PDA

View Full Version : Rivals ranks 2007 Zag class 17th best

CDC84
05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=676729

Gonzaga dropped to 17 from 13. Why you might ask?

When Rivals did the last team rankings, they didn't include Ira Brown, who is viewed as a 2 star juco player. Had Brown not been included, I think Gonzaga would've been higher than 13. Maybe in the top 10.

BTW....I really question how much jucojunction.com or any recruiting service has actually seen Ira play. He played at a lower level juco school.....hidden in obscurity. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. I just don't feel the GU staff these days would ever offer a schoolie to a player when they were technically out of them unless that guy could play a little ball.

It goes to show you how team rankings can be a tricky business.

NorthoftheBorder
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I see Oklahoma State has 7 recruits coming in.

Hopefully that Gonzaga - Oklahoma State series scheduled for the next 4 years gets put together.

BobZag
05-24-2007, 05:24 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=676729

Personally, I'd put us up a few notches but I respect Jerry Meyer and his judgment. Ira is only a 2-star and that drags it down.

Florida is #1.

spudzag
05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Better than 7 Pac-10 schools, darn respectable.

MickMick
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
If Ira is the difference then no worries here.

If Ira can make Few look past PMAC, then he must be really special. Some BCS schools would not even consider bringing in a JUCO...but Batista has convinced me otherwise.

RebornZag
05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
A fivestar and two four star players. Looking through the other teams ahead of us, I'd say a top 10 recruiting class. When you combine the '07 class with our returning players, I begin to get a sense why we're ranked in the top 15 in the last preseason ESPN College Basketball Poll. The really fun part of college basketball is seeing your new recruits play after months of anticipation. I'm as excited as can be to see Daye, Gray, Sacre and Brown play, and see how they mix in with our guys coming back. We haven't seen Theo Davis play yet, so in a way I think he's viewed as a newcomer to me...I'm really anxious to see him play. And because LG didn't play last year, I can hardly wait to see how improved he is...So in a way, I'm waiting to see six guys play and see how awesome next years team is going to be.

Shanachie
05-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Ira is only a 2-star and that drags it down.

I'm not what you'd call a recruiting junkie, but I don't understand how adding a player (of any caliber) should bring down the ranking of the class. Does that mean the class would be ranked higher if the staff had left the fourth slot open?

CDC84
05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm not what you'd call a recruiting junkie, but I don't understand how adding a player (of any caliber) should bring down the ranking of the class. Does that mean the class would be ranked higher if the staff had left the fourth slot open?

Yes.

Gonzaga was 13th when the team rankings were last updated. At that time, Austin was ranked in the 30's, and there was no Ira Brown. When Rivals recently updated the player rankings, Daye moved to 25 as a 5 star player, and Sacre and Gray moved back just a couple of spots. There were more positive changes than "negative" ones regarding the 3 high schoolers.

The difference was Brown being added.

kitzbuel
05-25-2007, 10:38 AM
It looks like St John's recruited a whole, darn team. How does it work out that there is no one in the pipeline so they have all those schollies open?

UberZagFan
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Yes.

Gonzaga was 13th when the team rankings were last updated. At that time, Austin was ranked in the 30's, and there was no Ira Brown. When Rivals recently updated the player rankings, Daye moved to 25 as a 5 star player, and Sacre and Gray moved back just a couple of spots. There were more positive changes than "negative" ones regarding the 3 high schoolers.

The difference was Brown being added.

This total team ranking business has been discussed before but it still makes absolutely no sense. Would you rather have a Durant and Three 3 star nobodies or Four 4 star players? The latter would have a higher team ranking. I'll take the Durant and 3 nobodies.

BoZarth
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's some proof from a recent article by Luke Winn on SI.com.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/luke_winn/05/17/patterson.kentucky/index.html

Reviewing Rivals.com's Top 10 classes of 2003:

10. Arizona

Key recruits: Mustafa Shakur, Kirk Walters

Shakur, who was then called "one of the best point guards in the 2003 class," never made the jump to great college player. He made one Elite Eight trip, and in the other three seasons the 'Cats failed to win more than 20 games.

9. Pittsburgh

Key recruits: Chris Taft, Aaron Gray, Walter Waters, Dante Milligan

A decent class, in that it produced two quality Big East big men (even if Taft was underwhelming at times) and three 25-win seasons ... but the Panthers never made it past the Sweet 16.

8. Kansas

Key recruits: David Padgett, J.R. Giddens, Omar Wilkes, Jeremy Case, Nick Bahe

A disaster. Everyone other than Case, a little-used reserve, transferred away from the program. Bill Self reloaded, but still, who expected this class to simply disappear?

7. Syracuse

Key recruits: Terence Roberts, Demetris Nichols, Louie McCroskey

McCroskey left. Roberts was decent but generally underwhelming. Nichols emerged as a big scorer his senior year ... but in the three seasons he and Roberts played decent roles, the Orange lost in the first round of the NCAA twice, and most recently, were banished to the NIT. Not a strong showing for the 'Cuse's first post-Melo class.

6. Cal

Key recruits: Leon Powe, Marquis Kately, Ayinde Ubaka, Dominic McGuire

McGuire left, but Powe, Kately and Ubaka all became starters for the Bears. By the time they were gone, Cal had just one NCAA trip -- a first-round loss in 2006 -- to show for it.

5. Arkansas

Key recruits: Olu Famutimi, Ronnie Brewer, Vincent Hunter, Julius Lamptey

Lamptey didn't make it to campus. Famutini is in the NBDL and Brewer is in the NBA. The Hogs went to one NCAA, in 2006, with both Brewer and Hunter on the roster, and lost in the first round.

4. LSU

Key recruits: Regis Koundjia, Brandon Bass, Tack Minor, Darnell Lazare, Ross Neltner

Bass was the SEC's frosh of the year, but soon jumped to the NBA. Koundjia ended up at George Washington, Neltner transferred to Vandy, and Minor was eventually expelled. Lazare was a solid role player on the Tigers' 2006 Final Four team, though.

3. Maryland

Key recruits: Mike Jones, Ekene Ibekwe, Hassan Fofana, Will Bowers, D.J. Strawberry

Jones, Ibekwe and Strawberry formed the solid core of the Terps' program for the past four seasons ... but only went to the NCAAs twice, and lost in the second round both times. Amazingly, that means the Terps accomplished far more than the Nos. 1 and 2 teams on this list:

2. Oklahoma

Key recruits: Drew Lavender, Brandon Foust, Lawrence McKenzie, Jimmy Tobias, Jaison Williams, Longar Longar

Could this class have contributed any less to OU? Lavender feuded with Kelvin Sampson and left for Xavier. Foust went to Southeast Missouri State. McKenzie resurfaced in Minnesota. Tobias went to Georgia Southern. Only Longar and Williams stayed to be minor contributors. The Sooners went to two NCAA tournaments from '04-07, never getting out of the second round. Wow.

Somehow, the mythical recruiting champs of '03 manage to trump this.

1. Florida State

Key recruits: Alexander Johnson, Von Wafer, Diego Romero, Antonio Griffin

Congrats go out to Leonard Hamilton for pulling off an incredible feat. He managed to parlay a No. 1 recruiting class ... into zero trips to the NCAA tournament.

I doubt Hamilton's feat will ever be matched, especially not by the likes of Billys Donovan or Gillispie, with recruits like Lucas or Patterson. But it sits there as a big, ugly, cautionary tale, reminding us that recruiting triumphs don't guarantee a thing.

Shanachie
05-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Would you rather have a Durant and Three 3 star nobodies or Four 4 star players?

Likewise, would you rather have Daye, Gray, Sacre and Brown, or just Daye, Gray, and Sacre? Is Rivals saying that adding Brown actually makes the class worse? That's completely nonsensical.

Don't get caught up in these rankings . . .

Now that makes sense.