PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga/Texas Scrimmage This Saturday in Denver

CDC84
10-27-2010, 03:24 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/27/secret_scrimmage_list;_more_than_60_on_tap_this_we ekend

Goodman has a list of scrimmages that will be taking place between October 29 and November 7. I see that SMC is going to be playing two of them: October 30 against ASU and November 6 against Cal.

OZZY
10-27-2010, 04:21 PM
There will be some serious Canadian talent on the court at one time, perhaps a National team preview in 3-5 years.

Joseph (Ya I know that most see him as a 2)
Arop
Thompson
Olynyk
Sacre

BobZag
10-27-2010, 04:31 PM
There will be some serious Canadian talent on the court at one time, perhaps a National team preview in 3-5 years.

Joseph (Ya I know that most see him as a 2)
Arop
Thompson
Olynyk
Sacre

With Pangos, that's a formidable team in the future.

These private scrimmages are worth ten times more to the coaches than the exhibition games. Tons of learning and coaching. Work on special situations like pressing, inbounds passes, plays for 10 secs left, 5 secs left, etc. And they can play for as long as they wish. Very beneficial to the teams.

ridgebackzag
10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Hopefully one of the local news stations will have coverage, whether it be post-scrim interviews or quotes.

Those are local scrims for SMC, but high quality ones nonetheless.

ZagNative
10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
My recollection is that one of the conditions of allowing scrimmages under NCAA rules is that they be confidential, with no press coverage, before, during, or after. The press can write all they want, but neither the coaches, nor the players, nor anyone associated with the staff can discuss the scrimmage with anyone not directly involved.

Edited to add, FWIW, this is the rule:

17.3.3.1 Exceptions.

The following basketball contests (games or scrimmages) are permitted prior to the first contest dates specified under Bylaw 17.3.3:

(a) Practice Scrimmage. An informal practice scrimmage with outside competition exempted per Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(h) may occur at any point during the permissible playing and practice season (see Bylaw 17.3.1), provided it is conducted in privacy and without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view. No class time shall be missed by basketball student-athletes in conjunction with such a scrimmage, including all associated activities (e.g., travel, pregame and postgame activities);

dim4sum
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
as I remember, last year we also scrimmaged against Texas and there was a game of sorts, in which Texas won by a few points. Can we expect the same this year, although the rules point to none of that?

MDABE80
10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Hard to believe the season's here again. Fro some reason, this was the longest offseason I remember.
Now we have the scrimmage...surprised us all last year. We actually looked good despite all the new faces. Well, those new faces are experienced now...I have a feeling this crew (even with Matt gone) will go further than last year.

As with BZ, Pangos is always on my mind. In some ways, it's too bad Gary and Kevin won't get getting in this game to begine the process. Good to know we've have some great kids on the way.

hockeyzag
10-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Can anyone remember if we played Texas at the Pepsi center last year? I need help with a disagreement my roommates and I are having.

I say we played them in the Pepsi Center last year, and Thunder Ridge High School the year before that. My roommates say that last year we played them at Thunder Ridge.

Someone please help clear this up, my Gonzaga Basketball knowledge far outweighs theirs and I am almost sure that I'm right.

CB4
10-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Can anyone remember if we played Texas at the Pepsi center last year? I need help with a disagreement my roommates and I are having.

I say we played them in the Pepsi Center last year, and Thunder Ridge High School the year before that. My roommates say that last year we played them at Thunder Ridge.

Someone please help clear this up, my Gonzaga Basketball knowledge far outweighs theirs and I am almost sure that I'm right.

Could be wrong but I thought it was on another court in the Pepsi Center.

Drew
10-29-2010, 05:57 PM
It was at Bouldin's high school at least one year.

BobZag
10-30-2010, 10:53 AM
At Pepsi Center (practice court) last year. At ThunderRidge HS the year before.

RenoZag
10-30-2010, 12:15 PM
produced a few unofficial tidbits:

From Meehan's S-R Blog:

A recap of Gonzaga’s scrimmage with Texas and a few other notes below.

—Coaches and players aren’t allowed to talk about scrimmages, so we’ll offer up a recap as best we can.

Gonzaga lost by three after leading for quite a bit of the scrimmage. The Zags had some turnover issues toward the end as Texas rallied for the win. Numerous bright spots: The Zags took at least 10 players who’ve never scored a point in an official GU game and the youngsters responded pretty well.

Center Rob Sacre scored 26 or 28 points. Either way, that’s a huge offensive performance. (There were two 20-minute halves and another 20-minute session for players who didn’t see as much time.) Elias Harris also reached the 20-point plateau. That’s nearly 50 points out of the ‘4’ and ‘5’.

The Bulldogs came in not quite sure what to expect with such an inexperienced roster against a Texas team ranked in the top 5 of most preseason polls. They left with a better understanding of their capabililties, despite falling at the end.

The rest of the 2009 Scrimmage was covered pretty well in Meehan's 11/09/09 Blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/nov/09/zags-start-game-week/) and included this passage:

Well, it was only a scrimmage, but Sacre was going against one of the best frontcourts in the country, led by Texas center Dexter Pittman. The word was all good for Sacre, who finished with 26 points and nine rebounds, according to sources who had knowledge of the box score.

If Sacre can become a major force for the Zags in the post, they will be able to compete with most teams in the country. He has to stay injury-free, which has been an issue for him.

We remember well how Rob surged out of the starting gate last season; let's hope this year he's got a finishing kick !

Go Zags !

WeSayZed
10-30-2010, 12:37 PM
produced a few unofficial tidbits:

From Meehan's S-R Blog:

The rest of the 2009 Scrimmage was covered pretty well in Meehan's 11/09/09 Blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/nov/09/zags-start-game-week/) and included this passage:

We remember well how Rob surged out of the starting gate last season; let's hope this year he's got a finishing kick !

Go Zags !
From last year's blog:

Sacre’s dad, Greg LaFleur, is the athletic director at Southern University, which is in the same conference as Mississippi Valley State, but he doesn’t have any inside information.
I’d forgotten this. How cool is it that Rob will get to play against the school where his father is the athletic director? This is a very classy move, and I’m very impressed with Few’s attention to details like this.

dim4sum
10-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Rather than have Sacre charge out the gate, creating high expectations after last year's Texas scrimmage, I'd like a little predictability from him, game to game.
No highs, no lows, just a methodical killer, bone-crushing instinct that makes him a much-feared force down low.

Nevtelen
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Rather than have Sacre charge out the gate, creating high expectations after last year's Texas scrimmage, I'd like a little predictability from him, game to game.
No highs, no lows, just a methodical killer, bone-crushing instinct that makes him a much-feared force down low.

Yeah, but the occasional 20+ pt outburst would be a-ok by me, too. ;)

The past couple of seasons, I've thought these scrimmages have been a great preview of how the season is going to go (the unexpected quality early last year, for example). It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it this season. I'd imagine it's probably going down sometime around now (or maybe has already happened).

Angelo Roncalli
10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
So when will get word on how the scrimmage went? I'd have to think it's over by now...

I wouldn't be holding my breath...

CB4
10-30-2010, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Something will leak eventually.

surfmonkey89
10-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Coach Daniels asked us to not repeat what we saw today, so I don't expect anything to leak.

dim4sum
10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
First person to leak wins a lifetime of free office visits to the urologist of his or her choice. Limit of one entry per contestant. This offer may be cancelled at any time.

Bogozags
10-31-2010, 05:31 AM
First person to leak wins a lifetime of free office visits to the urologist of his or her choice. Limit of one entry per contestant. This offer may be cancelled at any time.

Now, if that was for a free spinal tap, then I'd spill my guts...

Drew
10-31-2010, 06:25 AM
Coach Daniels asked us to not repeat what we saw today, so I don't expect anything to leak.

OK, who is checking Texas' board?

WeSayZed
10-31-2010, 06:50 AM
OK, who is checking Texas' board?
I don't know where their main boards are, but the ones I found were mostly talking about Myck Kabongo decommitting.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5745649

maineblackbear
10-31-2010, 07:25 AM
da*n -- did Coach Daniels attend the Dick Cheney school of strategic disclosure? Thats twice we have heard of an event (the lunch in Seattle and now the scrimmage in Texas) where Coach Daniels has asked (and received) non-disclosure.

That is some serious Jedi Mind-tricks, man. (Those are some serious Jedi Mind tricks?-my strong point ain't grammar.)

I have spent years parsing through different posts from the insiders to get a pretty keen understanding of team dynamics . . . but, wow, a tightly fought scrimmage against a team that is going to be top 5 all year-- it would have given us some nice insight into many of the burning questions we all have (specifically regarding point guard) and Monninghoff.

But, wow-- if anything has become VERY CLEAR this year it is that Coach Daniels has promoted a BRAND NEW attitude regarding disclosure. We are getting less this year at this point than we heard in the last ten years.

Good thing? Bad thing? I am torn-- I am selfish, self-centered, I want the info. I am clueless as to how secrecy benefits us--by about six minutes into the first half against San Diego State, our fate is going to be fairly clear. But if someone can clue me in on how this secrecy helps us get to a Final Four I am on board with this. (I used to have incredible links to the team, great info--my sources graduated--now I don't :-(

go zags--mbb

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
That is some serious Jedi Mind-tricks, man. (Those are some serious Jedi Mind tricks?-my strong point ain't grammar.)

Like Yoda's, your grammar is.

BobZag
10-31-2010, 09:06 AM
The staff has always been anal and paranoid, just moreso now than ever. In five days we'll get a glimpse. Meanwhile, there's football, World Series, NBA, Nascar and soccer. That's what I'm watching, anyway.

Bocco
10-31-2010, 09:14 AM

I appears that Coach Daniels has 'a loose lips sinks ships' mindset. I am choosing to see this as a change in attitude and approach brought to the program by Coach Daniels with the goal of bringing a FF and a shot at the national championship to GU.

GoZags
10-31-2010, 09:20 AM
da*n -- did Coach Daniels attend the Dick Cheney school of strategic disclosure? Thats twice we have heard of an event (the lunch in Seattle and now the scrimmage in Texas) where Coach Daniels has asked (and received) non-disclosure.

I have spent years parsing through different posts from the insiders to get a pretty keen understanding of team dynamics . . . but, wow, a tightly fought scrimmage against a team that is going to be top 5 all year-- it would have given us some nice insight into many of the burning questions we all have (specifically regarding point guard) and Monninghoff.

But, wow-- if anything has become VERY CLEAR this year it is that Coach Daniels has promoted a BRAND NEW attitude regarding disclosure. We are getting less this year at this point than we heard in the last ten years.

Good thing? Bad thing? I am torn-- I am selfish, self-centered, I want the info. I am clueless as to how secrecy benefits us--by about six minutes into the first half against San Diego State, our fate is going to be fairly clear. But if someone can clue me in on how this secrecy helps us get to a Final Four I am on board with this. (I used to have incredible links to the team, great info--my sources graduated--now I don't :-(

go zags--mbb

No. Just once.

I don't believe surfmonkey intended for his tongue in cheek post about the Texas scrimmage to be taken seriously.

As for the Seattle luncheon -- it was clear -- if we wanted a "talk" that could be quoted and referenced on the internet -- Coach Daniels would have been happy to provide one.

Nevtelen
10-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Meanwhile, there's football, World Series, NBA, Nascar and soccer. That's what I'm watching, anyway.

My other sports obsession, the Sounders, start MLS playoffs today vs LA! Should be a spectacular game!

As far as the scrimmage, I'll honestly be surprised if something doesn't leak out in a couple days, maybe via the Spokesman blog. We might not get as much info as last season, but I bet we'll hear some general noises on who was good and who was bad. Just a guess based on the past and other reports on 'closed' scrimmages that always seem to pop up somewhere, don't hate me if I'm wrong.

sittingon50
10-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure surfmonkey was "funnin' ".

I thought it was funny.

thespywhozaggedme
10-31-2010, 10:38 AM

Why? I don't get the big deal, we just want to hear some stuff on our guys. I'm not really into making things a bigger deal than they are, seems silly and a little petty to me. Oh well.

Edit: Okay, didn't realize that you were kidding; usually I get these things, opps.

Ezag
10-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Though surfmonkey was kidding there is probably some truth to this....not like we're protecting national security secrets or something...I can't even find out if there still gonna have rice bowls for sale during the games again...

hondo
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't know about rice bowls but at Midnight Madness there is a new pulled pork sandwich which Hondo was the very first customer and I'll tell you it was real good.

RenoZag
10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Don't know about rice bowls but at Midnight Madness there is a new pulled pork sandwich which Hondo was the very first customer and I'll tell you it was real good.

They need to get a banner hung up in the concession stand:

"HONDO RECOMMENDS IT !"

They'll sell out every morsel ; )

GoZags
10-31-2010, 11:03 AM
They need to get a banner hung up in the concession stand:

"HONDO RECOMMENDS IT !"

They'll sell out every morsel ; )

Hondo was the very first customer

Who's to say there was any left?

gamagin
10-31-2010, 11:17 AM
this practice session was closed to all except GU & TX players and employes. Those who are there know it's not their jobs to post to the GUB. Everyone is in Colorado. a neutral site. It's not a quasi-public, Y'all come luncheon with a guest speaker as alluded to earlier.

That said, I can recall many, many years in which the Zags would go begging for coverage for anything.

I recall one of my favorite GU SID's, Jim Glynn, passing out sports news releases all over town about 3-4 times a week. I once made a paper plane out of one of them after he left my office, and was watching it float towards a round file in a corner, when Glynn returned with a correction.

Redfaced, I had to fish the "plane" off the floor (I missed the can) unfolded it and wait while he scratched out a few wrong names and added the correct ones.

"Now it should sail more accurately," Glynn said with a laugh. He knew no one gave much of a damn about the upcoming preseason game with Whitworth.

Now that GU is flush with success & money, and I guess, folks whose job it is to write sports stories on releases and distribute them, I would guess that "someone" in the AD's office would think that a story about a big league scrimmage among ranked teams would have news value for everyone.

Inside the story would be such stuff as length of scrum, game-like conditions and what GU worked on while the same type of things what TX emphasized with its time.

It would not change the national rankings to note who on our team and theirs had a good workout and looks strong, healthier, taller, most improved etc etc., in the early going.

The score, to me, is meaningless, because as I understand it, the "game" is whistle stopped by coaches regularly or whenever the see a need so they can coach their charges during the contest. It is far from game conditions and is not intended to be a real game. Not even an exhibition game. My guess is the only reason to keep score is to keep the interest and motivation up for the athletes, to imitate game-like conditions.

I recall last time, too, that there was a third half held in which all those athletes who hadn't played in the first two halves got some p.t. That, too, is what is generally done in any practice session. Everyone plays.

Afterwards, I recall reading last year, both teams joined in a bbq or a banquet like meal somewhere (perhaps right where they played) and everyone jetted home.

The only things missing in this report are a few tidbits, perhaps a paragraph or two, about who "looked good" and "excited the staff" and "had a good workout," or "looked ready to go" or even, perish the thought, suffered a serious injury (minor injuries being private information) blah blah blah to nurture the starving fans, sports programs & papers.

Hell, I just wrote 3/4ths of this and could probably guess the rest, so it's curious to me why the missing 1/4th would in any way be revealing anything of real import, yet tends to cover the bases without giving away the game.

GoZags
10-31-2010, 11:27 AM
this practice session was closed to all except GU & TX players and employes. Those who are there know it's not their jobs to post to the GUB. Everyone is in Colorado. a neutral site. It's not a quasi-public, Y'all come luncheon with a guest speaker as alluded to earlier.

That said, I can recall many, many years in which the Zags would go begging for coverage for anything.

I recall one of my favorite GU SID's, Jim Glynn, passing out sports news releases all over town about 3-4 times a week. I once made a paper plane out of one of them after he left my office, and was watching it float towards a round file in a corner, when Glynn returned with a correction.

Redfaced, I had to fish the "plane" off the floor (I missed the can) unfolded it and wait while he scratched out a few wrong names and added the correct ones.

"Now it should sail more accurately," Glynn said with a laugh. He knew no one gave much of a damn about the upcoming preseason game with Whitworth.

Now that GU is flush with money, and I guess, folks whose job it is to write sports stories on releases and distribute them, I would guess that "someone" in the AD's office would think that a story about a big league scrimmage among ranked teams would have news value for everyone.

Inside the story would be such stuff as length of scrum, game-like conditions and what GU worked on while the same type of things what TX emphasized with its time.

It would not change the national rankings to note who on our team and theirs had a good workout and looks strong, healthier, taller, most improved etc etc., in the early going.

The score, to me, is meaningless, because as I understand it, the "game" is whistle stopped by coaches regularly or whenever the see a need so they can coach their charges during the contest. It is far from game conditions and is not intended to be a real game. Not even an exhibition game. My guess is the only reason to keep score is to keep the interest and motivation up for the athletes, to imitate game-like conditions.

I recall last time, too, that there was a third half held in which all those athletes who hadn't played in the first two halves got some p.t. That, too, is what is generally done in any practice session. Everyone plays.

Afterwards, I recall reading last year, both teams joined in a bbq or a banquet like meal somewhere (perhaps right where they played) and everyone jetted home.

The only things missing in this report are a few tidbits, perhaps a paragraph or two, about who "looked good" and "excited the staff" and "had a good workout," or "looked ready to go" or even, perish the thought, suffered a serious injury (minor injuries being private information) blah blah blah to nurture the starving fans, sports programs & papers.

Hell, I just wrote 3/4ths of this and could probably guess the rest, so it's curious to me why the missing 1/4th would in any way be revealing anything of real import, yet tends to cover the bases without giving away the game.

"Rules on Preseason Scrimmages (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Media+and+Events/Press+Room/Current+Issues/Basketball+Resource+Page)
The first opportunity to conduct a practice scrimmage is the same day as the first opportunity to practice [i.e., 5 p.m. the Friday nearest October 15 (effective August 1, 2008)]. Further, a practice scrimmage may be conducted at any point during the season. The practice scrimmage may not be included on the institution's published season schedule and may not count against either team's won/loss records.

Only athletics department staff members and those individuals necessary to conduct the practice scrimmage may be present during the scrimmage. Further, the institution must ensure the scrimmage is free from public view and media are not in attendance.

Only prospective student-athletes (and those accompanying the prospective student-athletes) who are making official visits to the host institution may attend the practice scrimmage. Prospective student-athletes on unofficial visits may not attend such a practice scrimmage.

An official score and/or statistics for the practice scrimmage may not be kept. However, an institution may keep score and/or statistics for private use. The institution may not post the score and/or statistics in a newspaper, on the participating institutions' Web sites, conferences' Web sites or any other location. In addition, an institution may not provide the score and/or any statistics to any type of media outlet.

All student-athletes participating in the practice scrimmage are subject to the daily and weekly hour limitations. A practice scrimmage is considered to be a contest. Therefore, participation in the practice scrimmage and any associated athletically related activities count as three hours regardless of the actual duration of the scrimmage or associated athletically related activities."

CDC84
10-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Again, it wouldn't surprise me if a sportswriter or two gives a little bit of info early this week about what took place on Saturday.......(even though sportswriters aren't allowed at these closed door scrimmages either)....

gamagin
10-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Again, it wouldn't surprise me if a sportswriter or two gives a little bit of info early this week about what took place on Saturday.......(even though sportswriters aren't allowed at these closed door scrimmages either)....

I'd be shocked if he wasn't asked about the scrum, what/who he liked and where more work is needed, etc etc., at a minimum. But, yes, someone will ask about the TX practice, unless the sports media is sick from too much trick or treating all week long.

If not, we have a real problem with communications, beyond the legitimate concerns of a closed practice.

Few can talk all he wants about us and, I'm sure, will give limited info and much praise to TX, the coaches and the team. Without revealing a thing or breaking any rules.

MDABE80
10-31-2010, 01:23 PM
My view is that it's very likely that the no. 12 Zags in a scrum with Texas will be talked out in the press. It'll be out...which source is something I don't know. Smart money says it'll be leaked.....like it's really a leak!!

Anyway, we have a new season begining next week. We'll see with our own eyes what's in store for the Zags this season...it's here guys. Doesn't matter what's leaked. It's here....finally!

surfmonkey89
10-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't believe surfmonkey intended for his tongue in cheek post about the Texas scrimmage to be taken seriously.

Correctomundo.

maineblackbear
10-31-2010, 03:12 PM
nothing funnier on this board than watching people getting taken in by tongue-in-cheek posters. Um, today, that was me. Surfmonkey, I owe you a beer.

Anyway, if i had more energy I would track down the results of the scrimmage last year-- some very good reports -- this year nothing. It does seem, for better or worse that security has increased.

Whether that is good or bad is a matter of perspective. mbb

Birddog
10-31-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd be surprised if you could find anything of substance on a Texas board. They're really preoccupied with their lousy football team and three home losses. How bout dem Bears of Baylor?

LynetteG
10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
The staff has always been anal and paranoid, just moreso now than ever. In five days we'll get a glimpse. Meanwhile, there's football, World Series, NBA, Nascar and soccer. That's what I'm watching, anyway.

don't forget the Breeders' Cup!

CDC84
11-01-2010, 08:14 AM
http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/quick_hitters_on_scrimmages_from_this_past_weekend/3524257

TEXAS VS. GONZAGA IN DENVER

BEST PLAYER ON THE COURT: Texas freshman forward Tristan Thompson

- Texas sophomore Jordan Hamilton also played well.

- Rick Barnes had veteran Dogus Balbay and freshman Cory Joseph running the point.

- The best player on the court for the ‘Zags was big man Robert Sacre.

hockeyzag
11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/quick_hitters_on_scrimmages_from_this_past_weekend/3524257

Man I hope we can get more info than this, maybe Meehan can get some more tidbits on the Zags.

FlyZag
11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Sounds like we've got some work to do. It's good to be tested. It will only make us better.

Go Zags!

ZagNut08
11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
If I recall correctly, Rob was our most dominant player in last years scrimmage as well.

BobZag
11-01-2010, 09:00 AM
don't forget the Breeders' Cup!

Yes. Zenyatta!

BobZag
11-01-2010, 09:02 AM

From a TX source with an expected slant.

RenoZag
11-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I noted he said Rob Jones was the best SMC player on the court for their scrum.

FlyZag
11-01-2010, 09:25 AM
From a TX source with an expected slant.

sense makes it, yes.. wise Yoda

Baldwinzag
11-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Nice find, CDC!

Evidently, Jeff Goodman has never been introduced to Coach Daniels.

:)

zagzilla
11-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Sacre reportedly played very well vs. TX in last year's scrimmage too. Hope EH is fine