PDA

View Full Version : Practice Reports

75Zag
10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
I am curious to know if we have anybody on this forum who can offer "insider" reports from GU basketball practices. I know that Mark Few has his weekly show, and I suspect - with no factual basis whatsoever - that Bob might be able to offer the occasional insider tip, but I am wondering whether we have any assistant managers, towel boys, student interns or other folks with direct day-to-day contact with the team that can offer insights on who is doing well, who is doing poorly, who has a sprained ankle, or whatever. I know absolutely nothing about big time basketball, and for all I know these people sign confidentiality agreements or whatever. But if there are any of you out there, can you offer some tips?

Go Bulldogs!

ridgebackzag
10-25-2010, 07:09 PM
No matter how much I would like the same answers, I don't think anyone closely affiliated with the team would risk their professional integrity replying to your request. I'm not sure what Bob's affiliation is, but I'd be willing to bet it's not being on the staff. Maybe he's just really inquisitive and uses his resources better than we do?

With that said, I do agree that the board is due for another sneak peak into the team. Puh-puh-pleeeeeeeeeease.....

75Zag
10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Ridge, I was aiming my request at folks who may be well below the "professional integrity" level.

As a former $1 per hour work study slave, I can only assume that those who pick up the towels and soiled jock straps of the team might have a comment or two to offer, assuming they can access a computer and have the time to waste on this board between their 3 other jobs.

Go Bulldogs!

ridgebackzag
10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Although "slaves", I believe that they would be held under the same scrutiny. I'll leave it at that to avoid derailing the thread further.

Birddog
10-26-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm not sure what Bob's affiliation is, but I'd be willing to bet it's not being on the staff. Maybe he's just really inquisitive and uses his resources better than we do?
If you're old enough to remember Watergate, just think of BZ as Woodward or Bernstein and his source as "deepthroat". I can only speculate, but I'm reasonably sure that when BZ has one of his irregular meetings with "Deepthroat", it's at the back of a darkened movie theatre, or at something like a "Star Trek" convention where the rendezvous will go unnoticed. Abe and others have been trying to run down his source for years but to no avail. BZ has accessability options that others don't.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-26-2010, 05:44 AM
If you're old enough to remember Watergate, just think of BZ as Woodward or Bernstein and his source as "deepthroat". I can only speculate, but I'm reasonably sure that when BZ has one of his irregular meetings with "Deepthroat", it's at the back of a darkened movie theatre, or at something like a "Star Trek" convention where the rendezvous will go unnoticed. Abe and others have been trying to run down his source for years but to no avail. BZ has accessability options that others don't.

Does "Deep Throat" dress like a Klingon to maintain his anonymity during those meetings?

Birddog
10-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Does "Deep Throat" dress like a Klingon to maintain his anonymity during those meetings?
Possibly, Star Trek conventions are oxymoronic in that the ridiculous, outlandish, and over the top seem to blend in seemlessly. I forgot to mention, "Rocky Horror" gatherings in the original post.

a13coach
10-26-2010, 07:54 AM

Possibly, Star Trek conventions are oxymoronic in that the ridiculous, outlandish, and over the top seem to blend in seemlessly. I forgot to mention, "Rocky Horror" gatherings in the original post.

For some reason I think "Abe and others" would be more successful in identifying BZ's source if they hung around Star Wars conventions. :)

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-26-2010, 08:03 AM

It doesn't take a Rocky Horror gathering to bring out the ridiculous, outlandish and over the top. I once had a room-mate who dressed himself up like Dr. Frankenfurter for a "study break." He wandered around campus in fish net stockings and cowboy boots, scared a few Crimont girls, and then wandered over to the Bing Crosby statue to pose for photographs. In retrospect, I'm surprised that nobody called campus security.

BobZag
10-26-2010, 08:22 AM

This is most illogical. I have never, and I will never, get my info from Linda Lovelace or John Holmes, especially since they are dead. Most illogical, undeed.

Lurknomore
10-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Bob....is a...Ninja!

JLGutrocks
10-26-2010, 10:27 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/JLGutrocks/m_11873.jpg

BobZag
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
That's Hondo! lol.

mee755
10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/JLGutrocks/m_11873.jpg

If I recall correctly, you have previously posted that pic as your very own. I'm sure BZ is a much more attractive man.

thespywhozaggedme
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I am curious to know if we have anybody on this forum who can offer "insider" reports from GU basketball practices. I know that Mark Few has his weekly show, and I suspect - with no factual basis whatsoever - that Bob might be able to offer the occasional insider tip, but I am wondering whether we have any assistant managers, towel boys, student interns or other folks with direct day-to-day contact with the team that can offer insights on who is doing well, who is doing poorly, who has a sprained ankle, or whatever. I know absolutely nothing about big time basketball, and for all I know these people sign confidentiality agreements or whatever. But if there are any of you out there, can you offer some tips?

Go Bulldogs!

+1, this is like my crack; well, besides real crack (j/k) :-)

sittingon50
10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
So what was the topic again?

75Zag
10-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Apparently the answer to my initial inquiry is "no". Too bad, as in my experience the best information comes from the mouths of the little guys around the edges. Nothing like hearing from the stable boy that "Magnificent" has a hairline fracture before you lay down 3 months rent at the "win" window.

The lovely Mrs. '75 says that my 2nd post suggested that work study slave/students have a lower standard of conduct than assistant coaches who make 150K per year. I did not mean to demean the reputation of work study students, since I was one of them a long, long time ago. If I was not such a gentleman, I would note that the lovely Mrs. '75 and her 5 siblings attended GU on the we-are-really-really-rich scholarship program. But that would be beneath my dignity.

To each his own.

PS - if you are a frustrated towel boy wanting to spill the dirt on GU BB - and assuming you have not signed a confidentiality agreement - send me a PM!

Go Bulldogs!

mee755
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Apparently the answer to my initial inquiry is "no". Too bad, as in my experience the best information comes from the mouths of the little guys around the edges. Nothing like hearing from the stable boy that "Magnificent" has a hairline fracture before you lay down 3 months rent at the "win" window.

The lovely Mrs. '75 says that my 2nd post suggested that work study slave/students have a lower standard of conduct than assistant coaches who make 150K per year. I did not mean to demean the reputation of work study students, since I was one of them a long, long time ago. If I was not such a gentleman, I would note that the lovely Mrs. '75 and her 5 siblings attended GU on the we-are-really-really-rich scholarship program. But that would be beneath my dignity.

To each his own.

PS - if you are a frustrated towel boy wanting to spill the dirt on GU BB - and assuming you have not signed a confidentiality agreement - send me a PM!

Go Bulldogs!

You may need to pony up something. Tit for tat, you know? ;)

willandi
10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
You may need to pony up something. Tit for tat, you know? ;)

I saw a girl that had that ya know...tit for tat!!

BobZag
10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd love to report on who is looking great in practices and who isn't, but lips are sealed and we all will see the guys in 9 days, so I've just never felt the urgency to go snooping around this year. We pretty much know what we have coming back, plus it looks like Carter and Monninghoff will be factors this season while Keita and Hyland may take a while. But I have no problem waiting a little over a week to see.

Robzagnut
10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
But I have no problem waiting a little over a week to see.

Seahawks must be winning this year.

maineblackbear
10-27-2010, 11:14 AM
so, what is the story behind "don't be a mother hen." your signatures are usually spot-on call-outs to the team (Be tough, etc)-- this one seems to be aimed at the coaching staff.

So, are you suggesting that success lies in a more hands-off approach? That Coach Few, a well-known negative motivator, needs to let the talent rise to its own top, rather than forcing the issue?

mbb

kitzbuel
10-27-2010, 11:17 AM
...but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ...

- Allen Iverson

hondo
10-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't have any red shoes.

kylasdad
10-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Maybe u don't have red shoes but I bet ur wife does! Besides, arent u color blind?

gamagin
10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't have any red shoes.

or Dorothy ?

HOOTER
10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
it looks like Carter and Monninghoff will be factors this season while Keita and Hyland may take a while.

There ya go. Insight from the man. Isn't that what y'all were looking for? :D

BobZag
10-29-2010, 09:00 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=30522

gamagin's notes.