PDA

View Full Version : Best front court ever.

MickMick
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Arguably better individuals (ie. Calvary, Batista, Heytvelt), but then again, these current guys haven't peaked yet either. Can't really draw comparisons until their GU careers are over.

But as a collective group.......wow. Gu hasn't had a group like this before.

Dower, Sacre, Harris, Olynyk, and Arop. That and we still haven't had a real good look at Monninghoff yet.

This group is deep, deep, deep! Few can bet these guys like a trifecta at the horse track. It doesn't matter how many permutations he plays, it still looks like he is holding the winning ticket.

I kinda hate to sound brash, but this collective group is going to be as good as any in the country. No question about that.

bigparb
10-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Spot on Mick!!

Arguably better individuals (ie. Calvary, Batista, Heytvelt), but then again, these current guys haven't peaked yet either. Can't really draw comparisons until their GU careers are over.

Dower, Sacre, Harris, Olynyk, and Arop. That and we still haven't had a real good look at Monninghoff yet.

This group is deep, deep, deep! Few can bet these guys like a trifecta at the horse track. It doesn't matter how many permutations he plays, it still looks like he is holding the winning ticket.

I kinda hate to sound brash, but this collective group is going to be as good as any in the country. No question about that.

surfmonkey89
10-16-2010, 10:00 PM
They might be better from a quantity perspective, but I'd take JP over any of these guys 1:1.

That's not saying I don't think these guys aren't good. They are. I just think people seriously under rate Batista.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-17-2010, 03:51 AM
This frontcourt has a lot of depth, but I don't know if I'd annoint them to those lofty heights before we see a few games against top level competition. Turiaf, Morrison, and Batista was a pretty good front court, although they didn't play a lot of defense. Eaton, Calvary, and Dench was Elite 8 good. Turiaf, Viollette, Dench, and Fox was another big, deep, physical front court.

MickMick
10-17-2010, 06:20 AM
This frontcourt has a lot of depth, but I don't know if I'd annoint them to those lofty heights before we see a few games against top level competition. Turiaf, Morrison, and Batista was a pretty good front court, although they didn't play a lot of defense. Eaton, Calvary, and Dench was Elite 8 good. Turiaf, Viollette, Dench, and Fox was another big, deep, physical front court.

You are right, but we haven't seen the best from the current group either.
The advantage those previous groups had was legendary guard play to set them up. I think the backcourt gives more support this season by design. Like Few said, this team is going to work "inside/out". This will certainly pad the numbers for those statistic freaks.

No doubt that Harris can be regarded that high. Like Samhan's four year evolution, we haven't seen the best from Rob yet. KO just made the Canadian senior team to practice/play against NBA/D leaguers. Arop wowed me a couple nights ago. Dower is bigger than ever and there are rumblings of Batista like scoring ability.

I understand where you are coming from. I'm still annointing them.

Ezag
10-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Not ready to crown them kings yet. I have no doubt Harris will be the force we expect and I thing Manny will more than live up to billing, however for ,the jury is still out on Sacre and Olynyk. At this point I would still choose Turiaf/Batista over them in a heartbeat but the season is young, KO is young and it would be interesting to see what happens.

More curious that that, I am anxious to see Sam Dower's progress.

bigparb
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
They might be better from a quantity perspective, but I'd take JP over any of these guys 1:1.

That's not saying I don't think these guys aren't good. They are. I just think people seriously under rate Batista.

original post wasn't comparing individual players......but the front court as a group......

that said....if you wanted to start a best front court player in the last 20 years at GU thread, no doubt JP is going to be 1, 2 or 3 on every list we'd see....

I'll take a crack at it....

1) Turiaf
2) JP (only being here for two yrs makes it impossible to put him at #1)
3) Calvary
4) Harris
5) Jeff Brown

Hon Mention: Heytvelt, Hendrix, Sacre

If Harris has a monster year this season he could move up the list......

BigAppleZag
10-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Other than Elias, who we all know the sky is the limit...

Dower: Unproven, but we hear things about great offensive potential...
Arop: Efficient in limited playing time, hopefully this trend continues as his playing time increases...
Olynyk: Great summer, but again, lets see if the confidence gained on the Canadian national team translates to improved play at GU...
Rob: solid player, but his rebounding is lackluster for a player of his size/strength, and it remains to be seen whether he improves his troubling tendency to pick up ticky-tack fouls.

To say this group is deep is premature. We are assuming these players continue to develop at the rates we've been teased with. Just saying. Do I think that they will eventually become our best frontline ever? If all the cards align, by seasons end, I say yes.

gamagin
10-17-2010, 03:48 PM

It's the rest of the post that is just too, too premature. Patience gr####opper.

I hope they are the best ever. I hope it every year. This year's crop has a lot of possibilities. But they need to do something that hasn't happened in a long time: gel. Play like there's no tomorrow, as a team. Forty minutes per game of smart basketball. Every game.

And that is much easier said than done.

OZZY
10-17-2010, 04:25 PM

I know the point has been made in other places before, but none of these players have played a minute as upperclassmen yet. JP already had two years of post high school ball before he played as a Junior, did anyone project him as better than Calvary/Turiaf at that time?

I am very confident that as much as posters loved JP, that all four of these players could end up better than him by the time they finish at GU.

Just wait till Kelly starts playing with the confidence that he showed this summer, I can't believe that some are saying the jury is still out on him.

matty1090
10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
like the title says, wow really? Violette, Turiaf, and Fox were WORLDS above what we have now. Calvary Dench and Spink were also WAY better. Dont put all your eggs in one basket little youngster, this is not going to be a GREAT team. It will be a very good team, fun to watch I'm sure. But I predict you are a freshman, and your delusions of grandeur will subside after a few years of watching GU. You have to watch basketball outside of GU to make a statement as bold as "best in the country". Come on man, it makes zag fans look pretty bad. Im picking on you because there are many, MANY more of you out there. All I'm saying is to do your homework, take a look at the players that conferrences like the big east produce, and then tell me if you think were the BEST front court in the nation.

former1dog
10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Best frontcourt ever was when we had
Turiaf, Batista and Morrison backed up by Sean Mallon and David Pendergraft. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

maynard g krebs
10-18-2010, 09:44 AM
original post wasn't comparing individual players......but the front court as a group......

that said....if you wanted to start a best front court player in the last 20 years at GU thread, no doubt JP is going to be 1, 2 or 3 on every list we'd see....

1) Turiaf
3) Calvary
4) Harris
5) Jeff Brown

Can't disagree overall, but I'd say Casey was the most valuable big in the modern era. 7 tourney wins, the two game-winning tipins v. Fla and Va, double digit rebound av. in 10 tourney games. He and Matt S are the two foundational players without which none of what we enjoy now could have happened

matty1090
10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Turiaf, Batista and Morrison backed up by Sean Mallon and David Pendergraft. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Oh yea, definitely up there, thats for sure. I'd go so far as to say that was one of our more talented teams we've produced. How many top ten teams did we beat that year? #3 Georgia Tech, #3 Oklahoma State, and a one seed in Washington (I believe they were #14 at the time). I'd pick that team over Morrison's senior year any day.

bigparb
10-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Personally, I wasn't factoring in SF in my front court....just PF/C....BTW, I'm not going to get into whether Elias should be a SF or PF....whole nother thread...

Dang....and I forgot to list "The Forgotten Man" Pendo as Hon Men.....

Vizagra
10-18-2010, 11:32 AM

1) Turiaf
3) Calvary
4) Harris
5) Jeff Brown

No way Cory Violette doesn't make this list...or at the very least Honorable Mention.

bigparb
10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Shiatzu!!! Can't believe I didn't list Violette.....he's #5....

FlyZag
10-18-2010, 02:55 PM
There's no reason I can think that Elias Harris should be ranked above Cory Violette at this juncture in time. Violette was a great post, and would be in the NBA(solid back up center) if he were taller.

Mal, I rarely agree with you... however, you are spot on with this one.

LynetteG
10-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Being a horseplayer I can tell you with those 5 guys the number of permutations for a trifecta = 60 :)

BobZag
10-18-2010, 05:06 PM
You're on your own on this one, Mick. :)

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-18-2010, 06:18 PM
You're on your own on this one, Mick. :)

I'll stand with Mick Mack against the legions of doubters.

Go forth, Mick Mack, and continue your gallant crusade to proclaim the glory of the 2010-2011 front court greatness. Stand tall and know that the Martin Centre Mad Man truly believes in your cause.

MickMick
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I'll stand with Mick Mack against the legions of doubters.

Go forth, Mick Mack, and continue your gallant crusade to proclaim the glory of the 2010-2011 front court greatness. Stand tall and know that the Martin Centre Mad Man truly believes in your cause.

Glad I have a convert Martin :)

By the way, can you tell me what Donny Daniels level of expertise is?

What, exactly, is he known for? (besides recruiting?)

Let me help: (http://www.bruinsnation.com/2010/3/30/1397507/hoops-roundup-howland-dismisses)

This is kind of a surprise since I always though Coach Daniels have been doing a good job at UCLA. He has been with Coach Howland from the very beginning. Among the current Howland assistants he was the only one with solid track record of developing big guys (such as RH, KL, PAA, and LMR). Perhaps Coach Daniels is looking for a fresh start and can't blame him for that. Hope it all works out for him.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-20-2010, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=MickMick;595282]Glad I have a convert Martin :) QUOTE]

All sarcasm aside, you might be right about this crew. This front court is going to be very deep at the 3-5 positions with size and athleticism at every spot. By tournament time, this could be a very, very special group.