PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Rose agrees with Zag79

Zag79
05-24-2007, 12:13 AM
;) saw a bit on espn where rose states durant will be the better nba player in the long run. he is way better with the ball, has a much better ability to score from anywhere on the court, AND equals oden in odens best dpts, rebounding (2per game better) and blocks (1 less per game). i understand the argument that oden will be a big time C in the league, but overall i think durant can help you win faster and do more overall for your team. pound for pound who is the better player?

applezag
05-24-2007, 05:01 AM
I'd go with Durant too. I think Oden will be a darn good player, but honestly, I just don't see him being a big-time, go-to offensive post player. I think he'll be sort of like a Dikembe Mutombo, which is no slight, but does that warrant a first pick? How many teams have made mistakes drafting in pursuit of that elusive "true center"? How many teams have been successful without one? I think a go-to scorer is more essential to winning championships than a "true center". The Blazers, I think, see Roy as a go-to scorer. I think he's a great second option, but not a guy whose shoulders you ride to a championship. Whoever they pick, I don't think they are going to have a bust, and they are going to be made significantly better. I just think that Durant is going to end up being a significantly better player.

CDC84
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
I would be stunned if Portland doesn't pick Oden.

The NBA is still big man's game for me, and I don't think Oden has come close to reaching his upside yet. I would go with him - not only because of that upside, but because of what he has above the shoulders. I don't feel he is elusive....I feel he's by far and away the best 5 man prospect this country has generated since Shaq, and that he has the chance to be the most dominant post defender the game has seen since Bill Russell.

I don't expect him to ever come close to having the offensive skills of a Wilt or Kareem...but I don't think he needs to given the other things he does on the floor to change the game. But I also believe that people have not given him enough credit or enough of a pass regarding his hand injury at OSU and how much that hampered his offensive skill development. Sure, it made his left hand stronger, which might help in the long run, but I think he's going to get better and better on offense now that he has two healthy hands.

I think Jalen Rose might be singing a different tune about Oden once he realizes that he and his teammates can't get within 10 feet of the basket because of his defensive presence. I've said this before, but all the foul trouble he got into in college is being overblown - a great many of the calls made against him during the NCAA tourney will not be made against him in the NBA, even as a rookie. The NBA game is called a different way in the low blocks. Plus he has one more foul to work with, and he'll be able to rest more during games, which will help keep him away from cheap fouls.

For me, Durant can have a large effect on the game, but Oden can change it. I prefer the latter.

That all being said, if Portland continues to be a poor organization, and makes poor choices with the players it surrounds Oden with, Greg will be running for a new organization by the time he starts coming into his own. If they draft him, they must make the right decisions that will put them in the best possible position to keep him. Hence, I understand the temptation to go for Durant.

A couple of blogs related to this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=211647

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=200137

sonuvazag
05-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Jalen would have drafted Jalen over C-Webb due to better shooting and ball-handling skills. Durant, most likely, will score more points per game than Oden. Oden will have way more blocks and rebounds and a higher shooting percentage.

BobZag
05-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Wait a minute. Nobody agrees with Zag79. Isn't that a rule or something?

"Thou shalt not agree with Zag79"
-God

MickMick
05-24-2007, 08:37 AM
I don't agree. If both players pan out then Oden is the guy. Having said that, Durant is considered much less of a risk to be a bust.

sonuvazag
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
They both have great attitudes and tons of talent. I expect the Oden-doubters will be surprised by his offensive skills when he matches up against the NBA big men. CDC said it best. His post expresses what I see in Oden's overall potential also. Durant could score 30+ points a game and I still don't think it will solve the debate should we also see the kind of potential many expect from Oden realized in defensive production. Rather expect them both to be franchise-types. Sonics will get Durant. 79 should be pleased in that respect, no?

Rubbadub
05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
The chances have to be about 99% that they take Oden, which is the best choice for them. That being said, I wouldn't really fault them for taking Durant either. I think the best thing they could do is package Randolph with Aldridge or something to get the number two pick as well. :D

beatProgram
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm almost certain that Portland will pick Oden, because I'm positive they'll have learned nothing from, or long since forgotten, their mistake back in the day.

Michael Jordan or Sam Bowie? Seriously. Conventional "wisdom" aside... what the hell?

You don't have to build a team around a center anymore. There have been PLENTY of NBA championship teams who had guys better suited for the PF spot who were just moved to C to fill the floor.

Portland should pick Durant, but they won't.

CDC84
05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
In all due respect, Greg Oden is 4x the prospect that Sam Bowie was. I saw Bowie play quite a bit at KY, and he wasn't even in the same galaxy. If Oden had been allowed to come out after his junior year in high school, he might've been the #1 pick.

History shows that if a team wants to win several championships in the NBA without a top of the line center, their margin for error is very thin. You had better be exceptionally great like the Bulls were with Jordan in the 90's. And no matter how great I think Durant is and will continue to be, he's not going to be the next MJ.

Notice how I said "numerous" championships. Not just winning one during an odd year or something, but creating a dynasty. The game has changed, but I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that the game has changed so much to where anyone can just slide into that 5 man role and expect their team to dominate in a historical fashion.

Zagdawg
05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Living here in Portland-- the buzz is huge-- the majority of the people I have talked to all agree that Oden is the man--

The day after the draft over 2000 season tickets were sold-- (only a few bad 100 level seats left)--

The rumor has it Oden took the tour of the Nike campus here and had a good time--

lothar98zag
05-24-2007, 08:26 PM

-God
:lmao:

john montana
05-25-2007, 08:44 AM
i'm with CDC on this one. durant might even end up with better stats by the end of his rookie year, but oden will have a bigger impact on each game. they are both great players, but i would take oden.

Rubbadub
05-25-2007, 09:53 AM
its painfully obvious if you even try to look through the history of the modern era of the nba that to have a lasting championship level team, you need a spectacular post presence. The teams that have won the championship without one, at least had very servicable big men: Rodman, Wallace, Laimbeer, older Shaq, older Abdul-Jabar, McHale/Parrish, etc. It's "conventional wisdom" for a reason. And with all due respect to the guy, Bowie was no Greg Oden. Oden put up better stats in his freshman season than Bowie did in his senior, against better competition, with only one hand until close to the end of the season.

deathchina
05-25-2007, 06:56 PM
a little snippet of an espn article by chad ford. Ford watched Oden work out a couple days ago.

"Sunday night, after I described Oden's workout to a respected NBA general manager who stands a pretty good chance at getting the No. 1 pick in Tuesday's lottery, the GM had four words for me:

"I told you so."

He continued, "Oden is not just a big guy. He's a big guy with great athleticism and skill. It's what I've been telling you all year. This guy is a lock as the No. 1 pick.

"If Kevin Durant had broken his wrist and come back way early with a cast on his shooting hand, I don't think he would've dominated the Big 12.

"We haven't seen the real Greg Oden yet. What we've seen is 50 percent. That's enough to make him the No. 1 pick.

"If we saw it all, we'd laugh about the Durant comparisons. Don't get me wrong, Durant can play. He may be great. But I'm taking Greg Oden. My guess is every GM in the league will too once they see him up close.""

Zag79
05-27-2007, 10:18 PM

-God

:link:

:D

Robzagnut
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
>saw a bit on espn where rose states durant will be the better nba player in the long run. he is way better with the ball, has a much better ability to score from anywhere on the court, AND equals oden in odens best dpts, rebounding (2per game better) and blocks (1 less per game).

The Sonics are paying Jalen big bucks to say this, then hope and pray that Portland takes the bait.