PDA

View Full Version : Scout.com - getting desperate!!

SageOfZagville
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I just got this in my email box. Anyone else get one? They must be pretty deperate over at Scout. I like this new site and its format. Way to go Bobzag and all the others who make this site possible

Dear (my userid)

Scout.com is searching for a publisher for its Gonzaga website.

The site has a base of subscription revenue, a thriving community, and the support of a network of recruiting experts to provide support on the recruiting front.

This position is perfectly suited for someone who loves covering sports, and knowing the latest scoop on Gonzaga basketball recruiting. In addition, hundreds of people make their living covering their local universities or professional teams on the internet. Depending on your time commitment, this can be a part-time or full-time opportunity. Sites on Scout.com have grown from 2000 to 3000 to over 6000 subscriptions.

If you are interested, please email us at info@scout.com. Tell us a bit about yourself, and why you may be the perfect fit to be the publisher of Scout's Gonzaga Site.

Scout will install a new publisher and begin Site training in the next 30 days, so if you are interested, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Scout.com.

Scout.com - Always on our Game

LongIslandZagFan
05-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Scout.com - Always on our Game

:roll::lmao::roll::lmao:

former1dog
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I got that one, too.

What is really funny, though, is I am a banned user over there. (For the life of me, I don't know why I got banned ;) )

LongIslandZagFan
05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I got that one, too.

What is really funny, though, is I am a banned user over there. (For the life of me, I don't know why I got banned ;) )

For the life of me I don't know why I am NOT banned.

OregonZag5
05-24-2007, 11:33 AM
More than just a little desperate- I got the same e mail- they are not going to last much longer and they have no one to blame but themselves.

NorthoftheBorder
05-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I wonder if YouReachITeach will apply for the job ?

ZagNut08
05-24-2007, 11:50 AM
so inticing, they say boards will grow to over 6000 members, I'm sure our one premium member over there hopes so

soonerterp
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I still read that board (this board is easier to use/format though), and it's, um, not very active.

LynetteG
05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I, too, received the same email.

Nevtelen
05-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Me too. I loved how they said it could be a part-time or full-time opportunity. Yeah. Good luck with that.

RenoZag
05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Dear RenoZag79:

Scout.com is looking for a sucka to publish it's Gonzaga website.

The site has a teeny weeney base of subscription revenue, a thriving community of malcontents, and the half-assed support of a cabal of alleged recruiting experts to provide support to rumors and half-truths on the recruiting front.

This ream job position is perfectly suited for someone who loves covering our corporate a--- and pretending to know the latest scoop on Gonzaga basketball recruiting. In addition, at least a dozen people make their cable TV payments by covering their local universities or professional teams on the internet; just ask Skip Bayless ! Depending on your parole officer's schedule, this can be a part-time or full-time headache. Sites on Scout.com have grown from 2000 to 3000 to over 6000 Ponzi sch, er, subscriptions.

If you are interested, please email us at info@scout.com. Tell us a bit about yourself, and how you are the perfect dimwit to be the publisher of Scout's Gonzaga Site.

Scout will chain a new publisher to a PC terminal deep in bowels of Rupert Murdoch's house and begin re-education. . .indoctrination, no, that's not right either. Oh, yeah, "TRAINING" in the next 30 days, so if you are interested in taking full leave of your senses, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Scout.com.

Scout.com - Always On Your Nerves, Never on Your Agenda !!

Angelo Roncalli
05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, if you become a site administrator now, you'll be too late to participate in the class action suit against Scout.

MDABE80
05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Is the other Board a "scout" owned board? I've never really understood what the rub was/is. Just seems the board is mostly unattended. I thought they bailed out because they wanted more scouting, traveling, etc. We couldn't do that so Ang and BZ made this Board. So are they saying they've relaxed their standards now? Sounds pretty goofy from my perspective.

TheZagPhish
05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
If a website disappears from the web and no one is subscribed to see it, does it make a sound? And if so, would it sound like the squeaky, neck-stretched whine of a balloon letting out air?

NJZag
05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Is the other Board a "scout" owned board? I've never really understood what the rub was/is. Just seems the board is mostly unattended. I thought they bailed out because they wanted more scouting, traveling, etc. We couldn't do that so Ang and BZ made this Board. So are they saying they've relaxed their standards now? Sounds pretty goofy from my perspective.

The board is owned by Scout and has no moderators.

Scout supposedly was going to shut it down. They haven't.

The potential for libelous posts to be put up at an unmoderated website ought to concern them. It apparently doesn't.

The class action lawsuit against them has some heavyweight BCS schools' websites taking the lead.

If anyone takes over the GU site for Scout, they better check their savings account to make sure they can both support themselves and a travel budget to become a "scout" of hoops.

Gonzaga is not a large-population BCS school with a football team, and the business model at the heart of Scout would seem to require that kind of school for anyone to make it a "full-time job" as their e-mail suggests.

Bocco
05-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Received the same email from scout and deleted it with out reading, also added them to my junk mail folder.

CDC84
05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
If those bozos would only look at the site hit stats since admin departed, they would figure out that the overwhelming majority of GU posters moved on to a different message board, and that they aren't coming back. Scout.com is just clueless.

It's just like what NJZag says....there isn't enough GU fans out there who post on message boards to make that site have anywhere the near the kind of traffic they're looking for. They were dissatisfied with the amount of traffic we had when we were there, and folks, that site had a lot of traffic considering the size of the school, the lack of football, etc.

soonerterp
05-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I just went over there to have a look see and A LOT of threads that were there a week or so ago are all gone. Now all of a sudden the most current posts in there date back to April. Wasn't that way 24 hours ago. Weird. There is something happening over there and yet it seems like no one is minding the store, in any way, shape or form.

Oregon Zag
05-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I, too, received the e-mail.

NJZag
05-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I was hunting for information on whether Hibbert would declare for the NBA a couple nights ago before the press conference was to be held, and a Google search leading to a Scout article came back with a message that all the Scout servers were down. They may have had crashes or routine maintenance shutdowns since.

There just seems to be an issue of "all sizzle, no steak" with them. If you take a look at their directory of sites, it looks like they cover a lot of teams from A to Z.

http://college.scout.com/

But then start clicking the forums, on a random walk through the alphabet, and it seems like many may have emptied out.

Boston College? no premium board information since March even for football and free boards that look like they have no moderators anymore.

Colorado? Their premium board has topic titles like these:
5/21/07 "Who/What killed the Board?"
5/13/07 "Is there anyone that writes stuff for this website anymore?"
5/10/07 "Did this board die?"

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=148#S=148&F=2898

Florida State? It looks like all the posts are started by the same guy "Bill from Tampa" and have few replies.

Georgetown? It's surprising that Scout even put up a message board because, to my knowledge, there has never been a Scout site publisher for that school. Carlos Doty and Ron Bailey are active for Rivals; John and Dan operate the independent site that's been around longest. I'm not sure when Scout even started a Hoya site. It didn't exist 3 years ago. In fact, I don't think it existed before Scout's January makeover. With the Hoya revival, they must have decided to put up a site without bothering to find anybody to stand behind it as a "real" site publisher. Maybe they figured to just ridethe Final Four wave with a team that might seem conspicuous by its absence from a Scout network?

Kent State? Another unmanned board.

UMass? Yet again, no moderator it seems.

Purdue? Even a big state school like that with a football team seems to consist of a site publisher putting up posts on a premium board and getting a few "views" but no replies.

Villanova? few signs of life.

Wyoming? practically empty.

Xavier? nothing, all boards zapped and gone.

If Scout has sent out e-mails to people who were registered for GU, then it's possible they sent similar solicitations to registrants at other sites. It's hard to figure out what is really going on. The transition last January to boards with a vanilla "look" may have hurt traffic and the "hits" important to advertisers.

Gonzaga does not appear to be alone in having departed from any meaningful place in the Scout network.

kitzbuel
05-25-2007, 08:54 AM
UVa's site used to be really active with all kinds of Cowgirl Jenn updates! :drool: Now they are going with days between posts. I haven't looked to see where they have gone yet.

soonerterp
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Went over to the other board just now and even MORE posts have been deleted. The most recent posts on the board now date back to February.

lothar98zag
05-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Went over to the other board just now and even MORE posts have been deleted. The most recent posts on the board now date back to February.
Nice.

In a perfect world, the scout GU site would have only 1 post: a link to this site. :cool:

soonerterp
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
You're likely right, lothar.

Just to see what would happen I posted a message over there this afternoon that just said "HELLOOOOOOOOO!!!! Is there anybody in here?" and there were 3 other posts from individuals today -- May 25th. The other 2 messages were of a similar nature to mine (one was called "Silence" and the other one just had a bunch of question marks in the subject line).

... AND THEY HAVE BEEN DELETED ALONG WITH EVEN MORE OLD THREADS. Now the newest threads in there are from February 1st.

[EDIT -- I'm going back over there to watch it die. I keep hitting "refresh" just for fun and threads keep disappearing].

ZagSlug
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I guess I will keep posting over there and see if I can keep it alive.........just to torment it.

Kind of like Internet CPR.

If we post some libelous things, will that help the lawsuit?

NJZag
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Pepperdine still has its site publisher, but Scout forgot about him.

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=210&F=1132&T=554604&STO=pagestart#S=210&F=1132&T=554604

This lends some credence to the theory they're conducting a dragnet, trying to come up with "publishers" for their unstaffed sites, and even forgetting which sites still might have a staff.

TheZagPhish
05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Pepperdine still has its site publisher, but Scout forgot about him.

He was in the basement taking care of that roach problem they've been having.

http://cdn.channel.aol.com/pmms/productpagemovies/01/02/1836800

RenoZag
05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Is for the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS. . .

Sort of like Cal taking out an ad in the Stanford Daily.

soonerterp
05-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh hai go lookit what I foundeded! (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/30/is-scout-com-crumbling/) (man I must be looking at too many lolcats).

Several months ago, the Ohio State website BuckNuts left the Scout.com network. Not long ago, another top school's affiliate website left Scout when the Florida website Gator Country departed. And news comes in tonight that WeAreSC, the USC affiliate, has informed Scout they are leaving the network.
(more at the link)

The comments are even more interesting. REALLY MORE interesting.

I wonder if other programs might follow suit. The most active Scout.com sites/forums that I look at are the ones for Maryland (Terp Sports Report), Oklahoma (Sooners Illustrated), and Kansas (phog.net). I lurk on the OU and KU boards but I'm fairly active on the Terps board.

One commenter mentioned the new message board stuff and I'm in agreement with that commenter that that is a huge turnoff for a lot of users. It's gotten easier to deal with since I broke down and downloaded the Firefox browser, but it seems like the forums still have more bugs than a filthy kitchen.

Oklahoma is one of the big sites that may also leave Scout and I thought they were part of the lawsuit as well.

soonerterp
05-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Forgot to add and didn't want to edit my post again:

The forums on those sites are also VERY well moderated.