PDA

View Full Version : Add another big to the top of our wish list

SLOZag
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
"Watching high school standout Nick Madray pull up for a mid-range jumper you can’t help but picture him draining shots over a pro. First step to realizing his basketball dream — attend Findlay Prep.

The Stephen Lewis forward (from the Toronto area) is one of the newest recruits to the elite program located in Las Vegas. It was his play with Team Takeover Canada [AAU team] that had initially sparked Findlay’s interest in the Mississauga-native.

The 16-year-old played only a single season of senior level basketball but the experience with his AAU team this summer garnered the attention of scouts. While competing in the ESPN Super Soph camp he showed off the versatile skill set recruiters found so enticing.

“We travelled all over the States and that’s when I realized [my potential] when [college] coaches came up to me and started asking me what my name was,” said Madray.

Though the six-foot-nine forward now has the attention of a number of NCAA Division 1 schools it was not long ago he was still a work in progress. Having never played organized basketball before high school there was much work to be done before he’d be considered a top talent.

At the 5th Annual Axemen Invitational he showed off his long range stroke winning the three-point contest while being named to the tournament all-star team. The sophomore continued the strong play throughout the season and was recognized as a top 20 Peel Region player.

“He learned to bang with big players and it’s really given him confidence, because he’s no longer just using his height to just jump over players, so he now has to use everything we worked on,” said Grewal.

Even after moving up to the senior team so quickly, the Peel Region all-star still wasn’t reaching his full potential. One of the factors holding him back was the competition he was facing on a daily basis — or the lack there of.

“The kind of intensity they have there [Findlay Prep] is so different from here,” said Madray. “They train so much harder, they have better competition, the scouting system is just so much better and it will definitely help me out.

“I’ll come back a better player.”

Possessing a unique skill set that includes a deadly outside shot, the combination of shooting and size has made Madray a highly touted prospect amongst NCAA Division 1 schools. Having already received interest from the University of Virginia, Gonzaga University, UNLV, University of Santa Clara and Boston College he is closer to realizing his (dream).“

http://www.torontoobserver.ca/2010/10/25/findlay-prep-finds-diamond-in-the-rough/ This guy might be too much in demand in a year or so, but for now I'm pleased Few is on him.

cjm720
10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Wow nice find.
Lock him up, Few!

ZagNut08
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Once a recruit goes to Findlay Prep, I don't like our odds.

75Zag
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Once a recruit goes to Findlay Prep, I don't like our odds.

Has GU ever landed a kid from there?

Always a first time I guess.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Wherever that kid goes, he will be more than physically ready to play D-1 basketball. He's got some serious guns on him for a 16 year old.

skan72
10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Never heard of him before now, good find! The Canadian connection can't hurt us, but as everyone else has mentioned, Findlay Prep boys just seem to go to stick to high-majors. Here is hoping this is our first.

BobZag
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Zags need bigs starting in 2012. This kid is one of many the staff is scouting. They'll try to get the two best bigs of the bunch.

Kiddwell
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Has GU ever landed a kid from there?

Always a first time I guess.

Go Bulldogs!

We need to bust through that Sweet 16 barrier.

:]

ZagNative
10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
The Toronto Observer posted this video with/about him today on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-18NlOJcuZg). I don't know if there is a link to it in the story posted above, but FWIW ...

BTW, I'm seeing him listed as a 2013 guy, as in this July 23rd Michigan Scout stor (http://michigan.scout.com/2/985843.html)y about the Super Soph event in Orlando ...

Team Takeover (Canada) 15u-7’1” 2013 center Tanveer Bhullar looked as nimble as I’ve seen and he used his size well by nearly pinning opponents under the basket. His guards have to reward the biggest 15-year old in Canada once in a while instead of seeing a stuck defender and a lay-up opportunity. 6’8” 2013 power forward Nicholas Madray is a solid athlete who can play above the rim and get out on the break. Madray is at least a mid-major prospect and could finish higher as he has some skill and toughness. 6’1” 2013 combo guard Tyler Ennis is one of the best prospects in Canada and had me wondering if he was another “Joseph.” He handles the ball fairly well and is productive with the ball in his hands.

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
The fact that he's 16 and his arms already look like that is absurd. When I was 16, I would use my arms to remove large pieces of meat from between my teeth.

SLOZag
10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
The fact that he's 16 and his arms already look like that is absurd. When I was 16, I would use my arms to remove large pieces of meat from between my teeth.

LOL :p

gopackgozags
10-25-2010, 09:51 PM
I always love when they mention GU first on their list. Based on who he mentioned I think that's where we should be for now as well. But like he said that was after only one summer of exposure so we'll have to see where we stand down the line.

OZZY
10-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Mandray has certainly has blown up over the last 4 months due to his AAU exposure. He is from the same area as Kevin Pangos, they might even have played on a few squads together. If the Zags want him or Bennett they will have Pangos as a hook.

Coach Daniels was at Findlay a week or so ago, I'm not sure if Nick was there at the time as he doesn't show up on their roster yet.

ZagNative
10-26-2010, 02:59 PM
My impression is that Mandray wasn't going to Findlay until next year.

Kiddwell
10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Speaking of bigs, remember Bak Bak, the Cal Bears recruit who at one time had the GU coaches' attention? Well, check this out about Bak Bak's "little brother":

Originally from Sudan and raised in Nairobi, Kenya, Bak has a 6-foot-11 brother who is 10 years old and his father is 7-foot-1. Arriving in the United States just prior to his 16th birthday, Bak enrolled at American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.), but did not play basketball. In October 2007, he transferred to Village Christian and sat out the 2007-08 high school season.

TEN YEARS OLD AND 6-11? :eek:

<Here's the link. Scroll down a ways to find the article.>

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2250/page/onthetrail

ridgebackzag
10-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Speaking of bigs, remember Bak Bak, the Cal Bears recruit who at one time had the GU coaches' attention? Well, check this out about Bak Bak's "little brother":

Originally from Sudan and raised in Nairobi, Kenya, Bak has a 6-foot-11 brother who is 10 years old and his father is 7-foot-1. Arriving in the United States just prior to his 16th birthday, Bak enrolled at American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.), but did not play basketball. In October 2007, he transferred to Village Christian and sat out the 2007-08 high school season.

TEN YEARS OLD AND 6-11? :eek:

<Here's the link. Scroll down a ways to find the article.>

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2250/page/onthetrail

Unfortunately, getting that tall so early in life usually leads to medical issues early on as well. He probably won't be able to play sports too well, due to incoordination.