PDA

View Full Version : OT: Austin Daye to start for Pistons

ridgebackzag
10-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Please move eventually, I'm simply too excited to let this thread live and die in the Old Dogs section.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5726383)..

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Austin Daye has earned a starting job with the Detroit Pistons.

Coach John Kuester said Monday he expects to start the 6-foot-11, 200-pound Daye at power forward. Detroit opens its season at New Jersey on Wednesday night.

Daye averaged 5.1 points per game last season as a rookie, but the Gonzaga product was impressive this preseason, playing more minutes than anyone on the team and averaging 15.9 points.

Although it's due to an injury, congratulations to Austin! I'll be watching the Pistons a lot more this year. Hopefully he can cement himself as a solid player in the league with this chance.

Kiddwell
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
6-11, 200 lbs and POWER forward seems a bit...off kilter. Nevertheless, really happy for Austin. Hope those NBA bigs don't beat him up too much. :)

:]

sittingon50
10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Great job, Austin.

GUDan07
10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Its my understanding that he would have been the starter regardless of injury. He had a monster preseason. Imagine if this guy was getting ready to start his senior year at GU.

CDC84
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Austin supposedly did an excellent job defending Zach Randolph the other day.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2010/10/25/1773138/austin-daye-earns-starting-spot-for-detroit

He began the game battling the burly Zach Randolph (Michigan State), who's at least 50 pounds heavier. Daye's length and effort frustrated Randolph, who had only two field goals and three rebounds.

It wasn't for a lack of aggressiveness on Randolph's part, either. He banged and bumped Daye all over the court in the first half. Last year, Randolph averaged nearly four offensive rebounds.

U Zig, I Zag
10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Stockton doesn't count, since he is from a bygone era and hard to match up against... but Austin will be the best Zag in the NBA, def this year and maybe for some time to come. Love some Elias but Austin has a lot more upside with the handles and outside shot. He just needs to gain 20-40 pounds. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfloZwouFEM

all things exactly the same and Austin on this upcoming Zags team we would be pre-season top 5 for sure and certainly in the running for an NC.

I know he whined a bit ;) but I loved 'em anyway.

*edited to add this summer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_R7i_likBM&feature=related
He plays like the 6'1" kid in HS that was, at the end of the day, somehow really, really good at getting the ball in the hoop... except he is 6'11" and plays for the Pistons.

gu03alum
10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm excited for Austin and I think he is due for a big year this year. I know Ronny is a center, but it would be fun to see those two match up against each other (maybe if Mozgov is in at the same time) since their skills are basically polar opposites.

former1dog
10-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Some thoughts on Austin Daye.

* I didn't like the fact that he left Gonzaga after 2 years. Mostly because I thought it was hurting our team that he left but a little because I didn't think he was ready and was making a mistake.

* I was absolutely wrong about him being ready. He was ready for the commitment of all basketball, all the time. The Pistons were ready to let him develop for a year. He was a quick study and leaving early was the best thing Austin could have done for his basketball career.

* Austin is a better basketball player for having left early than if he would have stayed. There is no way he had the resources to improve as much as he has in as short of an amount of time had he stayed at Gonzaga. Of course much less than 1% of all elite players not in the NBA already would have been given the chance that Austin got.

* I highly doubt we'll ever see Austin gain 30 to 40 lbs of muscle. Another 10 lbs or so should do it. He's already improved his strength to the point that is no longer a big problem for him. A small problem, yes, but no longer a big problem.

HOOTER
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
6-11, 200 lbs and POWER forward seems a bit...off kilter. Nevertheless, really happy for Austin. Hope those NBA bigs don't beat him up too much. :)

:]

Dang, I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs. That dude is skinny! I hope he takes those oversized NBA bigs to school!

ridgebackzag
10-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Some thoughts on Austin Daye.

* I didn't like the fact that he left Gonzaga after 2 years. Mostly because I thought it was hurting our team that he left but a little because I didn't think he was ready and was making a mistake.

* I was absolutely wrong about him being ready. He was ready for the commitment of all basketball, all the time. The Pistons were ready to let him develop for a year. He was a quick study and leaving early was the best thing Austin could have done for his basketball career.

* Austin is a better basketball player for having left early than if he would have stayed. There is no way he had the resources to improve as much as he has in as short of an amount of time had he stayed at Gonzaga. Of course much less than 1% of all elite players not in the NBA already would have been given the chance that Austin got.

* I highly doubt we'll ever see Austin gain 30 to 40 lbs of muscle. Another 10 lbs or so should do it. He's already improved his strength to the point that is no longer a big problem for him. A small problem, yes, but no longer a big problem.

+1. The $1,677,840 (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-player-salaries/year/2009/) he made last year would be enough for me to leave college early. I've been firmly on his bandwagon since he came to GU. The attitude was something I despised, but he had the most upside of anyone on the court every time he played.

former1dog
10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
The attitude was something I despised, but he had the most upside of anyone on the court every time he played.

I think the divergent opinions at the time about Austin's "attitude" was that it either showed a bad egg or that he was just mad at himself and was showing passion. In light of the work ethic he has clearly demonstrated with the Pistons, the latter description of his attitude is getting some vindication.

skan72
10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't have cable, satellite, digital, etc. Anyone who saw Austin in preseason games, has he put on some muscle/weight?

Beer_Engineer
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Hope his contributions improve them here...

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

kitzbuel
10-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Austin is a starter for Detroit.

Daye averaged 5.1 points per game last season as a rookie, but the Gonzaga product was impressive this preseason, playing more minutes than anyone on the team and averaging 15.9 points

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14188065/f-austin-daye-earns-starting-spot-for-pistons/rss

MickMick
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't know how he is gonna hold up in that long season. He seems fragile compared to some of those behemoths he will be banging with.

germzag
10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Not bad for a skinny 200lber..at the four. Wish Ammo could have found a team like Daye did, which believes in him. Daye might very well end up scoring 15 to 20 points per this season if his playing time keeps up. Ultra-talented player.

JPtheBeasta
10-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I think the weight issue gets too much attention. Nobody is saying that Kevin Durant needs to gain weight. Heytveldt gained weight and lost some of his explosiveness and athleticism. Daye already is a little lacking in that area. A bigger Daye= Rasheed Wallace, to me. At power forward, Daye may get tired quicker than his heavier opponent, but his length helps him compensate for this. Weight doesn't necessarily equal strength, the latter of which is most important. Stay small(ish) Daye, and you can stay that hybrid 3/4 that makes you a unique player.

CDC84
10-26-2010, 08:54 AM
The issue with Austin has never been about weight. It's been about toughness. It looks as though he's starting to understand that incidental contact is a part of the game. I think as long as he embraces the contact, he's going to be fine.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Austin supposedly did an excellent job defending Zach Randolph the other day.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2010/10/25/1773138/austin-daye-earns-starting-spot-for-detroit

Is Randolph the guy from Michigan State who more or less outmuscled Casey Calvary in Calvary's last game? If Daye can hang with him, he's more ready than I ever thought he'd be.

Zag 77
10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't watch the NBA. Does Austin still make pouting and whining gestures to the refs? If he has quit doing those things, it would be a sign of maturity having finally arrived. If not, then it is one more reason not to watch the NBA.

gamagin
10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't watch the NBA. Does Austin still make pouting and whining gestures to the refs? If he has quit doing those things, it would be a sign of maturity having finally arrived. If not, then it is one more reason not to watch the NBA.

more on the GUB than in reality. TV shots of him over and over added to a picture of a fellow who couldn't get himself under control.

While featured on TV, they seemed more like snapshots, to me, when I was watching him live. At least when I looked for them as a weakness, or dangerous sign of immaturity or adversely affecting his game. They didn't.

As often as not AD would be blaming himself or chewing himself out and that, too, was interpreted as him being some kind of baby, whining about a call or whining about "something". Not all the time but more often than not, imo.

How else could he have been looking like he was on the verge of lying down and bawling one minute, and be back in the game, fully engaged defensively, and stealing an inbound pass, or stealing the ball and scoring, the next.

Clearly he was a quick study about dwelling on something that he had just complained about. But the pictures and the comments lived on. and on.

And that was the difference between AD and other alleged whiners I've seen whose whines wound up as excuses for losing. AD's "tantrums," instead, were learning moments of an intense, incredible athlete getting ready for the next level in a big hurry.

I think it was mostly part of his act. And he could be a poor actor at times and needed to temper his real anger from the faux call for sympathy. If memory serves, no matter what kind of face he made, he was back, fully engaged, in the next series. Every time. There was no moping.

His signature, cat-quick defensive moves, both against in-bounders and shooters, happened suddenly (it seemed), and was repeated quite a few times at GU, and is now being celebrated as one of his NBA strengths, as it should be.

And no one mentions anything (that I've read) about his being a crybaby in any way. Quite the opposite. He's considered a gamer with a bright future in the bigs.

ZagNative
10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I agree with gamagin wholeheartedly in everything he said, in that it was clear to me that Austin's reactions some interpreted as acting out were really expressions of frustration with himself.

New rules in the NBA will quickly discipline him out of any overt reactions to fouls called on him, as he learned when he got a technical in a recent game for merely clapping his hands in frustration, resulting in a $2,000 fine, described in a post on the Old Dogs forum (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=595021#post595021).

CDC84
10-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I heard Jay Bilas say the same kind of thing on more than one occasion when he announced Zag games.

ZagsGoZags
10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I have never understood, nor has it been satisfactorily explained, why Daye did not get more starts and playing time his sophomore year

Other comparable talents, Ammo, Dickau, Turiaf, did. Sean Mallon was given more starts than AD.

titopoet
10-27-2010, 07:20 AM
I have never understood, nor has it been satisfactorily explained, why Daye did not get more starts and playing time his sophomore year

Other comparable talents, Ammo, Dickau, Turiaf, did. Sean Mallon was given more starts than AD.

Huh? His sophomore year he started 33 of 34 games, (the only one he didn't start was senior night and Ira started instead.) He had 26.3 minutes, 5 more than Mallon's senor season. He did have a tendency to get into foul trouble, which explains most of the playing time. I don't think he could have gotten more PT with his foul problems, like only played 19 minutes against WKU because of foul trouble. As to the starts, only way he could have increased those would have been to start senior night, and keeping a senior from starting.

ZagsGoZags
10-27-2010, 09:04 AM
I stand corrected. I must have blurred his frosh yr with his soph year, and my emotions of always wanting him to have more playing time. I do think he had less playing time than merely foul trouble caused, and that he and his dad thought he should have more PT.

webspinnre
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
If he'd stuck around for his junior season and stayed out of foul trouble, he'd easily have been in the 32mpg neighborhood. For a sophomore who had foul trouble, 26 per game is pretty reasonable.

NJZag
10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20101027&Category=SPORTS03&ArtNo=101027073&Ref=AR&Profile=1051&MaxW=320&MaxH=300&Q=100&mime=jpeg

Box

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/boxscore?gameId=301027017

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/00720/Pistons_Nets_Basket_720543l.jpg
New Jersey Nets' Derrick Favors, top right, puts up a shot over Detroit Pistons' Austin Daye (5) during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2010, in Newark, N.J. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/recap?gameId=301027017

NEWARK, N.J. -- This certainly wasn't the same old New Jersey Nets.

New owner, new coach, new building, new roster and something totally different, a win to kick off the season.

Anthony Morrow hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 26 seconds to play and the Nets gave Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov a win in his first game as their owner, 101-98 over the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday night.

"Nothing is really perfect but this was a beautiful ending," new coach Avery Johnson said. "If this was a movie, for a team coming out of a situation we were coming out of, for a new team coming together, it's a beautiful ending."

Close game.

gopackgozags
10-27-2010, 07:21 PM
in other news, Ronny had 4 blocks tonight!