Vernon Teel, G, 6-4, Sr., Loyola Marymount University
Marc Trasolini, F, 6-9, Jr., Santa Clara University
Drew Viney, F, 6-8, Jr., Loyola Marymount University

BobZag
10-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Poor Billy.

GUDan07
10-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Any doubt Loyola's first place vote was from their coach?

229SintoZag
10-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Any doubt Loyola's first place vote was from their coach?

I believe coaches cannot vote for their own school in this poll.

gu03alum
10-26-2010, 11:18 AM
How is Rob not on that list?

gamagin
10-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Poor Billy.

Billy's in first place !

sonuvazag
10-26-2010, 11:41 AM
My bet is Keary Keating voted for LMU or SMC and Mark Few for the other.

gozagswoohoo
10-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Poor Billy.

That's what I was thinkin....it was just a couple season's ago that he was gettin an insane amount of props for 'turning the team around' and yadda yadda yadda...and now they're WAAAAAY down at the bottom of the list...

*sigh*

U Zig, I Zag
10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Have a feeling we end up with 3 players on that list at the end of the year...

BroncoZAG615
10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
How is Rob not on that list?

Based on past performance, you can't replace any of those kids on that list with Rob.

Johnnygu
10-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Based on past performance, you can't replace any of those kids on that list with Rob.

Do you mean based on last year stats rob doesn't belong on that list yet?

MDABE80
10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
No..Rob doesn't. He took the middle of the season off. Doesn't deserve it...he has two years left to show us "true belivers" he can do a full season of Maui intensity...or even Syracuse intensity. If he can do a full season of hard work, I have no doubt he'll be an AA. For my part...the kid (though handsome to the ladies) smiles too damned much.

Needs to develop a scowl and behave like he's hungry for a FF...at all costs.. If he doesn't get a season long intensity, all isn't lost..but quite a lot of it is.

former1dog
10-26-2010, 01:55 PM

All due respect(to you and to Mr. Trasolini), but Rob was as impactful as Marc Trasolini , possibly moreso.

Similar stats, but Rob played on a better team, with better teammates, and played a much harder schedule.

BTW - This post isn't to suggest that Rob should be on the list. There are some players, like Rob Jones, who might deserve the nod ahead of both Sacre and Trasolini. That is, of course, why they play the games.

BobZag
10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
That's what I was thinkin....it was just a couple season's ago that he was gettin an insane amount of props for 'turning the team around' and yadda yadda yadda...and now they're WAAAAAY down at the bottom of the list...

*sigh*

That first year that Billy did so well was with the previous coach's players. We'll see if he can avoid the cellar this season.

sittingon50
10-26-2010, 02:26 PM
F1, voting is based on WCC performances.

Since everyone has the same league schedule.......

jazzdelmar
10-26-2010, 02:31 PM
That first year that Billy did so well was with the previous coach's players. We'll see if he can avoid the cellar this season.

griers prize recruit for nxt year is stevie kerr's son.....not much to build a program around; more an ivy/patriot league player....

OZZY
10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I think that Traz is on that list also in recognition that he will have a bit more help up front this year. He had to do everything up front last year, rebound, block and score and would have had all of the attention from other bigs. If he as able to play PF he could do more damage against most teams this year

That said, he didn't make the Canadian Senior team, Kelly did, and they played the same position...............

gu03alum
10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Fair enough

UberZagFan
10-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Not saying Sacre should be on or off but IUHO, there's just too many guards on the list. So based on that, Uber thinks Dellavedova should be taken off just based on principle. The annoyance factor should weigh in somewhere. See, e.g.:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5615/97900523crop340x234.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/i/97900523crop340x234.jpg/)

F1D: Rob Jones?? Serious? He hasn't played in two years and when he did play last, while he was good, he wasn't all-conference good.

cggonzaga
10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
These preseason polls are nothing but predictions. That being said I do believe Rob (Sacre that is) should be on that list. I'm kind of happy he isn't though. If I'm the coaching staff I point this out to him as a slap in the face. A little extra motivation.

OZZY
10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Not saying Sacre should be on or off but IUHO, there's just too many guards on the list. So based on that, Uber thinks Dellavedova should be taken off just based on principle. The annoyance factor should weigh in somewhere. See, e.g.:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5615/97900523crop340x234.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/i/97900523crop340x234.jpg/)

F1D: Rob Jones?? Serious? He hasn't played in two years and when he did play last, while he was good, he wasn't all-conference good.

FWIW the Gaels board is reporting that Jones is looking really good in scrimmages and along with Holt is one of the surprises so far. They think he will be starting PF................

mee755
10-26-2010, 04:47 PM
There should be an award for yummiest.

gamagin
10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
There should be an award for yummiest.

dellavedova's mouthpiece . . .

mee755
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
dellavedova's mouthpiece . . .

Yuck! Seriously. Do you wanna make me vomit? I'd rather lick Samhan's ####y.

mee755
10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Sorry. That was vulgar. Drunk posting. Is that a valid excuse?

sonuvazag
10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
This is the foo, right?

mee755
10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
This is the foo, right?

Am I lost?

CB4
10-26-2010, 06:26 PM
How are the Zags not a unanimous number one? Are the coaches in this conference that delusional?

RenoZag
10-26-2010, 07:05 PM
SMC in third ? Doubt it.

Kiddwell
10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
How good is the conference this year? Do the experts feel this is an "up" year for the WCC? Looking at a much weakened Portland (#5) and below, the poll's bottom half seems (to this fan anyway) a pretty weak bunch, yes? The top four, though, look to be competitive. (The Zags, obviously, very competitive.)

So do the WCC's "good'ns" outweight the WCC's "bad'ns?"

Thoughts?

:]

dim4sum
10-26-2010, 08:04 PM
there's a vast treasure trove of talent in southern california--i'm surprised greir hasn't been able to tap into it better. did i misspell his name--sorry if so.

jake
10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
How are the Zags not a unanimous number one? Are the coaches in this conference that delusional?

You can't vote for your own team and someone else thought Loyola or SMC was the favorite or just wanted to mix it up and recognize SMC for their continued success or LMU for their recent rise.

Ziggy
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM

Only in the FOO.............

bigblahla
10-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Rob Jones may be the most overrated player in the WCC, time will tell.

Funny, I never saw Rob take the middle of the season off. I did see a lot of double teams come his way that he had to learn to identify and try to deal with.

Seriously would anybody here choose Trasolini over Rob?

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

GoZags
10-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Here's what I find interesting.

When looking at the "best" 10 players i.e. All WCC (preseason) Gonzaga is joined by three other schools (SCU, SMC and LMU) with multiple players. That's 4 out of 8 WCC schools with multiple players (2 each) on the All WCC preseason list.

When looking at the "best" 50 players in the nation i.e. Wooden Top 50 preseason list (http://www.woodenaward.com/?p=861) Gonzaga is joined by five other schools (Duke, Michigan State, Syracuse, Purdue* and Colorado) with multiple players. That's 6 out of 341 D1 schools with multiple players on the Wooden Top 50 preseason list.

It is my belief that our team is deeper than two guys.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out -- both at the national level and the conference level. Can't wait for 11/12/10.

*Purdue was honored with 3 players listed, including Robbie Hummel who is out with a torn ACL. Gonzaga and the 4 others (Duke, MSU, Syracuse and Colorado) each had 2 guys on the list.

gopackgozags
10-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Funny, I never saw Rob take the middle of the season off. I did see a lot of double teams come his way that he had to learn to identify and try to deal with.

Seriously would anybody here choose Trasolini over Rob?

Rob's inability to deal with double teams led to his downturn in statistical production.

Also, I wouldn't trade one of our Zags for anyone else on a WCC roster. But then again, that's why I post on Gonzaga's board and not SMC's.

CDC84
10-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I wish the WCC higher ups understood how many national writers have publicly ridiculed the conference over the years for choosing to go with a 10 man first team all league team. It should be a 5 man first team and a 5 man second team. No honorable mention. Give the all-league honor some meaning.

Rob's inability to deal with double teams led to his downturn in statistical production.

That and his inability to stay out of foul trouble. That's an even bigger problem. If he can't stay in the game, he's not going to have enough PT to put up significant scoring and rebounding stats. I also argue that the less PT Sacre gets, the worse his bad habits get. He needs to see the floor on a consistent basis.

cggonzaga
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I agree with CDC and Blah. What I think we all need to remember though is that last year was really Rob's first year playing even though he's been here for a few years now. It's still a learning process for him. I personally expect a large year from the large man.

former1dog
11-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Yep, seriously, Rob Jones. Dude's like 28, 30 years old.(jk :D ) He's a grown man.

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/quick_hitters_on_scrimmages_from_this_past_weekend/3524257

ARIZONA STATE AT SAINT MARY’S

BEST PLAYER ON THE COURT: For Saint Mary’s, it was newcomer Rob Jones – and for Arizona State, it was one-time Duke commit Carrick Felix.