PDA

View Full Version : Just Speculating ?

HillBillyZag
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
With the abundance of excellent guards on the squad , and a number of quality defenders down low in Rob , Sam , Kelly , Elias , and Manny , do 'you think we will see more 1-3-1 zone this season ? We have the Guard depth to keep pressure on the ball handler for long periods , and to double up and trap on the sides . It would seem to this fan that throwing this into the mix for a few minutes every now & then would give us additional turnovers ? Also will the five belong to Rob & Sam alone ?, or will we see Kelly spelling both of them at the five and rotating with Elias at the four ? Manny has the versatality to handle both the three & four , and when called for , Mile Hart has the toughness and hustle to fill in up front for brief periods ? At any rate , the depth and talent of this particular squad will allow Coach Few many options that he's not enjoyed in the past ? This is going to be one fun year , to think that they will just improve game by game fires this old Zag fan to the max ! As you kids say , its the BOMB! AWESOME!

maynard g krebs
10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Interesting thought. Oregon State runs it almost exclusively if memory serves, and theirs really causes problems at the point of attack for teams that are unprepared for it.

Seems, though, that it's a defense that takes a ton of practice to run effectively, so you'd really have to make it a focus. And it seems to be a defense chosen by teams that pair it with a deliberate offense, as it slows the game. I wonder if posters who know more than I do would agree?

That said, Manny, or maybe Gray, Keita or Monninghoff, could be very effective at the point of that D. I think Tarver may have led the pac-10 in steals playing that position.

gamagin
10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
If the depth is there as advertised (but not yet tried or even necessarily true under fire), I think the coaches have a great opportunity to do more than in previous seasons.

This could easily include a smaller, faster platoon off the bench, different sets as you say, and basically, give those who need a blow a blow while hopefully not losing effectiveness in the process.

Most of this seems to go against Few's coaching habits, but he and the staff brought on all this talent to expand the possibilities, I would posit, so maximizing the new fleet of athletes is a logical next step.

zag buddy
10-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I believe that with all the talent on this team it will be a real challenge for coach Few and staff to maximize their potential. Let's hope the coaching staff has a breakout year because the results the team has this year will be a direct reflexion of how good a coaching staff we have.

gozagswoohoo
10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see a little bit more pressing. With the speed and length this squad has, it seems like it could be very effective.

Then again...seems like we discussed that same thing last season. We'll see.

bigparb
10-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't expect much to change.....nothing has changed in the past.....Few's going to run what Few runs, depth and athletes be damned...... :)

one possible exception.....Daniels....I obviously don't know how profound his effect on off/def strategy will be....

guardu
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
With the abundance of excellent guards on the squad , and a number of quality defenders down low in Rob , Sam , Kelly , Elias , and Manny , do 'you think we will see more 1-3-1 zone this season ? We have the Guard depth to keep pressure on the ball handler for long periods , and to double up and trap on the sides . It would seem to this fan that throwing this into the mix for a few minutes every now & then would give us additional turnovers ? Also will the five belong to Rob & Sam alone ?, or will we see Kelly spelling both of them at the five and rotating with Elias at the four ? Manny has the versatality to handle both the three & four , and when called for , Mile Hart has the toughness and hustle to fill in up front for brief periods ? At any rate , the depth and talent of this particular squad will allow Coach Few many options that he's not enjoyed in the past ? This is going to be one fun year , to think that they will just improve game by game fires this old Zag fan to the max ! As you kids say , its the BOMB! AWESOME!

A 1-3-1 zone is the same as a 2-3. They virually look the same at different ball angles of the court. So chances are we'll see it even if it starts out with the look of a 2-3 zone. The main difference this year will hopefully be the ability to extend the zone farther than ever before creating more ball pressure.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Interesting thought. Oregon State runs it almost exclusively if memory serves, and theirs really causes problems at the point of attack for teams that are unprepared for it.

Seems, though, that it's a defense that takes a ton of practice to run effectively, so you'd really have to make it a focus. And it seems to be a defense chosen by teams that pair it with a deliberate offense, as it slows the game. I wonder if posters who know more than I do would agree?

That said, Manny, or maybe Gray, Keita or Monninghoff, could be very effective at the point of that D. I think Tarver may have led the pac-10 in steals playing that position.

It is a good defense for a team with tall, quick forwards, and quick guards. It often leads to turnovers if offenses allow the ball to get trapped in the corners. The weakness of that zone is that it is vulnerable to good outside shooting. I would not use that defense very much against St. Mary's.

titopoet
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
1-3-1 is a tough zone, cue West Virginia footage, but it also one of those defenses that takes a lot of practice and familiarity to run. It also leaves holes in the wings for open 3 point shots. Hence, why Bob ran it against Kentucky last season; he gambled that Kentucky would not hit enough 3s. If Kentucky could have just it a marginal number of open 3s they had, they would have beaten West Virgina. The question are the Zags is how much do they invest in learning an intricate new zone? Better to take Donny's expertise he learn from Ben Howland and improve on their man to man. Ultimately, pressure man to man is the best defense and if the Zags have the horses to run it, better to run it.

bballbeachbum
10-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Beilein (sp?) comes to mind; check out Michigan and WVirginia as recent good examples of this D. fun to think about this stuff.

maybe you can do it with true post players very effectively, but perhaps a better question then would be why that D with a true post player? I think it exposes a big guy potentially, but am glad to hear other opinion on that and why

anyway, long, lean, quick, w/ heart to battle opposing true posts and still win at least your share; those kind of players who box out hard and slide feet hard and don't give up extra shot after extra shot in that D; lots of 3s and 4s and big 2s types of players with heart

baseline J is invited unless someone gets hot down there; that shooter can be left behind the play giving a fast break going the other way on a long board to the middle...nice

can trap with this D or sag; cannot give up the middle...toast

could be an effective change up whatever the zone the Zags employ (they go zone plenty), but mostly my thoughts are this team is ready to get after'em man to man better than ever before. one and done type of stuff, contested tough shots without fouling, 5 to the box-out hard, then outlet and off to the races!

GO ZAGS!!!

titopoet
10-19-2010, 05:59 AM
I should mention that I am a coaching geek. http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/
Is a great site with great info on all things coaching basketball.
Here their take on Michigan's 1-3-1 and how to beat it
http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/11/michigans-1-3-1-zone-what-it-looks-like.html (http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/11/michigans-1-3-1-zone-what-it-looks-like.html)

Here is take on what Few is now running for his offense, though it is a bit dated as Few is starting to incorporate more read/react into his system. http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2009/07/breaking-down-gonzagas-ball-screening.html

He is a big time admirer of Few and his system.

For those junkies of x and os, if you get in trouble by wasting to much work time on this site. Sorry, it is fun site.