PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever take our success for granted...it ain't easy

Zagquette
10-28-2010, 07:05 AM
It's good to be zag. Don't ever take the success for granted @ESPNAndyKatz: Davidson trying to regain relevance: http://es.pn/bBS6ma

mdZag23
10-28-2010, 07:24 AM
1. Goes to show you how special a player Stephan Curry was. That team doesn't make the tournament without him.

2. Also, puts in perspective the job that the Gonzaga coaching staff has done. In my book, they get A's across the board for recruiting, developing talent, sticking to a system, and coaching.

gozagswoohoo
10-28-2010, 07:34 AM
I think about this ALL THE TIME!! We have been SO lucky over the last decade. This team has been so easy to root for. BUT...what happens when we have a 13 or 14 win season, not even above .500? How many fans do we lose? What happens to the traffic on this site?

I'm a fan for life, no matter what, but it would be interesting to see how many of the bandwagoners fall off if that happened.

But EXCELLENT point and post, we should appreciate what an amazing job everyone in this program has done/continues to do!

zagsfan21
10-28-2010, 08:17 AM
It's truly amazing what this program has become and has maintained for over a decade. Think about how high level teams have fallen off and out of the tournament for years at a time, teams that have national championships and final fours on their resumes (I'm thinking of Indiana and Illinois off the top of my head). This coaching staff has done an amazing job in recruiting players that fit the system, coaching them to a level that no one would expect them to reach, and doing it on a yearly basis.

CDC84
10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
It was not too difficult to imagine Davidson resorting back to being the program it was before the elite 8 run. In addition to having some of the most rigorous academic standards of any D-1 school (they will not lower standards for athletes under any conditions), the school is located in North Carolina. It's a recruiting nightmare for Davidson because most prep players can't get into the school and there are a million and one BCS schools surrounding them to take away all the top talent.

They really, really lucked out in landing Stephen Curry. It took a transcendent player like him to pull off what they were able to pull off.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-28-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't know that I have ever liked a team that beat Gonzaga as much as I liked that Davidson crew. They exhibited a lot of class on and off the court. They played hard, disciplined, fundamentally sound ball. I was very happy for them to continue winning games, once Gonzaga was out of the tourney.

former1dog
10-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I think about this ALL THE TIME!! We have been SO lucky over the last decade. This team has been so easy to root for. BUT...what happens when we have a 13 or 14 win season, not even above .500? How many fans do we lose? What happens to the traffic on this site?

WHEN that happens (when, not if), we'll still be Zag fans, but I suspect they'll be a few bandwagoners jumping off the ship. So be it.

My first season as a Zag fan (and student) we had 8 wins and 20 losses. I'm pretty sure most of the long time regulars around here were also fans at that time.

The likelihood, though, as I see it is that the days of mediocrity are a FEW years off. ;)

gozagswoohoo
10-28-2010, 10:12 AM
The likelihood, though, as I see it is that the days of mediocrity are a FEW years off. ;)

I agree, and sounds good to me.

Zagquette
10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Casey begot dickau who begot stepp who begot turiaf who begot Morrison .....

The fact that by some miracle ( or not ) we have been able to sustain and develop a succession of underevaluated or unknown elite talent boggles my mind.

Finding diamonds in the rough in the age of overexposure is increasingly more difficult. Elias is just our latest example.

Curry was a once in a generation get for Davidson and he took them on a magical run. While not all of our "diamonds" were of his caliber, they have sustained our run for more than a decade.

When does the line end? Only time will tell..hopefully not anytime soon

gu03alum
10-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I'll take it for granted if I want. Why do we have to be all doom and gloom on the board. Don't hope for a championship. Don't underestimate Southern University. Don't take the run of success for granted.

Look, I'm a fan of the Mariners and Seahawks also. The Zags are the one bright spot every year that I can count on. Don't take that away from me please.

:)

gamagin
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm a fan for life, no matter what, but it would be interesting to see how many of the bandwagoners fall off if that happened.

But EXCELLENT point and post, we should appreciate what an amazing job everyone in this program has done/continues to do!

staying there has had little to do with luck, imo. a good, growing, budget, a healthy paranoia and much, much support from the admin on down, and appreciation for the challenge at hand has kept the competitive, winning, GU basketball in the air.

and as to defections, there were many oldtimer defections when Fitz left the program. There were more defections when the seating in the new K2 went to a bunch of fresh faces (latecomers) who hadn't been seen in decades, if ever, but showed up, ponied up and now sit wherever they wanted to sit.

None of it seemed to matter over time as the Cinderella effect took hold and has continued on. It's easy to back a winner.

But if it disappears for lack of continued great coaching and a highly competitive team and spirit, a well-planned succession, or good management, judgement, or because an administration or board or combo of same decides it doesn't matter anymore, things COULD return to the good/bad old days.

But for the whole party to sag or even end, it would take a premeditated, susutained, sea change against this miracle on Boone avenue. I don't think even GU's worst enemies would wish that to happen, nor could they make it happen. It's been good for nearly everyone, even if it has been galling to a few (diehard haters are out there, too).

The only ones who can drive this bus off the ledge are the drivers. And I don't think that person, or those persons, have been born yet.

But nothing lasts forever. And that is why it is important to not just look forward with great anticipation, pride and joy at what has been achieved right here in River City, but be thankful and mindful that miracles require miracle workers and we need to guard ours jealously.

And, as the thread starter, not take things for granted. I don't think anyone over, say, age 15, takes much for granted anymore.

Or believes luck is anything less than a moment in time when preparation meets opportunity. as long as we stay "lucky," we will remain in the hunt, imo.

gozagswoohoo
10-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh, I totally agree, this run has had nothing to do with luck! When I said 'we are lucky to have this decade of success', that was maybe a poor choice of words. I mean that we are fortunate to have such a successful team to be following. Most teams have 1-3 good seasons, then a few down years, then a good season, then 2 down, etc...

CDC84
10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
If Gonzaga has enjoyed any luck, it's having their school out west and in an area of the country that has a ton of prep basketball talent but very few division one schools.

bullzag23
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
It's good to be zag. Don't ever take the success for granted @ESPNAndyKatz: Davidson trying to regain relevance: http://es.pn/bBS6ma

While Davidson and Gonzaga certainly have their similarities our rise to 'relevance' is different from theirs in some ways. Davidson found one diamond in the rough that led the team to an elite 8 appearance, however they quickly faded into obscurity once Curry left for the NBA. Gonzaga rose to prominence and stayed there because we had an entire group of diamonds, that while they admittedly didn't shine as bright individually(none of them were projected lottery picks) as Curry, they did outshine him as a group. Because none of them were looking at the chance to jump to the NBA we were able to sustain the success we had in that first magical season and gain the exposure necessary to attract recruits that would help maintain that level of success (Stepp, Dickau, Turiaf, etc). That prolonged national exposure helped mold our program into the perennial top 25 team it is today. Davidson was a flash in the pan, but we are Gonzaga!

OregonZag5
10-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Being a very old grad( Birddog knows) I can remember when no one knew where GU was let along how to pronounce it. I do not take it for granted at all- every time at the BIS I look around and get chills with all the Zag people and all those wearing Zag gear, at the venues when it was at the schools and GU would outnumber everyone- even the home team and then in Las Vegas where allmost everyone is wearing Blue and Red( am so old can remember when the colors were just blue and white). And when I wear my Zag gear here, people come up and want to talk about basketball( well there is no reason to talk Duck basketball)- No I will never take this for granted-

It is like I am in a dream- Zags 12 in both polls to start with and my ducks being # 1- ( am duck born zag educated)- life can not get any better.

Of course there are a couple of drawbacks- spending the time and money going to all the GU games and with my duck wife and children ( in fact wife and one child is a double duck) checking plane fares to PHX- could not be happier.

GO ZAGS

bballbeachbum
10-30-2010, 08:39 AM
guess I'm a bandwagoner.

It was the 1999 team that grabbed my heart, and Mark Few and company have never let it go. He's my favorite coach, period. Is he the best coach? I don't know, probably not with Coach K, Self, Izzo and others all in the conversation of course. But I don't care, he's my favorite, and he's damn good no matter how you slice it. For how he goes about it; for changing the landscape of college basketball; for challenging convention in how a successful program exists and continues to exist; for taking on all comers and not dodging competition in the name of what's best for the program (barf! for not being a chicken); for the attitude the Zags represent on the floor which reflects both Few and his staff (soooooo many teams, successful teams and successful programs, are a BIG turnoff because of how they purport themselves); for consistency, the toughest mountain to climb; for winning.

And the players, one at a time, that lay it out to represent Gonzaga, and at the same time grab my heart and don't let go! Santangelo and Hall, Ammo is a great example, as are Errol Knight and Pendo, Jeremy and Meech, Casey and Manny, Ronny and Steven, Richie, Rob, Derek and Elias...the list is seemingly endless at this point.

If all this went away, I might too, I won't lie, because those are the reasons I remain. But I do not anticipate my emotional investment will stop returning dividends with Gonzaga Basketball. In fact, quite the opposite.

This is the greatest bandwagon ever!

GO ZAGS!!!

MickMick
10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Take a look at ZagNative's Youtube link in her signature.

As long as that is happening, the players will come. Gary Bell Jr. was the latest recruit to get caught up in that atmosphere.

Every player that leaves is a potential ambassador as well. Turiaf, Stockton, Calvary, Dickau, as well as several others continue to contribute in various ways long after they have shed their jerseys. Turiaf is an active NBA player that can be seen in attendance of games, Calvary will volunteer to beat up on players to toughen them up :boxing:, Stockton has helped in major ways. The one thing they all have in common is their sincere love for GU hoops.

Zag success is not an accident. It will sustain as long as the current format is active.

Like anything else, change is inevitable. Maybe the University can earn enough of a name brand to pick it self up off the hoops mat when the time calls for it.

Bogozags
10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh, I totally agree, this run has had nothing to do with luck! When I said 'we are lucky to have this decade of success', that was maybe a poor choice of words. I mean that we are fortunate to have such a successful team to be following. Most teams have 1-3 good seasons, then a few down years, then a good season, then 2 down, etc...

I agree...

In this decade alone, four of the top schools of all time: UNC, UK, IU and UCLA all had at least one horrible season where they didn't make the Dance! We have been very fortunate to be able to "keep" Coach Few and his staff for the last 11 years. Two of the "family" moved but the core is there and as long as we have them, this program will remain "Top Notch!"

Zaglaw
10-30-2010, 11:11 AM
There were more defections when the seating in the new K2 went to a bunch of fresh faces (latecomers) who hadn't been seen in decades, if ever, but showed up, ponied up and now sit wherever they wanted to sit.

There were 2000 seats in the old Kennel. There are 6000 seats in K2. There were a lot of people who went to every game in the old Kennel to which they could beg tickets from someone. There were a lot of people who followed the Zags on radio every game or on TV or on the road or at the Arena when the opportunity arose. Why are we treating it as a bad thing that these people now have season tickets? Yes, I understand that it was "pay to play" (or "remit to sit"), but the reality is that these are largely the fans that allowed the MAC to be built. Let's celebrate them! If the Zags are America's team, they are certainly Spokane's team.

gamagin
10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
There were 2000 seats in the old Kennel. There are 6000 seats in K2. There were a lot of people who went to every game in the old Kennel to which they could beg tickets from someone. There were a lot of people who followed the Zags on radio every game or on TV or on the road or at the Arena when the opportunity arose. Why are we treating it as a bad thing that these people now have season tickets? Yes, I understand that it was "pay to play" (or "remit to sit"), but the reality is that these are largely the fans that allowed the MAC to be built. Let's celebrate them! If the Zags are America's team, they are certainly Spokane's team.

"someone" is always angry about "something." Or reads "something else" into "something," like you did, with my post. sigh.