PDA

View Full Version : Concerns via the grapevine

BobZag
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
The backcourt is a serious concern. Nobody is stepping up. To highlight this, from the neck up the best guard is David Stockton. That's how real the concern is. Confidence issues, getting up to speed in D1, being too casual... It is a genuine work in progress that needs to get off to a strong start but thus far is behind the curve. Fans better hope like hell a couple guys take the bull by the horns and step up. And that goes for Steven, too.

The frontcourt is a legit strength. Very positive news regarding this area.

In short, there are worries at the top.

I guess I'm just confirming what y'all have already heard and read between the lines from Few's statements.

With SDSU, KSU and Duke/Marquette very early on, priority #1 is finding ways to prod the guards and wings into raising their level of play, and fast.

That'll be all, thank you.

gozagswoohoo
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know how to tie a noose?

gamagin
11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know how to tie a noose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ta7iDatNA

U Zig, I Zag
11-02-2010, 11:12 AM
It's going to be a tag team effort between Meech and MC I think. They can help each other out, hopefully. Steven needs to lead physically and vocally. It's odd, but last year so much was on Matt but he never seemed to be that vocal (a la, Pargo). Steven needs to channel his inner DeNiro and motivate this crew all season long.

Stockton can bang down a three right? Play 'em.

MDABE80
11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Nothing wrong with David's brain. If he could be quick, an average shooter and run the team...what's so wrong with that? Somehow, it's hard to believe Meech...after his past few years cannot manage. Could he be worse than last year!!! He did ok...not a star but he did ok.
Carter's bothered me...just not quick and he seems to have the casual friendly JC attitude...plus and he's be facing a daunting offense to manage...takes time.

Good thing we've got this hard core front line.

Gray should know the offense by now...David Stocks must be brought along...if he's got the brain to run the offense...he's worth a second or third look. He might frow into the job. Brains mean everything in the PG slot. He's got good ballhandling skills.. Just MHO.

ZagNative
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Worried. Very worried.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/beta376.gif

75Zag
11-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Sounds like the season is in the toilet.

As a public service and to prevent a ton of paper ticket stock hitting the landfill, I have arranged a standby credit facility which allows me to purchase all GU season tickets at $0.09 on the dollar. PM me immediately before news of the upcoming disaster becomes public.

Go Bulldogs!

gamagin
11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
juncture, I think it was pretty clear going through those really good raw interviews was this team has a a full plate of "things" it needs to work on, not the least of which is a language barrier between everyone (ini english) and a few players (where english is a second language).

take that, and filling the big hole left by MB, Manny's apparent inconsistencies, EH's injury and the horse race for p.t. between KO, SD & MA, SG's leadership mantle, I would say Meech's need to work on his p.g. game pales by comparison.

I think this is because Meech, perhaps by default, is the most reliable one out there at this point. He has numerous big games under his belt. He's been there many, many times where others have not. He might get lost in a play now and again, but not in the game.

He has starred in some games, won one NCAA game & assisted in another his first two years. I don't think anyone has had more p.t. and no one has suffered less injuries. talk about reliable physically. He's tops.

But compare this to the alternatives, whoever might take his place, and you get someone who's barely out of high school or even Juco, and throw him cold into a HUGE game and the biggest crowd probably in his lifetime, color in a hostile crowd, and suddenly our game plan is to hope for a miracle. This will change with time.

But we have no time.

Given that reality, I think I'm going to worry more about who takes MB's place and who is going to take charge, be the leader and lead, on the floor, during the game. Because without it, it could get chaotic. I believe that leadership role has been assigned to Steven. I believe RS or EH could proide much leadeership, too, by example. But it's a bigger question, at this point in time, imo, compared to DG.

It has to be someone who leads. Even if Meech were atop his game, I'm not sure he could outrank any of the above three mentioned as a team leader. He could run the plays, of course, and drive and dish etc etc., with or without them. But what about the rest of the players? and the team ?

He will, however, outhustle them all, on both sides of the ball, and likely play more minutes and produce in many, many ways without necessarily being the quarterback. I'm not so sure about the rest. that is why coach is talking about moving athletes in and out.

And I suggest Meech can and will do most of his job with good, reliable, results, whle simultaneously working on his ball management game, and on shooting when necessary to keep the other guys honest.

Frankly, many if not all of the others on the roster don't have any aspect of their game down to a solid, reliable, performance level, so far.

Except perhaps EH, but now he's got a shoulder issue, so we have to wait and see what happens. Few was very high on RS, and that was my happiest moment when Few bragged about how good RS has looked in practice.

But after watching this big, strong man, last year, I think even he would agree, he, too, has more to prove under fire, in combat, against some of the best in the country, when it counts, than Meech.

Nevtelen
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
This is exactly why all that hype is just hot air. I've been nervous about this season since March. I really hope someone steps up, but a few weeks of practice just isn't enough time for that to happen IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Stockton sees some minutes this season, honestly. Hey, Olynyk played PG in HS...

*sigh*

I think we should all send Elias 'get-well-soon' cards.

ronh_pm
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Last week (wispful) conversations mentioning "best ever" and "final four".

Now there is uncertainty if there is a guard capable of getting the ball past
the time line, if there is a leader, and who is consistent enough to come off the bench.

Lets find somewhere in the middle and get ready for a great season of ball!

sdzag
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Are we going to be like Georgia Tech last year where they had a great inside presence and no one to get them the ball?

WeSayZed
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
The backcourt is a serious concern. Nobody is stepping up. To highlight this, from the neck up the best guard is David Stockton. That's how real the concern is. Confidence issues, getting up to speed in D1, being too casual... It is a genuine work in progress that needs to get off to a strong start but thus far is behind the curve. Fans better hope like hell a couple guys take the bull by the horns and step up. And that goes for Steven, too.

The frontcourt is a legit strength. Very positive news regarding this area.

In short, there are worries at the top.

I guess I'm just confirming what y'all have already heard and read between the lines from Few's statements.

With SDSU, KSU and Duke/Marquette very early on, priority #1 is finding ways to prod the guards and wings into raising their level of play, and fast.

That'll be all, thank you.
I知 not worried about the SG spot. We know what Gray can do and now that his play is over I知 sure he値l be more focussed, and Manny doesn稚 practice well but we know he plays very well. It痴 the PG spot I知 concerned about. If Goodson is still struggling and Carter is adapting slowly then we have a problem. Few mentioned in one of those interviews that Gray can play PG, so that may be plan C for us. It may not be a bad one either, but it would leave us thin until some of the young guys come around.

WeSayZed
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Nothing wrong with David's brain. If he could be quick, an average shooter and run the team...what's so wrong with that? Somehow, it's hard to believe Meech...after his past few years cannot manage. Could he be worse than last year!!! He did ok...not a star but he did ok.
Carter's bothered me...just not quick and he seems to have the casual friendly JC attitude...plus and he's be facing a daunting offense to manage...takes time.

Good thing we've got this hard core front line.

Gray should know the offense by now...David Stocks must be brought along...if he's got the brain to run the offense...he's worth a second or third look. He might frow into the job. Brains mean everything in the PG slot. He's got good ballhandling skills.. Just MHO.
Steve Sax Syndrome? He regressed in pretty well every major category last year. I知 not sure how else to explain that. Maybe the pressure of being a full time starter got to him.

VaBeachZAG
11-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I am just not buying any attempts on this board to deflect the serious concerns by the coaching staff over the back court by saying we have concerns everywhere. It seems to me on a team position comparative basis, the coaches are saying the back court is our greatest weakness by far. And we all know the greatest weakness in the back court is the PG position.

I really hope the coaches can find some answers before SDSU and KState come along. All the PGs (including Stockton) should get lots of playing time this Friday and lets see who can produce.

cjm720
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Bouldin was great and we missed on 2 point guards between 08/09 and 09/10, so frankly it's not a surprise that it would be a concern.

That said, I think we'll be more than fine...someone will step up like every year. My money is on meech and Arop which will allow Gray to do what he does best.

Go Zags!!!!!!

dim4sum
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Very disheartening news. Wish we could make player swaps--say Meech for Freddie Wilson of SU. Wilson generates electricity in the offense/ scores, distributes,etc., although at this stage a bit of a turnover machine.
With Meech at the helm the offense lapses into the dead zone. Meech doesn't make many mistakes, but then again, based on last year, doesn't make the offense flow either. I hope Elmore's comments weren't the kiss of death.
The door is open Mike Hart. Step Forward.

sittingon50
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Go Cougs.

Ekrub
11-02-2010, 01:11 PM
but but but, Ronald Nored....

I'm not worried. Meech will do ok, Steven Gray has proven himself over the last three years, Harris is a beast, KO looks solid, and Sacre needs improvement but is no slouch.

Ezag
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Last week (wispful) conversations mentioning "best ever" and "final four".

Now there is uncertainty if there is a guard capable of getting the ball past
the time line, if there is a leader, and who is consistent enough to come off the bench.

Lets find somewhere in the middle and get ready for a great season of ball!

A lot of this uncertainty has been in the back of my mind and others here but I think after hearing it from Few this week, the reality of this issue has been confirmed.

CDC84
11-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I still say that we should be more concerned about Meech, Carter and Gray knocking down outside shots than we should be concerned about them running the offense, playmaking and passing like the great Gonzaga backcourts of the past. If those guys knock down shots, they won't have to pass like Matt Bouldin or make plays like Matt Santangelo to get the big guys the ball.

The one thing they must do - which BZ addressed in his post - is not be casual with the basketball. They have to keep the turnovers down. They don't need to be all star point guards to accomplish that task.

cggonzaga
11-02-2010, 01:17 PM
No offense but it's the same thing every year. The coaching staff worries about guys not being ready. Every year somebody steps up when the games start and what was once considered a weakness ends up not being so. I for one am not worried. Meech has proven he can bring the ball up the court. He may not be a playmaker but he doesn't have to be. Just don't turn the ball over. We know exactly what we'll get from Gray. I was hoping for more but we'll see once the season begins. The guards just need not turn the ball over and knock down the occasional perimeter jumpshot.

Its very simple. Get the ball to the guys in the frontcourt and we'll be fine. Any offensive woes could be cured on the defensive side of the court and on the boards, as I think we'll be fantastic in those areas.

The fact of the matter is that Few doesn't have the playmaking guard he's use to having and that scares him. He relied so much on Matt that I think he's maybe too concerned about the guards we have now.

germzag
11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Since we are already doomed...why don't we just pack it in for the season, forfeit all the games and try again next season...comon, who is with me???

BroncoZAG615
11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Very disheartening news. Wish we could make player swaps--say Meech for Freddie Wilson of SU. Wilson generates electricity in the offense/ scores, distributes,etc., although at this stage a bit of a turnover machine.
With Meech at the helm the offense lapses into the dead zone. Meech doesn't make many mistakes, but then again, based on last year, doesn't make the offense flow either. I hope Elmore's comments weren't the kiss of death.
The door is open Mike Hart. Step Forward.

Holy geez.

Yes, let's replace our backcourt with a freshman point guard from Seattle U who tore up high school play with 10 points a game and a current walk on.

This is all because of an 8ish sentence post from Bob that our backcourt is struggling? Didn't we already know they were going to be a work in progress? At this rate, we might as well shuttle in the entire North Idaho College junior college team to complete the dream team started with Fred Wilson and Mike Hart.

spudzag
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a coach looking for the best way to motive his players to me. the will be fine once the ball is tipped.

zagnut2012
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
And also "motivate" his players...

Sounds like a coach looking for the best way to motive his players to me. the will be fine once the ball is tipped.

Look people we have been practicing what 2 -going on 3 weeks? Let's give the guys (players) who read our comments on this board some time to play an actual game or 2 or 4 to "gel" as a unit. Like our Bulldogs always do! I know it is concerning (to some) but take a Prozak and call me in the morning!

Zagnut 2012

zagnut2012
11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
.....I mean "Prozac"...Ha

gozagswoohoo
11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know how to load a musket?

UberZagFan
11-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Gray
Arop
Harris
KO
Big Rob

Uber thinks we should see that lineup more often than not. And forget who the "PG" is--Gray can get the ball up court, he can move it around the offense, KO can be a play maker as well.

MDABE80
11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Back "when"...St Paschals football coach ( Sam Tortorelli) used to win games with one simple formula. He'd find the biggest and tallest kid in school...put him out there as an end. Then he found one kid who was under 115 lbs but could throw a FB very high in the air. Those ends would grab the ball and pretty much outrun the DB's who were smaller.

I'm sure you smart guys are getting my drift. I mean it's worked for old Sam...why not us;)

RenoZag
11-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Nothing like grapevine news to stir the kettle. . .

Why was it again the thread regarding David Stockton as a back-up PG was closed ?

Oh, now I remember: It was unrealistic. . .

skan72
11-02-2010, 02:41 PM
:explode:

Not good news, but, as others have said, it's very early in the season still. I'm not too worried at this point, I'll start worrying if we don't show up in the actual games.

...and after hearing this: Why was GJ recruited over again?

dim4sum
11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Yes, but where are the type A personalities to drive this team?

gum797
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
No offense but it's the same thing every year. The coaching staff worries about guys not being ready. Every year somebody steps up when the games start and what was once considered a weakness ends up not being so. I for one am not worried. Meech has proven he can bring the ball up the court. He may not be a playmaker but he doesn't have to be. Just don't turn the ball over. We know exactly what we'll get from Gray. I was hoping for more but we'll see once the season begins. The guards just need not turn the ball over and knock down the occasional perimeter jumpshot.

Agree cg. Few has never been a coach who brags up his team, its just not his style. Obviously the PG spot is a concern, but lets wait till we see game action to hit the panic button. Some guys are just not practice players, ie Manny, but step up in game situations.

BobZag
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
This is a snapshot of "now." There is a feeling that the backcourt will come together and will be good, and if this were last year, concerns would be much less... But with the CBE Classic starting so soon, and with a team like SDSU coming in in just two weeks, the pressure is on for guys to step up quicker and earlier than usual. I am personally more concerned about Elias' shoulder, but the OP was not meant to convey my concerns. Anyway, the feeling is this backcourt will be good. The question "right now" is, will it be good enough soon enough? As we all know, these types of games mean a ton to schools like Gonzaga (RPI, rsume' for March, etc.) and the schedule has to be front-loaded. Perhaps when BYU joins in next year the staff will dial it back to, say, like last year. I'm probably one of a few who thoroughly enjoyed our 2001-02 schedule, but I'm easy to please soooooo...nevermind. :)

Vulcan logic tells me one guy leaving will not impact the team all that much, especially when everyone else has improved (maybe not as much or as quickly as expected but still...) and upgrades have been added. I have been saying this team will be better than last year's team, and I'm sticking to that. The powers-that-be must've thought so, too, or they never would've assembled such a schedule.

Those who know Few know how he can be. Debbie Downer x5. Several good posts touching on some truths in this thread.

It's a snapshot of now.

In two weeks, November 16, we'll see if the snapshot has changed in time, because it will change.

Reborn
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm with those who are not worried by these early reports about out stengths (post players) and weaknesses (guards). Why is anyone all that surprised by a very early report that says our guards need to really begin to step up?

If Meech is not stepping up and finding his confidence, who will be surprised? I think if Carter is not playing as expected, then there shoule be concern. It is way to early IMO to evaluate Carter. Heck, he's only been practicing two weeks. Why the early desire for sucking blook out of these new players. I think ALL of the new players are guard (wings) so of course they are coming along slowly.

I don't put a lot of stock in these early reports. I believe that when that jump ball goes up, Manny Arop will be coming to play. I do not remember any game last year that I could say he played poorly, and was one of the steady players game to game. You could count on him last year, and we'll be able to count on hime this year. Mark my words.

This early report has not changed my mind in the least, nor has it increased my heart rate or risen my blood preassure. I'm as excited as ever. I've also likeds Stockton ever since I saw him play in High School. He can play Dev 1 basketball. I question his quickness on D some, but He can run a team,like his dad.

gamagin
11-02-2010, 02:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRia1WYFOA

BobZag
11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Nothing like grapevine news to stir the kettle. . .

Why was it again the thread regarding David Stockton as a back-up PG was closed ?

Oh, now I remember: It was unrealistic. . .

Damn mods.

RenoZag
11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
The powers-that-be must've thought so, too, or they never would've assembled such a schedule.

Brutal schedules are par for the course regardless the perceived quality of the squad.

BobZag
11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Few dialed back last year a bit, turned down a couple real toughies, due to 7-8 newbies.

Angelo Roncalli
11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes, but where are the type A personalities to drive this team?

Robert Sacre

seasontixholder
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
The problem at the time of this snapshot is chemistry, stemming from one basic gripe. The beefs are not-so-disguised dings by the coaching staff about haphazard point-guard play, less-than-100% dedication/senior leadership by Gray, and substandard appreciation of practice reps by Arop. Not panic, but disappointment that certain top-talented players are not dedicating themselves to the same sellout mentality that the coaches give to the game this time of year.

The coaches and the coach's families give up a lot, and on successful teams in the past, the team leaders have, too. This year? The gripes tell the story. It goes beyond standard annual coach-angst, and they're not candy-coating things much. Not fatal, but concerning.

bballbeachbum
11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
The problem at the time of this snapshot is chemistry, stemming from one basic gripe. The beefs are not-so-disguised dings by the coaching staff about haphazard point-guard play, less-than-100% dedication/senior leadership by Gray, and substandard appreciation of practice reps by Arop. Not panic, but disappointment that certain top-talented players are not dedicating themselves to the same sellout mentality that the coaches give to the game this time of year.

The coaches and the coach's families give up a lot, and on successful teams in the past, the team leaders have, too. This year? The gripes tell the story. It goes beyond standard annual coach-angst, and they're not candy-coating things much. Not fatal, but concerning.

if that's it, no better time than today/tomorrow for all to dial up the focus a notch and up the ante a click or two...expressed and displayed at the next practice, the next week of practices, the next two weeks.......

sounds like that's what is being asked by Coach Few. Give it to him baby!!!

ridgebackzag
11-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Not buying it. Win it all or bust.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
All told, looks to me like it's simply time for the season to start

BobZag
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
if that's it, no better time than today/tomorrow for all to dial up the focus a notch and up the ante a click or two...expressed and displayed at the next practice, the next week of practices, the next two weeks.......

sounds like that's what is being asked by Coach Few. Give it to him baby!!!

"Use your aggressive feelings, boy."

OZZY
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
If Harris does miss some time injured, I believe that the team is more capable of handling it than last year. With Manny and KO with a year under their belt and Dower now able to play this area is stronger. Monninghoff would most likely get some minutes (he has already been mentioned by many as getting some pt anyway).

Lets see what happens on Friday.

ronh_pm
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
If this team needs to improve playmaking and general passing, then I'm a big fan of using a more balanced line up to maximize these skills.

Carter/Meech as point(whomever wins out)
Gray
Arop
Olynyk
Sacre

IF Harris cannot get healthy this may be exactly who takes the floor more often than the Zags would like.

Also..I kinda get the feeling the Few may not be overly fond of (especially) Gray's and Olynyk's acting careers.

"Steven has a lot of things going on in his life and he likes to spread himself pretty thin,” head coach Mark Few said. “But I’m hoping we can get him exclusively (for) basketball and school here. This team needs him, no doubt about it.”

Not sure how much time it takes away from the court/weight room/team but it sounded to me that he would be happier if Gray was more involved in all three and perhaps less involved in other things?

bballbeachbum
11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
"Use your aggressive feelings, boy."

:lmao: and yes! you know, for good of course

Bogozags
11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRia1WYFOA

FUNNY!
:roll:

Bogozags
11-02-2010, 05:31 PM
IF Harris cannot get healthy this may be exactly who takes the floor more often than the Zags would like.

Also..I kinda get the feeling the Few may not be overly fond of (especially) Gray's and Olynyk's acting careers.

"Steven has a lot of things going on in his life and he likes to spread himself pretty thin, head coach Mark Few said. 釘ut I知 hoping we can get him exclusively (for) basketball and school here. This team needs him, no doubt about it.

Not sure how much time it takes away from the court/weight room/team but it sounded to me that he would be happier if Gray was more involved in all three and perhaps less involved in other things?

You always want the best for your players but from a coaching point of view, he is on scholarship first to be a student and secondly a basketball player and not sure there is enough time during the season to do much of anything else and I believe that is Coach Few's concern. BUT I'm not so sure Coach Few is really concerned about Gray as much we think he is...isn't that called something???

MDABE80
11-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Few said what I 've been thinking for the past two years. Steven MUST focus. It's quite obvious to me that he's not all in the game....basketball game.

yell all you want about having a well rounded this or that...star athletes with his level of promise but make some choices. Many get angry when I say he needs to get his head in the college basketball game...and eliminate other things that distract him. Well...I haven't changed.

Handsome and very pleasant kid. Cmon Steven..we need ya here...here and now!

willandi
11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
:confused:

I think you lift them up by the tail and...Oh, I thought you said Muskrat. My bad!!:lmao:

gozagswoohoo
11-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know how to put a plastic bag over their own head?

gamagin
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know how to put a plastic bag over their own head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlZucIDomw

U Zig, I Zag
11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Robert Sacre

You can't drive a team from the block. Maybe the #3 or #4 if it's Elias and he is healthy and just demands the ball... it needs to be a guard.

Meech gets fired up. He gets in more trash talking and pushing and shoving as anyone on the team. I like that about him.

U Zig, I Zag
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
:confused:

I think you lift them up by the tail and...Oh, I thought you said Muskrat. My bad!!:lmao:

Eyedropper and peach schnapps, if it's a muskrat.

Kiddwell
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Nov. 5th @ 6:00 pm vs. Southern Oregon (Exhibition)
Nov. 12th @ 6:00 pm vs. Southern (Count it!)
Nov. 14th @ 1:00 pm vs. IUPUI (Count it!)

Three wins later (with the Zags officially 2-0), those 120 minutes of "real game situations" will allow the coaches to note the "game strengths/game weaknesses," tweak their substitutions accordingly, tweak their practices accordingly, and get the Zags ready for their First Big Test vs. #25 San Diego State (Nov. 16th @ 8:00pm on ESPN2).

Please. Everyone. Stop biting your nails, and join Kiddwell in a warm chocolate chip cookie and a cold glass of 2% milk.

:]

Zagineer
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Here, Here, Kiddwell! That's a +1 :)

Do you mind if I spike my cold glass of 2% milk with a little Coffee-Mate Sugar Free Hazelnut.... just to spice it up a bit? :D

Thanks for your post, Kiddwell. Honestly, just before you posted I was about to post as a general comment to this thread the old and worn-out line of....

And so, Mrs. Lincoln, other than that, how was the play?

Regardless of the outcome of this season, I have resolved myself to enjoy every minute of it. :clap:

hondo
11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
And Kiddwell may I have 2 of those cookies, Please. They are still warm just out of the oven aren't they? Maybe just a dab of ice cream also?

TheBunnieRancher
11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Just as a casual observer, but Few is always trying to dial down the fans in almost every interview I see him in. He has also stated that he has a lot more players on his squad that have not faced the level of competition rapidly approaching. They won't know until they face IUPUI and San Diego State...two experienced teams with 50 wins between them last year. They have no idea what they will be up against until they are in the middle of it. Only 6 of their 11 scholarship players have a clue. Every year I hold my breath when these Thanksgiving tournaments come hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Past teams, under Few's leadership, have consistently represented themselves well. My prayer for these boys is that, if they do stumble, they don't go into the same tailspin our last group of final four contenders did after losing to Conneticut. I think we will be fine because history has shown that Mark Few knows how to prepare his teams for these early season wars.

kylasdad
11-02-2010, 10:12 PM
It's never as good or as bad as it seems.

Zagineer
11-02-2010, 10:36 PM
kylasdad is a wise man. :)

bulldoginpdx
11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
You know in the end we are all just fans. Regardless if we went to the school, graduated or played any basketball at any level WE ARE JUST FANS. I have read these boards for years everyday numerous times a day and enjoy the ideas and commentary and banter but in the end we are just spectators. The men or boys that do the real work have dreams beyond our own point of view and regardless of what we think or say about them become the men and players that they are poised to be. I for one want them to go undefeated every year in and out and be the envy of the nation but the truth is I'm just someone who loves the team for who they are. I don't have to go through what they do just to play on the team or even make the team. I get to sit back and play Sunday morning quarterback, I get to question the coaches on the starting 5, complain that x or y is not getting enough minutes. Don't get me wrong I like these conversations but at the same time don't fool yourself who you are and what your ideas or thoughts mean in the grand scheme of a season. Good cheers non the less.

VaBeachZAG
11-03-2010, 03:49 AM
All together now, lets sing: "Don't worry, be happy..."

gozagswoohoo
11-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Does anyone know how to find a very large artery?

Radbooks
11-03-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm so glad I have the tags in this thread to cheer me up after reading all of these posts. Oh, those and gozagswoohoo's comments. :)

willandi
11-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Put your arm in a plastic bag that contains a Muskrat that is Schnapped up. Tie it on. The muskrat will do all the work

gamagin
11-03-2010, 07:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqfMNwEagWw

ZagNative
11-03-2010, 07:14 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TNF7WC9mk2I/AAAAAAABMVc/quzumTfrpKY/Manic%20Depressive.jpg

sonuvazag
11-03-2010, 07:17 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TNF7WC9mk2I/AAAAAAABMVc/quzumTfrpKY/Manic%20Depressive.jpg
I am definitely stage 3.

sittingon50
11-03-2010, 07:18 AM
hearing through the grapevine, it may soon take longer to read this thread than CCR's rendition of same.

Nevtelen
11-03-2010, 07:55 AM

That is about the best summation of the cycle this board goes through I have ever seen. :roll:

Ezag
11-03-2010, 08:07 AM
I am definitely stage 3.

I'm at #4

gamagin
11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY&feature=related

willandi
11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm at #4

Too much glue imho.

WeSayZed
11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
How to roast a muskrat? Here you go:
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/recipe.html?dishid=9678

zaguarxj
11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm still at "Shock and Denial." Most of you are way ahead of me in this process. I may need to borrow woohoo's muskrat and plastic bag for the next couple stages.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/businessmanagement/images/06499c.gif

JPtheBeasta
11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
http://home.bway.net/rjnoonan/humans_in_space/nephron.gif

This thread didn't have enough diagrams. This is to distract those of you who are peeing your pants out of fear/worry right now. "Acceptance" happens at about the distal tubule.

BobZag
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Just don't link a youtube video of "Muskrat Love". That song is far more lethal than a large artery anyday.

zaguarxj
11-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Just don't link a youtube video of "Muskrat Love". That song is far more lethal than a large artery anyday.

But a "Muskrat Love" diagram would be ok (although possibly NSFW).