PDA

View Full Version : Pearl hanging by a thread

BobZag
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Not good. Very iffy. No contract. Uh-oh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5714649

And what if Tennessee TRIES TO HIRE FEW!!!!?

Bogozags
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the guy. He does right by his players and until recently, his school.

He got on his soap box chastising those that cheated and then he stooped to their level to do the exact same thing!

My dad told me one time, "All you have is your word so don't sell it cheap!" Which is what he did...

Since money talks, if they win the conference or the tournament, win a game or two at the Dance, I think all will be forgiven BUT he will be put on a short leash!

webspinnre
10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I've always liked his energy, but he's just one of those guys that has just always felt slippery to me.

gamagin
10-22-2010, 11:43 AM
stupid.

He knew what he was doing. He said it. He did it. Ban him for a few years and send a serious signal to all the cheaters that they are next.

75Zag
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
According to one of my mother's theories on human nature, you can tell whether or not somebody is dishonest by how fancy their hair is styled, with fancy hair equaling guilt (of course). Obviously Coach Cal is guilty as sin.

By the way, if you are ever charged with a crime in North Central Washington, you might want to make sure my mother is not on the jury. A great mom, maybe just not a great jurist.

Go Bulldogs!

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-22-2010, 01:17 PM
According to one of my mother's theories on human nature, you can tell whether or not somebody is dishonest by how fancy their hair is styled, with fancy hair equaling guilt (of course). Obviously Coach Cal is guilty as sin.

By the way, if you are ever charged with a crime in North Central Washington, you might want to make sure my mother is not on the jury. A great mom, maybe just not a great jurist.

Go Bulldogs!

My next jury trial defendant is a recruiting poster sailor with appropriately short hair. Would your mom be okay for his jury?

mnzag24
10-22-2010, 01:47 PM
while he might lose his job over this, the fact that he is working without a contract isnt surprising. you cant simply reduce pay in a contract, you have to do an entirely new one. I'm guessing the university is insisting on less protections for him than his previous one, given the current situation. His previous one was contract drafting mastery.

CDC84
10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I think that orange paint is turning to tar, and the Vol fans are gathering a bag full of feathers........

http://playunderreview.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bruce-pearl-paint.jpg?w=277&h=350

JPtheBeasta
10-23-2010, 12:31 PM
That was a common theory, because I have heard it before from older folks. Not sure I trust in it though. The rules should be equally applied at all times, no matter the hair or spunk or anything else.

I don't have any hair. I'm now wishing that I was more dishonest in my twenties...

MDABE80
10-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Hard to see how Pearl can survive this one. The case is getting larger instead of going to sleep which I'm sure Pearl wanted. It's just so flagrant! Others have done much worse and skated. Therein lies the problem...they skated. NOW, somebody's going to have to face the fire.
Pearl's ok but the timing for this is awful. People want punishment....somehow to set things right.

I'm sure he's angered some folks with his amazing success....jealousy being what it is. Big big trouble as the UT season is about to kick off. Jeeebbers I'm glad Few isn't touched by this type of garbage.

NJZag
10-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Not good. Very iffy. No contract. Uh-oh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5714649

And what if Tennessee TRIES TO HIRE FEW!!!!?

The at-will employment deal following the termination letter is just weird...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5715172

the fact an athletic director penned a rather eye-popping Notice of Termination of Employment Agreement that isn't in fact terminal, may have raised the bar for bewildering behavior by a university athletic department.

On Sept. 10, the school held a news conference, where a tearful Pearl admitted he lied to NCAA investigators, and publicly castigated him by docking his pay.

Yet just a day earlier, athletic director Mike Hamilton had sent a letter to Pearl, severing his contract and detailing allegations that reveal Pearl was guilty of a whole lot more than just temporarily forgetting the truth.

Bruce Pearl held a tearful news conference on Sept. 10. Just a day earlier, his contract had been terminated by the university. Somehow none of it -- not the end of the contract, not the details of Pearl's lies -- came up during the news conference. Apparently Pearl isn't the only one with convenient amnesia.

Now, thanks to a television station in Knoxville getting hold of the document, it's there for everyone to read. Not only does Pearl look bad, but so does the university. At the now-infamous barbecue where Pearl served himself up on a skewer to the NCAA, Pearl not only admitted to the recruits and families happily noshing their grub in his lovely backyard that he knew he was breaking an NCAA rule. He told the people in attendance that they were, too.

But not to worry. He didn't plan on telling anyone and would appreciate it if they'd do the same.

This summer, 20 anonymous coaches talked to me about all sorts of things, including cheating. Rules, they told me, are broken all the time but usually unintentionally -- a coach says hello to a recruit at a summer event, violating the so-called bump rule, for example.

Not Bruce Pearl. Pearl, a man once portrayed as a victim of shunning for turning in Illinois, defiantly thumbed his nose at the rulebook. Scratch that. He flaunted his defiance, with a wink-wink, nod-nod over burgers and dogs that this was just our little secret. As reprehensible as that is, what's worse is that he put the eligibility of each of those athletes in jeopardy.

Originally Posted by 75Zag

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds/Images/JamesBrown.jpg

Wearing a cap for his "how to" dance instruction video might have been a good idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz88MBWomo Probably as close as he came to a "coaching job" too. :rolleyes:

Bogozags
10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Since I just read the ESPN article, I will weigh in on this again.

I lost respect for him as a coach, teacher, mentor, parent and human being. He was in a "high" position of leadership and completely abused his position. He is a LIAR and a CHEAT and should NEVER be allowed to be in any position that would bring him close to teaching young people. His actions basically said to his recruits, their parents and his staff, that it is ok to LIE and CHEAT as long as you can get what you want.

I am in shock this university has chosen to currently retain and allow him to be affiliated with the university. What he did was far worse than Sampson's disregard for NCAA rules and he was terminated.

The university is an instrument of higher learning and it should always exemplify the highest of standards. With the inaction by University of Tennessee, are they not condoning CHEATING and LYING?

Some of you may well feel I am harsh in my criticism and "punishment" for this action, but once you are a "convicted LIAR" you can only be questioned on everything you communicate. I can trust a thief but never a liar, because you never know if they ever tell the truth!

We can have no tolerance for this action nor inaction by the organization. It all goes to credibility and neither Pearl nor the university has any credibility.

zaguarxj
10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm a Dapper Dan man.

gamagin
10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
time to cut the thread.