PDA

View Full Version : OT - Georgetown's Hibbert pulls name from draft

CDC84
05-24-2007, 08:27 AM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=676375

Jerry Green is staying in. Hibbert was a projected lottery pick....surprising and intriguing decision on his part.

MickMick
05-24-2007, 08:33 AM
And there was discussion from some Atlanta fans about him being preferrable to Yi and Brandon Wright. In other words, some thought he was worthy of the 3rd overall pick. Hmmm....how does this affect Morrision's career? Because there were others that had him sliding down to Charlotte as well.

Rubbadub
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Why would Hibbert withdrawing his name effect Morrison's career? Does Hibbert secretly have 2-guard or wing potential? :confused:

NJZag
05-24-2007, 02:20 PM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=676375

Jerry Green is staying in. Hibbert was a projected lottery pick....surprising and intriguing decision on his part.

Jeff Green was instant impact from freshman year, when he shared co-Rookie of the Year honors in the Big East with Rudy Gay, who had been far more highly recruited. His departure after junior year is probably best seen in that light -- he's had NBA potential for a long time.

Hibbert seems to me to be the product of how far a player can go with a tremendous amount of hard work and coaching. One more year could find him still making more progress and adding to his value.

As they looked at impact to team from departures, DaJuan Summers and Patrick Ewing, Jr. seem to have been seen as players who would be able to fill Green's role and minutes.

At the 5, Vern Macklin is still coming along.

Of the two, it was "The 7'2" Experience" who would have been missed the most.

The people who project NBA draft picks have often reversed the positions of the two in estimating how high each might go.

My guess is that Green might go by middle of the first round. I don't know if his position would be any higher waiting until '08 to declare.

The fans are grateful Hibbert wants to stick around to graduate, and that he regards getting as far as a Final Four this past season just the "unfinished business" of someone who wants to lead the team as a senior Captain to a title.

MickMick
05-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Why would Hibbert withdrawing his name effect Morrison's career? Does Hibbert secretly have 2-guard or wing potential? :confused:

Remove Hibbert from the board and the likelyhood of Charlotte drafting a shooting guard over a center/PF increases (For example, Noah moves up a notch and perhaps they would opt for the SG instead when they would have taken Hibbert in that slot) . There was speculation on a Bobcat board that Morrison would benefit more from another "big" being on the team as opposed to another scorer.

NJZag
05-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Remove Hibbert from the board and the likelyhood of Charlotte drafting a shooting guard over a center/PF increases (For example, Noah moves up a notch and perhaps they would opt for the SG instead when they would have taken Hibbert in that slot) . There was speculation on a Bobcat board that Morrison would benefit more from another "big" being on the team as opposed to another scorer.

The experts are all over the map on who Bobcats are going to go for, but theme seems to be big.

http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html

MickMick
05-24-2007, 07:17 PM
The experts are all over the map on who Bobcats are going to go for, but theme seems to be big.

http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html

Thanks for the link. I was going strictly off message board discussions. I can see now that Hibbert isn't even discussed in the top 10. Seems a lot of fans liked him more than the experts did.

NJZag
05-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link. I was going strictly off message board discussions. I can see now that Hibbert isn't even discussed in the top 10. Seems a lot of fans liked him more than the experts did.

He was pretty highly ranked, but most of the 9 draft sites have removed him because of his announcement that he planned to stay in school for senior year. They update their rankings as plans get firmed up by players they thought might leave school early. He'll now move into 2008 NBA Draft projections.

The next week will probably see more shifting of the players in the draft as the needs of each team get a closer look, now that the NBA team's own order of selection is known.

wazZag
05-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Brandon Rush pulled his name per ESPN.

MickMick
05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
One of the discussions involving Noah, Hibbert, and Morrison. Alot of Ammo bashing in here so go in with a grain of salt.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=78#S=78&F=1410&T=527373&P=1

gamagin
05-26-2007, 09:47 AM
made me wonder how adam is doing ? the rookie year is rough in any case, but it looks like the expectations left him little slack and not a great deal of empathy in Charlotte, if that blog is any indication. There are so many variables involved.

MickMick
05-26-2007, 10:28 AM
made me wonder how adam is doing ? the rookie year is rough in any case, but it looks like the expectations left him little slack and not a great deal of empathy in Charlotte, if that blog is any indication. There are so many variables involved.

First thing to understand about Charlotte is that UNC comes first. They all privately wish that former UNC players May and Felton will become superstars. They cannot publicly bash their beloved former Tar Heels (that delivered a national championship to UNC). So guess what high profile player is going to get the blame for the team's misfortunes?

Conversely, If Morrison, Felton, and May were on the Sonics, would Morrison take much heat? That is why I believe that with all things being equal, you take the guy the fans are familiar with (ie. university is in the region).