mooninghoff could thrive.

Another way to beat a zone, you get the defense moving one direction and pass against the grain to the open man. I think of it like a running back in football cutting back against the grain. The opposing defense is collectively moving in one direction and the cut back forces them to quickly change direction back. Typically it is too late, hence a football defense typically assigns a man with "contain" responsibility for just that purpose.

In short, get them moving in one direction and pass back the other direction. Often a player doesn't even have to take a perimeter shot as an open lane to the hoop can be created. Cutting back against the grain like a football running back. It has to be practiced and executed instinctively.

Meech's brother is a pro running back. It is in his genes.

titopoet
11-09-2010, 07:30 AM
easy one. zone us out of the building. it's obvious that we struggle against a good zone like memphis or fsu in the second half last year. when you take us out of our element, which is the flex, and zone up is when we are most vulnerable.

The problem with the zone, is rebounding out of it. Against the best zone last year, Syracuse, the problem was not attacking it. The Zags shot 56.4 % in twos against it. The problem came from trying to shoot down the zone, Bouldin and Gray were a combined 3-15 shooting the three. (Two excellent 3 pt shooters by the way) The big problem was that Bouldin was abused by Rautins and Johnson on the end. The major problem was a breakdown in on the defensive end. Not going to beat teams by letting them shot 54.7% and 48 % in threes. I know I will get in trouble for saying this, but Bouldin prove to be too much of a defensive liability in that game.

Butler beat Syracuse by being better defensively than the orange. They won by attacking the inside of the Zone. The Zags will learn and attack the inside of the zone. The key to this team is how they defend.

They have to defend themselves to greatness.

Hoopaholic
11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
zone zaga and we go into a 1-3-1 set and eat it up this year due to the much improved inside play and hi low setting...I run Harris baseline, Sacre/Dower slide to low block and Olynyk stays hi elbow with Gray running the shooting wing.....create 4 man overload with flex at the short corner and you are getting good shots all night long.....this by the way plays greatly into one of Meech's strength in attacking the gaps and weakside rebounding of which he is good at.

I would be shocked if we attacked a zone in typical stagnant style this year, which was the issue last year. Last year we were perimeter oriented and stayed in typical sets and tried to rely strictly on shooting skills to beat a zone...this year is different with different skill sets that the team brings to the table

U Zig, I Zag
11-09-2010, 08:03 AM
The problem with the zone, is rebounding out of it. Against the best zone last year, Syracuse, the problem was not attacking it. The Zags shot 56.4 % in twos against it. The problem came from trying to shoot down the zone, Bouldin and Gray were a combined 3-15 shooting the three. (Two excellent 3 pt shooters by the way) The big problem was that Bouldin was abused by Rautins and Johnson on the end. The major problem was a breakdown in on the defensive end. Not going to beat teams by letting them shot 54.7% and 48 % in threes. I know I will get in trouble for saying this, but Bouldin prove to be too much of a defensive liability in that game.

Butler beat Syracuse by being better defensively than the orange. They won by attacking the inside of the Zone. The Zags will learn and attack the inside of the zone. The key to this team is how they defend.

Bouldin did prove to be a liability on the D side, especially as the year went on. But he was broken and ailing - trooper through the whole thing. Tough kid.

I think Carter was brought in to penetrate the key and shoot or dish, leaving Steven to go baseline or wait for a kick out. Rob has to increase his 'vision' 3-fold this year. He needs to see the double-teams coming and know where to watch for slashers and guys on the outside open.

MickMick
11-09-2010, 06:00 PM

You put this post together better than I ever could. You absolutley hit the nail on the head.

How many times did we hear Len Elmore (who was calling the game) call for the Zags to extend their guards out? After a couple of sniper shots by Wesley Johnson and Andy Rautins, the Zags really needed to adjust their defensive philosophy "in game". Shelve the Zone and "help" defense, extend Bouldin and Gray out to whatever depth necessary to contest those long range bombs, and force the extra pass. I would rather have seen the Zags get beaten by "one on one" athleticism as opposed to letting Johnson and Rautins bomb away.

Butler beat Syracuse by challenging Rautins and Johnson on every shot. I hope coach Few didn't throw that video away. He is gonna need it at some point this year for teaching points to himself and the players.