• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Bulletin Board Material: Steven Gray

Gary Parrish is at it again, somehow keeping his job at cbssports.com despite repeatedly demonstrating he is not very well informed on his purported area of expertise....men's college basketball.

Today he lists the Top 25 point/combo guards in the country and Steven Gray is nowhere to be found. I don't see anyone after #12 on his list I'd rate higher than Steven.

Can someone please post a hard-copy of this list in Steven's locker for me?
    Thanks

Here's the link: https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...eard-rank-no-1
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Isn't Gary Parrish all CBSSports.com has now?

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It is possible that Parrish considers Gray a wing rather than a point guard/combo guard. I don't really know how to classify Steven either so we'll see when he lists his top wings.

As a side note, not sure how you can dislike Parrish. He loves the Zags and year in, year out seems to produce solid articles or blogs about Gonzaga.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
        Bleeds Bulldog Blue
        • Feb 2007

Being pissed at Gary Parrish is like being pissed at the tooth fairly.

Why would you?
        You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Kiddwell
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Agree w/Bronco that Steven is likely on Parrish's "wings" list. After all, Parrish can't ignore the fact that both Steven and Elias are on Wooden's preseason list of 50 (at all positions).

Also agree w/Bronco's take on Parrish and the Zags. He likes us.

Finally, looking forward to see Parrish's lists on the bigs. Surely Robert will be noted. Just wondering about Kelly. Probably KO won't be on the list this year, but (as is noted on another exceedingly lively thread) many of us have high expectations for KO this season and hereafter.

Thanks for sharing, Flex!

:]
          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• ZagFanatic
            Bulldog Fan
            • Feb 2007

Wait for the Wings rankings

If you go to Gary's blog he clearly outlines which type of player is listed in each category. He also links to this explanation in the story. "Shooting guards" falls under the Wings category, so.... that's where Steven should be listed, if indeed he makes the list (which I sure hope he does).

Gary is actually a very reasonable fellow. A few of you may recall last spring when Gary posted his list of coaches he had voted on for Coach of the Year and Mark Few was not on his list. I emailed him regarding my thoughts as to why coach Few should've made it, which sparked a email dialog with Gary, and in the end he changed his list to include coach Few, included one of my comments and publicly owned up to his mistake. As far as I'm concerned, he's a very reasonable guy who has generally been very favorable toward the Zags, as indicated by his article a short time ago about the school and how unique it is in the mid-major ranks (i.e. how GU merely reloads every year with new talent, doesn't drop off in consistency).

Wait until tomorrow. Then rant, if necessary.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

Gray's a SG in my book, but everybody has different books. Could be Gary simply doesn't think Steven is top-25.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• MickMick
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

Steven has been really, really good for GU. We have all been waiting for him to be great.

There were not enough basketballs to go around as an underclassmen. He stepped up quite a bit last season but was a little overshadowed by Matt.

Now it is Steven's turn to be in the spotlight. Let's see what he can do.
                I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagFanatic View Post
                  If you go to Gary's blog he clearly outlines which type of player is listed in each category. He also links to this explanation in the story. "Shooting guards" falls under the Wings category, so.... that's where Steven should be listed, if indeed he makes the list (which I sure hope he does).

Wait until tomorrow. Then rant, if necessary.
                  Good call ZagFanatic, based on his blog clarification of categories we should expect to see both Steven and Elias listed tomorrow:

2. Shooting guards and wings

This category includes:

* Shooting guards
                  * Small forwards
                  * Power forwards who are closer to being small forwards than centers

No time or inclination to offer concrete examples from Parrish's work why I think he sucks....but he does. Why does he have to create these hybrid categories for ranking players instead of simply using the good-old, universally understood: PG, SG, SF, PF and C positions? Is there some great new insight into ranking players he's giving us by doing so, or just being full of himself?
                  Then again, maybe I'm just a bitter, middle-aged guy who wishes he had Gary's job.

Regardless, when he leaves Steven off tomorrow's list will someone please post it on Gray's bulletin board?
                  Thanks
                  As for Elias' bulletin board, well, maybe a pic of Shawn Marion for inspiration?
                  Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• webspinnre
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

The only odd thing here is that SGs are ending up with hybrid 3s which usually means a completely different game.
                    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=BobZag;595634]#22

...which is a couple spots higher than klay thompson of the cougs

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

OK, so I'll eat a little crow now that Parrish has surprised me by giving Steven Gray his just due, though I think #22 is a bit low

As for Parish's categories, I guess he sees Elias as a genuine big power forward/center rather than a power forward with Wing skills. I assume EH will be in Parrish's top 10 for PF/C

I'm tapped out on the preseason speculating.....ready for the games to begin!

Comment

Working...
                          X